YOUR COUNTRY

Mr. Martinez

Guest TimeBomb

Quite simply, we created rhythm.

history-and-biography-of-zinedine-zidane2.jpg

The most elegant football player of all-time.

/

I love LDN. Too f*ck*ng death. I don't consider myself outright English/British even though I been here 17 years.

boiii this 1 is kinda borderline... a congolese singer and french algerian footballer.... unless ur congolese/algerian that is...

Quite simply, we created rhythm.

history-and-biography-of-zinedine-zidane2.jpg

The most elegant football player of all-time.

/

I love LDN. Too f*ck*ng death. I don't consider myself outright English/British even though I been here 17 years.

boiii this 1 is kinda borderline... a congolese singer and french algerian footballer.... unless ur congolese/algerian that is...

Brother.

We can do 50/50 on Zidane. Because he sure as hell didn't learn how to play football in Algeria.

LOL

Guest WAVESURFER

Innit.

Zidane was born & bred in France.

/

f*ck it, is Jermain Defoe a West Indian football player?

Not really a valid comparison tbh. The France/Algeria resentment is SO DEEP, they f*ckin hate each other.

I'd be willing to bet money that Zidane considers himself an Algerian.

Yet there had been no trace of this at the official press conference earlier in the day. In the face of tough questioning from European football journalists - about his contract, about last night's cup tie against Sevilla and the future of Real Madrid - Zidane, speaking in both French and Spanish, had been controlled, diffident and ironic. But when I asked him where he felt most at home, he was guarded. 'I am first of all from La Castellane and Marseille,' he began, hesitantly. 'I love Madrid. I am happy to be here. I have been here three years and hope to be here longer. But I am proud of where I come from and never forget the people I grew up with. Wherever I go, La Castellane is where I want to go back to. It is still my home... It is true that it is still a difficult area, what is called in French a quartier difficile . But I think there is also a special culture there. I think Marseille is probably a place like Liverpool, very vibrant and very tough. I know players such as Bruno Cheyrou and Anthony Le Tallec, who should do well in Liverpool for this reason. My passion for the game comes from the city of Marseille itself. Unfortunately I can't go back there as much I want to because I play a lot here and abroad. But I am still a supporter of Olympique de Marseille. I used to go to see them play even when I was a player for AS Cannes.'

/thread.

He is a Frenchman of Algerian descent.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/apr/04/sport.features

Guest WAVESURFER
Every day I think about where I come from and I am still proud to be who I am: first, a Kabyle from La Castellane, then an Algerian from Marseille, and then a Frenchman.'

Kabyle = Algerian ethnic group.

La Castellane = Marseille's Algerian ghetto

He's an Algerian, French is a distant third, and that's from the man himself.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/apr/04/sport.features

/thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Guest WAVESURFER

Forget about the football side of it, from a political and cultural viewpoint, the guy is a Kabyle Algerian. He even says so himself.

No offence, but I'm gonna choose to agree with him, and not Mike Kane.

[/discussion]

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest TimeBomb

That's some madness mate

cos if there ever was some sort of Colombian bredda that played for another country internationally, he's no longer Colombian

you can't claim the dude

I'm sorry, but he banged in pure goals for France

and that's the bottom line

but if u apply that to this thread then most of us would we posting stuff about britain.

zidane is french algerian, im british algerian, fact still remains we algerian.