Reserve Highlights

Francis Coquelin

I think he's scored 20 league goals and 3 assists. Statistically he's well good, helped Lorient get a possible place in Europe.He's like the french league David Villa, they say.Dont know if he would be good in Prem League to be honest. Can see him going to a Spanish team instead.

• 2 weeks later...
To get the low-down on Henri Lansbury, I caught up with Michael Bailey, a sports journalist who works for the Eastern Daily Press and PinkUn.com. He gave me the Norwich perspective on Lansbury’s time in Norfolk.What was the feeling when Henri signed for Norwich?“I think initially there was a little surprise, given City were flushed with midfielders. But his debut came in the 4-1 home win over Ipswich, which he started, and Lansbury’s performance whetted the appetite perfectly. His energy and quality on the ball shone through that day, and consistently after.”How has the season been, and what part did Lansbury played in it?“As you can imagine, the season has been magical for all Norwich fans. From the depths of League One football, then going on to complete back-to-back promotions without the need for the play-offs. It’s a rare achievement for any club, let alone Norwich.”“As for Lansbury, he contributed a great deal to it: Four goals in 23 appearances, including the winner against Millwall with the final kick of the game that was really special. An equaliser at Leeds, followed by his now cult Dougie dance, and a substitute appearace for the final nine minutes against Bristol City at home that turned one point into three. There have been plenty of star performers for Norwich this season, but Lansbury is definitely up there with them.”What would you consider his highlights this season?“His appearance against Bristol City was probably key, having such a dramatic effect on the game, at a time when a win took Norwich second in the Championship on a Monday night, after their promotion rivals had all slipped up. It was a big moment in the season.”What would you consider his low-lights this season?“Nothing really. Maybe the fact that later in his spell, he wasn’t getting in the starting XI due to how settled City were. I’m sure that was a little frustrating for him. But still, when he came on he looked the part. He always seemed committed to the cause, and the opposition would have almost certainly looked at having someone like him to come on from the bench as a sign of City’s strength in depth.”What does the future hold and do you think he’ll make the grade at Arsenal?“It’s difficult to say. He is still young and at Premier League level, there are things you just cannot get away with. He does like the odd Hollywood pass, and they don’t always come off. That said, he has fantastic quality on the ball, some serious commitment and, for me, I think Arsenal could have done with him at times this season, let alone in the future. I would be surprised if he didn’t feature more at the Emirates next season.”Any other stats, facts or little pieces of extra information?“It’s worth noting that the Norwich fans at the open top bus parade were chanting for Lansbury to sign for another year on loan. I personally believe Paul Lambert will have an eye on permanent signings first, but most would welcome him back here with open arms in the Premier League next season.”
http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2011/05/loanees-analysis-henri-lansbury/

It's rare a player will go on loan to a club and that clubs fans/regular viewers say, yeah he'll definitely return back to Arsenal and make it... I doubt any Bolton fans thought Jack Wilshere would be PFA Young Player of the season, but he was.TBH most Norwich fans will tell you if Gibbs can be making a name for himself at Arsenal and played for England, then Lansbury can...

