Reserve Highlights

Francis Coquelin

To get the low-down on Armand Traoré, I caught up with Adam Digby, a freelance Italian football journalist. He gave me the Juve perspective on Traoré.What was the feeling when Armand signed for Juventus?“In all honesty one of general indifference, a real feeling of “if he’s not good enough for Arsenal how can he help us?” However I would temper that with an understanding that he was a similar player to the first choice leftback, Paolo De Ceglie, which showed some thought had gone into it.”How has the season been, and what part did Armand played in it?“The season for Juventus has clearly been terrible and sadly Armand has played very little part in it, making just ten appearances and struggling with injury, fitness and personal problems.”What would you consider his highlights this season?“It is very difficult to provide a ‘highlight’. He has been a consistent performer and done well when he has been available. His defensive play, positioning and tactical intelligence are much improved and it is no small compliment to say he fits in well among Serie A defenders. The game against Milan, a 1-0 defeat, was probably his best performance, showcasing his closing down, recovery pace and newfound defensive attributes.”What would you consider his low-lights this season?“His prolonged absences. It was mid-November before he was fit to play, then in late January he lost his father and this deeply affected him. He missed almost a month.”What does the future hold and do you think he’ll make the grade at Arsenal?“I think he’ll ultimately return to Arsenal, although I would not rule out remaining in Turin entirely. He hasn’t truly shown his ability for either club to date, but I firmly believe he could be a solid back up player at either club. He has shown the ability to improve his weaknesses and if a year in Serie A has made him a better defender then it is to the credit of Arsenal for sending him to Juventus.”
Young Guns

To get the low-down on Benik Afobe, I caught up with Doug Thomson, a football writer for the Huddersfield Examiner. He gave me the Terriers perspective on Afobe.What was the feeling when Benik signed for Huddersfield?“Lee Clark told me that he had signed Benik back in November, and I was very excited about it. He told us what a top prospect he was, what a good youth system Arsenal had, and how he had listened to Arsene Wenger at coaching seminars and built up a relationship with him. Lee was very pleased that a club like Arsenal considered Huddersfield a suitable place for one of their young players to gain experience.”How has the season been, and what part did Benik play in it?“Benik’s early time at Town was interrupted by him returning to Arsenal for Youth Cup and Reserve games, and also for treatment to injuries, and some supporters questioned whether the loan was worthwhile. Lee Clark, however, was insistent that he wanted to keep the player, and he was proved correct, because Benik became increasingly influential within the team, especially in away games when he played as the central striker in a three-man frontline.”What would you consider his highlights this season?“His biggest high has to be his two-goal and assist haul in the 3-2 win at champions Brighton.”What would you consider his low-lights this season?“Probably missing out on the chance to face his parent club in the FA Cup which would have been intriguing.”What does the future hold and do you think he’ll make the grade at Arsenal?“It’s always hard to tell how young players will develop, and chances at a big club like Arsenal are always going to be fewer than at lower-division teams, but from what we’ve seen Benik certainly has a chance, especially if he can hone his finishing skills.”Any other stats, facts or little pieces of extra information?“Benik’s scored eight goals in 35 appearances, 21 of which have been starts. He started the last 11 games running.”“It’s fair to say he became a fans’ favourite, and was very popular with his teammates. From a journalist’s point of view, he’s a dream – always polite and ready to talk. He makes good points and is very down to earth.”
Young Guns.

• 1 month later...
Pogba probably is the one that going anywhere in the game tho.
Yeah you can tell whose going to make it.They always seem to run that couple of yards faster, always seem to be in oceans of space, always seem to do things at ease and do the right things like pick the perfect ball.Yeah Pogba definatly reminds me of someone going large.

• 4 months later...