Radio 1 DJ jailed

DRC

Radio 1 DJ Grooverider has been jailed for four years in Dubai for possession of cannabis.The 40-year-old - real name Raymond Bingham - was arrested at the city's airport on November 23 after flying in for a nightclub gig. Customs officials found 2.16 grams of cannabis in his luggage.The DJ has denied deliberately smuggling drugs into the country and claimed to have accidentally left them in a trouser pocket."It's ridiculous. I must have forgotten the spliff. It was a small amount. Back home I would not even get prosecuted," he said last month in an interview from his prison cell.Grooverider has been with Radio 1 since 1998 and co-hosts the weekly Fabio and Grooverider show at 2am each Sunday. Since his arrest, the programme has continued without him. He was employed on a freelance basis and hasn't been paid by the station since November.A Radio 1 spokesman said: "He has made a serious mistake and he is paying a very high price."Four years is the minimum sentence for drug trafficking in the United Arab Emirates and the most serious offences are punishable by the death penalty.As Dubai becomes an increasingly popular tourist destination, officials are taking a hardline approach to drugs possession. In the last 12 months, 64 British nationals have been arrested in the UAE for drugs offences, according to the Foreign Office.
Thats a flop and a half

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to be either stupid or retarded to think you can get away with things like this lightly over there.He'll think it over in his prison innit.
Im surprised they didn't kill him.I heard in them Al countries they kill people for smuggling in drugs, som Marlie brer told me
'Them Al countries'LOL, your stupidity and ignorance is second to none on this forum.

You have to be either stupid or retarded to think you can get away with things like this lightly over there.He'll think it over in his prison innit.
Im surprised they didn't kill him.I heard in them Al countries they kill people for smuggling in drugs, som Marlie brer told me
4 years is the minimum time for any drug offence.Death penalty for larger amounts aka bobby big balls

'Them Al countries'LOL, your stupidity and ignorance is second to none on this forum.
LOL I'm playin man

AHR f*ck OFF....man dats such a f*ckin pisstake, its not even a significant amount, sum crumbs of a percy. i understand its smuggling, but 4 years dats waaaaaaay to harsh, n its only f*ckin weed wot the hell.hmm i guess in the end u cant argue wid the countries politics especially if u dnt live der....man shud of read up on smuggling policies in dem countries before he jetter der, or better still leave it back home n link sum hash out der, im sure der wud be sum there.

still i reckon being dubai...there prisons there are probably 5 star
Jail is jail in dubai. dirty, over-crowded, matress pon the floor jobbyThen when u get outta ya cell camels just walking past spitting in yo face and ting. not a good look