Henri LansburyHenri played a key role in helping Norwich win automatic promotion from the Championship to the Premier League. Initially joining in November, the midfielder was an instant hit at Carrow Road and had a one-month deal extended to January following some sparkling displays. The loan was again extended, this time until the end of the season, at the end of January and Henri continued as an active member of Paul Lambert’s side, making 24 appearances, as the Canaries secured a return to the top flight. He scored four goals, including a last-gasp winner against Bristol City in March, and came on as a late substitute at Portsmouth as Norwich secured their promotion with victory at Fratton Park. “It’s a massive step going from the Reserves to the first-team so I think going out on loan helps you,” Lansbury told Arsenal.com in April. “Coming here and playing first-team football is massive. “I’m upset I’m not doing it at Arsenal but maybe my time will come. You’ve got to make a name for yourself and I’m trying to do that here. I definitely want to push for a first-team place [at Arsenal] and I’ve got to do that by working hard and showing the boss what I can do.” David Cuffley of the Norwich Evening News: “His very first match was the derby against Ipswich and he had a hand in two or three of the goals. They beat Ipswich 4-1 on his debut and that was the biggest crowd Norwich have had for 26 years. So he went straight into that type of atmosphere and he seemed to revel in it. “Getting regular first-team action has probably done him good and he has been playing in front of packed houses. Norwich have had their best average attendances for 38 years and have been selling out game after game. Virtually every game since he has been here has been a big game because they have been in a play-off position or an automatic [promotion] position pretty much all season. “He had this knack of getting goals at vital times. In a game against Millwall at the start of February he scored the winner in stoppage time. In the game against Bristol City, he came off the bench ten minutes form the end with the score at 1-1, scored with a minute to go and then set up a goal for Andrew Surman in stoppage time. So he transformed two games, very late on, from draws into victories. “Paul Lambert has made the point that, although Lansbury is on loan, when he is with the other players it seems like he is one of their own because he is as committed to the whole thing as the full-time players. “He has got an edge to his game that went down well. He puts himself about and is not afraid to get stuck in. The Norwich fans have taken to him well. He’s got this strange dance and when he scores he has developed it as a goal celebration. At the end of season dinner, Lambert made him go on stage and perform it in front of about 450 guests! He seems to be very popular.”
http://www.arsenal.com/news/reserves-news/loan-review-henri-lansbury-norwich-city

Carlos VelaCarlos joined West Brom in January to continue his development and gain valuable further first-team experience in the Premier League. He scored two vital equalisers to help steer Roy Hodgson’s side to safety, netting a last-gasp leveller against local rivals Wolves and then snatching a late point in an away trip to Stoke the following week. However, the Mexican struggled to hold down a regular starting place as the Baggies climbed to the safety of mid-table, making just three starts and five substitute appearances.Steve Madeley of the Express and Star“I think it has probably been frustrating for him and he probably hasn’t made the overall impact that both clubs would have wanted him to make. He didn’t make enough of an impact in the time he was given. He didn’t play badly but he didn’t play well enough to really nail down a place. “Having said that, he scored two goals that arguably kick-started a renaissance under Roy Hodgson. The equaliser against Wolves was in Hodgson’s first game in charge of the team and his goal prevented the reign kicking off with a defeat. In the very next game, he scored against Stoke. Those two points were the foundation on which West Brom went on to escape relegation. “Any player who scores such an important goal against Wolves will always be liked by West Brom fans. It is a big thing up here, scoring against Wolves. “I’m sure both he and Arsenal would have wanted him to start more games. While he is obviously a talented player, he wasn’t really what West Brom needed at the time. They needed an out-and-out centre forward to compliment Peter Odemwinge and Vela isn’t that player.”

