Sway (Feat. Akon) - Silver & Gold

Agony

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In what sense?
Just listen and your see for yourself.I'm all for giving credit when credit is due, I'm all for a man hyping himself, but Sway came into the game very light hearted, to me I still think thats where his music excels, my issue is he takes himself WAY too serious now, be it musically or just selling himself, its a bit like when The Spice Girls got beats of Rodney Jerkins and Jam & Lewis and thought they was a credible RnB group and immediately alienate everyone that liked them cos it was a bit like come on girls, thats not you, you got your lane stay in it... By all means be hard when it comes to the business stuff behind the scenes or else your get ran over, but you'd think the rap game in this country started and ended with him or that he the only person that been beyond the M25 in musical achievements.

its a decent track but just decent nor more different than all the other decent stuff out there. the semantics about dist/label is secondary.. its gonna be very hard to break sway cos hes just avg..nothing unique about him apart form he speaks/rap different..but his rapping/flow is sh*t, i don't see how they are going to take him from a very avg person to become something big.the buying British public wont buy into him unless hes as good as what they normally buy.
Pardon? Whether you like Sway or not he is sick with the flows.

If Akon walks any artist into ANY record label in the U.S. and says look I believe in this guy, he can rap, produce and he can make good songs, he's the man in England, I'm gonna help him creatively, be on his album/single and if you need me to make a call to a DJ/radio station I'll do it, if BET/TRL need me to turn up just to give him a slot, I'm gonna be there, I'm gonna hit the road with him. Sway/whoever will get signed there and then.The problem is will Akon do it, then while Akon can do that and obviously if he signs you to his company he obviously believes in you and wants to do it, this is still a investment which he wishes to maximise his profits on, so he'll rather wait till he or Sway can generate a good/solid U.S. buzz.
if this post was in response to mine, then you answered it yourself. its not the problem of who the person is with, its the problem of the attitude of the british artist, along with the luke warm interest made to look like its a major event..when its not. if sway WAS infact the hottest person that akon sees he could maximise profits from then he would "DO IT". but he isnt..so akon and others will only be prepared to go so far. as with ur friends, lady sov, jay sean, 2much, and a few others. and flojo..thats semantics.

as with ur friends, lady sov, jay sean, 2much, and a few others. and flojo..thats semantics.
true but different circumstanceAkon has put niggas out eg Tpain etclady sov was signed to def jam i thought? lol at def jam full stop if ur not jeezy, ross, neyo, rhianna right nowjay sean we will wait and see, if hes signed to Young Money like Tyga and Jae Millz id say, we aint seeing no album soon if everBut im sure Baby sh*t out for Jay Sean, marketing dollars etc, deals probally not even done yet, i assume they gonna make him some Asian Bobby Valentino character dont even know who 2much is

Also i wish UK acts would help each other out morePeople who already broken Americafor example M.I.A (i know shes indie or whatever)its funny how its probally easier for Sway to hook up with Akon now cus that chick getting Jay z to spit verses on her sh*t also Estelle, Duffy even Adele has some form of following state sidepeople like this need to be called up for callabos,

In what sense?
Just listen and your see for yourself.I'm all for giving credit when credit is due, I'm all for a man hyping himself, but Sway came into the game very light hearted, to me I still think thats where his music excels, my issue is he takes himself WAY too serious now, be it musically or just selling himself, its a bit like when The Spice Girls got beats of Rodney Jerkins and Jam & Lewis and thought they was a credible RnB group and immediately alienate everyone that liked them cos it was a bit like come on girls, thats not you, you got your lane stay in it... By all means be hard when it comes to the business stuff behind the scenes or else your get ran over, but you'd think the rap game in this country started and ended with him or that he the only person that been beyond the M25 in musical achievements.
Like this...
If Sway's willing to look like an ass/stereotype of an Englishman/comedy pop act (Slim Shady minus the violence), he will stand a better chance in US. His delivery doesnt sound like hes seriously believes in himself, hence why I feel he excels in jokes songs as opposed to obituaries (sp.) on the album. Yeah, he is actually funny, but they more fit the character to me.Songs like this and SNH dont endear you to the personality we grew to like when he featured with Terri Walker and Mitchell Bros.

as with ur friends, lady sov, jay sean, 2much, and a few others. and flojo..thats semantics.
true but different circumstanceAkon has put niggas out eg Tpain etclady sov was signed to def jam i thought? lol at def jam full stop if ur not jeezy, ross, neyo, rhianna right nowjay sean we will wait and see, if hes signed to Young Money like Tyga and Jae Millz id say, we aint seeing no album soon if everBut im sure Baby sh*t out for Jay Sean, marketing dollars etc, deals probally not even done yet, i assume they gonna make him some Asian Bobby Valentino character dont even know who 2much is
i dont see it as different. lady sov came out before rhianna didnt she? sway is no Tpain.. Tpain is a sick producer and had a unique way of doing stuff.. what is sway about. thats just me anyways..but so far ive not been made to eat my words

Lady Sovereign had a outstanding opportunity, nobody from the UK has had what she had, including Estelle. Def Jam really believed in her, still to this day seeing the HUGE posters of her in the NY Def Jam office makes me shiver.This chick was on David Letterman people...Unfortunately for a girl who didnt even really do pirate radio in the UK, or REALLY REALLY grind before her deal, it was all too much, too soon.

what im saying is Def Jam is not a strong look anymore, sad but truewhere as Kon Live is...plus obviously Sway is gonna be known as a English rapper, thats gonna be unique selling point state sideSway isnt one to sit around, he one of the only heads that been touring, and mans good with the networking obviously like Pyrouk was saying he managed to link americans like Lupe and Chamillionare etche put out the album himself etc etcAKon probally gonna compare him to Slick Rick the Ruler like Juelz and the dipset man used to do with SAS

fair enoughi was basing the def jam ting on like for exampleGhostFace Killah never really will get a push or seen as a priorty anymorecus his fan base is smaller, or people willing to pay for a album is smallernow if u compare ghost to sway or most uk artists infact, there current following is probally even bellow if as high as Ghostsso i assume that Sway or Giggs or SAS will always get a kind of "ghostface" kind of push from def jam, due to there status, smaller scale followingsi base this on nothing of course its just how i think it works in my head

Sway wont be a priority to Geffen IMO. Look at Kardinal, and he from Canada, and put in work in the US for YEARS prior with a following there.Ghostface problem is he been spoilt from how the labels use to be, its too hard for him to adapt and ultimately he aint hungry enough to work with it.Even when you aint priority release, its an excuse cos really its down to you to get your project pushed up or taken more seriously, you just have to be pro-active and use the tools around you from the machine, which is what I think you was saying about Sway.