Haye v Valuev

The King

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

prophet i would love 2 chop it up with u all day but ur just not receptive to what i type, u go off on ur own agenda and basically ignore the main points of my argument
Not even, I just disagree. I feel he was lucky to get it, you feel the other way so it may appear I'm not listening. Its not that, I disagreeSome of the rounds were so close judges could have looked at anything to score it. They even said he is an adopted German so youre wrong on that.Haye is superior to him technically, no question about it, but that isn't what wins you fights if you arent making use of your talent. Choosing to dance around on the back foot - albeit looking slick doing so - isnt going to win you the fight if you are seen to be adopting anti-boxing tactics. I feel he deserved it in the end, but lucky to get it

prophet i would love 2 chop it up with u all day but ur just not receptive to what i type, u go off on ur own agenda and basically ignore the main points of my argument
Haye is superior to him technically, no question about it, but that isn't what wins you fights if you arent making use of your talent. Choosing to dance around on the back foot - albeit looking slick doing so - isnt going to win you the fight if you are seen to be adopting anti-boxing tactics.
That was not my point though. My point was it is about quality of punches landed in pro boxing. Compubox stats will back me up on this. Haye landed something like 67% of punches thrown to Valuevs 13%...... Haye rarely jabbed, Valuev only jabbed.From that - you don't even need to be watching the fight to know who landed more telling blows. That is the primary reason the judges gave it to Haye. The secondary reason (if there was any doubt) was because technically he was clearly the superior boxer.

I take that on board, however there were certain rounds where not many punches were landed. You put up a percentage, but how about actual figures of how many punches were thrown:landed?As you know, fights are scored round-by-round not after the fight has finished. An overall statistic doesnt tell the whole story. Certain rounds have higher volumes of punches than others.That is the reason why one judge scored it level. If those stats are anything to go by, with the other 2 judges scoring it 4 rounds to Haye, they obviously saw another fight because 67% to 13% should signify a landslide victory no?You are correct in that there isnt a "rule" you have to beat the champion. It is an unwritten rule though

And as far as I'm aware there is no rule in boxing that you have to "Take the belt" as in, win the fight in a more convincing manner in order to defeat someone who holds a belt. Which makes the dirrell froch fight even more confusing as that was most peoples main argument for that decision...
I didn't understand this explanation either.But Dirrell's own promoter said this. I think he must have meant that if you're challenging for a title in a champ's hometown then you have to be convicing to to persuade the judges and nullify the crowd influence on the judges etc. the idea that you have to batter the chamop to take his title is a poor explanation for a dubious decision.I think part of the problem is that there can be a fine line being fighting defensively (avoiding taking punches, stick and move etc.) and being seen as refusing to engage with your opponent/stopping the fight from happening.