Craig EastmondCraig joined Championship side Millwall in January on loan until the end of the season. The midfielder made his debut in a 2-0 win against Barnsley the following week but struggled to break into Kenny Jackett’s side as they pushed for a play-off place. He made four starts and two substitute appearances before his season was ended in April when he sustained a small fracture to his fibula in training. Toby Porter of South London Press: “When I saw him play for a sustained length of time, I was impressed with his technical ability and his nous. But he didn’t get enough playing time to really stamp an impression on fans. “Craig can both hold and create and that impressed me. He retained the ball with skill rather than sheer brute force, which you can get in the Championship. “Jackett thought he was good defensively and put him on late on in games to solidify things. The manager was impressed with what he saw but he is very young to be given a lot of responsibility in a team pushing for the play-offs.”
Sanchez WattAfter spending the final two months of last season at Leeds, Sanchez rejoined Simon Grayson’s side on a season-long loan in August. Despite making his mark with some exciting performances at the beginning of the campaign, he was hampered by several injuries that limited his playing time throughout the season. “Playing in the Championship makes you push yourself more, rather than playing in the Reserves,” he told Arsenal.com in January. “You are playing against men and it’s all about the three points. I’m enjoying it up here, they are treating me like family and giving me a lot of confidence.”Sanchez impressed on a return to Emirates Stadium as the Yorkshire side earned an FA Cup Third-Round replay in January, an experience he enjoyed every minute of. “Obviously I’m going to give my all for Leeds. I’m 19 and I’m glad to be playing in big games like this with all eyes on me to see how I do. I’m glad I performed. Every time I play I try and give my all. I didn’t want to let myself down, Arsenal down or Leeds down. It was an odd feeling but I think I did well,” he said. The midfielder made 12 starts and 13 substitute appearances as Leeds finished seventh and just missed out on the play-offs. Richard Sutcliffe of the Yorkshire Evening Post: “He has been in and out really. Leeds had him last season and got him back because they liked what they saw but it’s not really happened for him. “He’s probably been a victim of the fact that Leeds play with a front four, Robert Snodgrass, Luciano Becchio, Jonny Howson and Max Gradel, and all four have done really well so his chances have been limited. “He’s also had a hamstring problem for a lot of the season. I would have thought he will go back to Arsenal feeling a bit frustrated and it’s not necessarily been his fault. “The Leeds fans liked him and, particularly during the last few months of the season when he was fit, I think they would like to have seen a bit more of him. “Leeds went with the same line-up towards the end of the season, when results weren’t quite going for them, and Watt had a couple of good games coming from the bench. You thought ‘why not start with him?’ But it never really happened for him.”

Mark RandallMark joined Rotherham on a three-month loan in October. The 21-year-old suffered a tough start to his spell at the Don Valley Stadium, breaking his collarbone just 21 minutes into his debut against Southend United. But he recovered well and scored with a spectacular 25-yard effort on his return from injury in a 5-0 thumping of Port Vale on January 1. His stay was extended until the end of the season but he found opportunities hard to come by and made just three starts and seven substitute appearances. Ian Appleyard of the Yorkshire Evening Post: “He was unlucky with the injury because that kept him out for a few months. When he did come back in, Ronnie Moore spoke positively about what he could bring to the side. “The club expected to get automatic promotion to League One but, despite a positive start to the season, results faded which ultimately led to the departure of Moore. They then brought in Andy Scott and, under the new manager, he hasn’t played since February.”
Randall I think confirmed on Facebook he is leaving Arsenal at the end of next month.
Vito MannoneVito joined Championship side Hull on a short-team deal in October and was initially expected to return to Arsenal in January. The 22-year-old excelled at the KC Stadium and didn’t experience defeat in seven games before the deal was extended until the end of the season at the start of January. He endured a two-month spell on the sidelines with a thigh injury but returned in April to help Hull to a 3-1 win over Doncaster, pulling off a series of vital saves. The goal Vito conceded in that victory was only the sixth time he had been beaten in over 13 hours of football.Hull took 21 points from the ten games the Arsenal loanee featured in before a shoulder problem ended his season prematurely in April. Nick Wood of the Hull Daily Mail: “He came in January, has done exceptionally well ever since and he seems to have enjoyed it. I know, from speaking to him, that manager Nigel Pearson has been very impressed with him. Pearson said that Mannone was the first-choice goalkeeper when he was fit. “Unfortunately, he got an injury and that led to Hull getting another loan goalkeeper, Brad Guzan from Aston Villa. Mannone then came back but suffered another injury. But the time he did play coincided with Hull’s resurgence in form and he would have been responsible for them getting to within touching distance of the play-offs. “He commands his area very well, he is a good shot-stopper, his distribution is very good and he looked the part. With him behind the back four, Hull let in very few goals and, when he was in the team, they had their best run of form. “Hull went on a record-breaking run of 17 away games without suffering defeat and he was very much a part of that. With him behind the back four they were extremely hard to beat in that period. “Up until the end of April, Hull were a formidable side and looked like they were going to make the play-offs. They ran out of steam and that was without him in the team. If he had stayed in the team they probably would have had a better chance.”

ARSENAL midfielder Henri Lansbury, 20, is likely to be sold if he does not agree a new deal by the start of next season.He was on loan at Norwich last season but is desperate to break into the Arsenal side and wants reassurances about his future before committing.

gun__1305280581_coquelin_lorient.jpgLol. Them enforcers there.
Francis CoquelinAfter joining Ligue 1 side Lorient on a season-long loan last summer, Francis cemented his place under Christian Gourcuff with a string of fine performances. The French midfielder got some valuable experience under his belt, making 24 appearances and scoring once.“I have really improved through the last six months,” he told the Official Arsenal Magazine in February. “The first thing is tactically. The Lorient coach, Gourcuff, is very rigorous. He is a very tactical manager and I knew I would improve a lot under him. I listen a lot and learn a lot with him. “I [have] improved also in my overall game. The reason for that is that I am playing much more with the first-team than when I was at Arsenal where I was mostly with the Reserves. “The more I have played here, the stronger I have become. I am very happy with my progress. I was aware of my abilities and I knew what I wanted to achieve here: play a lot, get some experience and improve.” Lorient manager Christian Gourcuff speaking in February:“He has improved a lot already in his use of the ball and in how he controls the game. When he arrived, he was making the wrong choices with the ball at times - now, he is more accurate and pertinent.“Francis’ performances have been very good and he has been a pleasant surprise for us this season. He is clever and a good lad to have in the squad but most importantly he is talented and it is easy for a coach to have players like him in my team. “I really believe that his loan here will be great for Francis, for us and for Arsenal. If Arsène Wenger loaned him here at Lorient, it’s because he knew that Francis would be in the same set up as Arsenal.”
Gilles SunuGilles joined Francis at Lorient in January, moving to the north of France for the remainder of the season. With in-form striker Kevin Gameiro one of the league’s top goalscorers, the young striker was limited to nine substitute appearances.

Jay Emmanuel-ThomasJay joined Championship side Cardiff in January with Dave Jones’ side pushing for automatic promotion to the Premier League. The striker made an impressive debut in a 4-2 win over Watford and went on to make 16 appearances for the Bluebirds, scoring twice. Cardiff were pipped to second place in the Championship by Henri Lansbury’s Norwich and faced Reading in the Play-Off Semi-Finals. Jay started both legs of the tie but couldn’t prevent Cardiff losing 3-0 on aggregate.Terry Phillips of the South Wales Echo “The problem he had at Cardiff was that they had seven loan players and could only include five in one game. Two of those were goalkeepers, Craig Bellamy and Seyi Olofinjana were always going to play so somebody had to miss out and it was either Jason Koumas or Jay.“The fans liked him and he scored a couple of goals including a cracking one at Hull. They liked the fact that he had a go and you could see that he wanted to do well. He showed a lot of talent in his 16 appearances and the fans took to him.“Dave Jones dipped Jay in and out of the team because he was a youngster, and the loan situation didn’t help, but he was always supportive of him and was chuffed with a few of the things he did. Jay didn’t moan when he was out of the team - he waited for his chance and took it. He’s got a lot of talent but he just needs to bring it together.“He played in the wide areas mainly. He would have hoped to play more games but he doesn’t seem like a kid who will sulk because he wasn’t playing. He seems to appreciate that he is still learning.“Jay deserved to play more and he had a go when he came on from the bench. He scored a second-half goal against Sheffield United after coming off the bench and was always willing to run at defenders, willing to run into areas and get involved.”

To get the low-down on Carlos Vela, I caught up with Chris Lepkowski, a football writer who covers West Brom for the Birmingham Mail. He gave me the Baggies perspective on Vela.What was the feeling when Carlos signed for West Brom?“The feeling was one of excitement, certainly among the fans. They were in a mess at the time, Peter Odemwingie was misfiring a little and the club needed a lift.”How has the season been, and what part did Carlos play in it?“The season has been a great success from Albion’s point of view. Less so for Carlos. His biggest misfortune was to go five weeks without a game. He scored a very late equaliser against Wolves in Roy Hodgson’s first game, which will guarantee him cult status whenever he’s passing through West Bromwich, and then did the same at Stoke.”“He then went about six weeks without football. Since then his appearances have been sporadic. He started against Spurs and did reasonably well but struggled against Villa. His last outing was against Wolves. He wasn’t seen after that.”What would you consider his highlights this season?“Scoring against Wolves and Stoke were highlights. The nature of goals were important, too; late equalisers.”What would you consider his low-lights this season?“His disappearance from the first-team towards end was a shame. He never settled and that five-six week break was the turning point.”What does the future hold and do you think he’ll make the grade at Arsenal?“I think he’ll struggle to break into Arsenal’s first team. He’s got very good ability, technique and looked a good finisher, but he didn’t offer much else. Was quite lightweight and drifted out of games too. Perhaps he needs a team who aren’t scrapping away – although Albion’s style of play is fairly open.”Any other stats, facts or little pieces of extra information?“Nothing really, sadly. He wasn’t the talisman Albion hoped for, but he certainly has a bright future.”
Young Guns.

Ignasi Miquel has been called up to the Spain squad for the Under-20 World Cup to be held in Columbia between July 29 and August 20. The 18-year-old defender has enjoyed a breakthrough season with Arsenal and made his first-team debut against Leyton Orient in the FA Cup on February 20.Miquel was handed a second senior start in the replay against Orient and also made a number of appearances on the bench with injuries depleting Arsène Wenger’s defensive options. Spain begin their campaign on July 31 against Costa Rica in Manizales. They then meet Ecuador at the same venue on August 3 and finish their Group C fixtures on August 6 against Australia.

Pedro BotelhoPedro has been a regular for Cartagena in the Spanish Segunda Division, making 35 starts to date.The midfielder scored on his debut and went on to find the net a further three times as Cartagena secured a place in the top half of the table.“I’ve improved a lot tactically,” he told the Official Arsenal Magazine in March. “I had a tough time here at first because I’m so attack-minded; I struggled when defending, but I’ve improved a lot and I now defend much better. I’m growing and developing all the time.”
Armand TraoreArmand endured a difficult season at Juventus that was hampered by injuries.After making his debut in a 1-1 draw with Roma in November, the left back went on to make seven starts and three substitute appearances.
Samuel GalindoSamuel moved to Spanish Segunda Division side Salamanca on a season-long loan in September and made his debut as a substitute in a 2-0 win at Recreativo Huelva.The Bolivian suffered an ankle injury at the end of last year that saw him miss the majority of the season. He returned in April and made a total of six substitute appearances to date.
WellingtonWellington joined Levante in January but struggled for opportunities and made just two substitute appearances in La Liga.

Benik AfobeBenik initially joined Huddersfield on a one-month loan in November but, following a fruitful start to life in the North-West, that was extended until the end of the season. The pacy frontman went straight into Lee Clark’s side and scored three times in eight appearances as he settled into the rigours of League football. He continued to impress manager Lee Clark with some mature performances as Huddersfield pushed for automatic promotion from League One.FA regulations stopped Benik playing against Arsenal in the FA Cup Fourth Round but he went on to make 36 appearances, scoring eight times, as Huddersfield eventually lost out in the play-offs. “It is very good experience for me at the age of 17 to go on loan. I think I’m going to come back to Arsenal a lot stronger,” said Benik. “The defenders in League One try and intimidate me before the game and even during the game but I don’t take notice of it and just try to play my own game. “It’s made me realise how much three points can mean. In a Reserve game it’s all about the development side but there [in League One] if we win ugly no-one cares as long as we get the three points.” Richard Sutcliffe of the Yorkshire Evening Post: “He’s been superb. He’s come in, at 17 years old, and done really well. Over the season he has developed his control and poise. Even in the Premier League, defenders don’t like pace.“Huddersfield have four strikers which they alternate but he is the only one who gave them out-and-out pace. His influence has grown as the season has gone on. “I think he has grown as a player with his confidence and I think he has become more mature. He looks like he has got real potential and is certainly going to have a very good career in the game. “He has more than played his part in Huddersfield’s good season. They went on a 25-game unbeaten run and there has been a few occasions when goals that he has either created or scored kept Huddersfield in games.”