The official Man city transfer thread

Admin.

Guest M12 Part 2

I'm really learning a lot about some mans history in this thread. Someone said Gallas came after, lol.

Chelsea was a team challenging before Roman's money, they effectively had over spent to challenge and he saved them from a mass sale.

wouldnt go that far mate, Chelsea were top 6 before abrahmovic. There was never a serious threat they would get near winning the league before Mourinho, money bags, Makelele, Mutu and co came in

I'm really learning a lot about some mans history in this thread. Someone said Gallas came after, lol.

Chelsea was a team challenging before Roman's money, they effectively had over spent to challenge and he saved them from a mass sale.

wouldnt go that far mate, Chelsea were top 6 before abrahmovic. There was never a serious threat they would get near winning the league before Mourinho, money bags, Makelele, Mutu and co came in

Chelsea were in the Champions League when Abramovic bought them. He'd have bought Spurs instead if Chelsea hadn't have qualified. Reportedly, anyway.

They were in sh*t loads of debt but the team were in the right place at the right time for Abramovic. They had a much better starting point than Citeh.

Guest M12 Part 2

Chelsea were in the Champions League when Abramovic bought them. He'd have bought Spurs instead if Chelsea hadn't have qualified. Reportedly, anyway.

Because they scraped 4th.

Its like saying Tottenham or Villa are equipped to win the Premiership now.

They both arent but if someone turned up with an infinite amount of money im sure harry redknapp and MON could have a decent go at it

True, I think it's impossible to compare though. John Gregory had us top into January of '99 though, that could never happen now. The top 2 are so far ahead of the rest in comparison to even 7 years ago IMO. Us, Leeds, Newcastle, Chelsea were all up there and battling with ordinary teams in comparison to what the likes of us, Spurs, Citeh and Everton have now, IMO.

True, I think it's impossible to compare though. John Gregory had us top into January of '99 though, that could never happen now. The top 2 are so far ahead of the rest in comparison to even 7 years ago IMO. Us, Leeds, Newcastle, Chelsea were all up there and battling.

IMO, to mount a credible title bid, you've got to keep challenging up until around the March-April period.

Between 1998 - 2003, Leeds, Villa, Newcastle & Chelsea would all fall off the pace before that.

Liverpool in 2002 kept it going to around April IIRC.

Nah I'm not saying we were challenging for the title, certainly not us anyway. But I just mean teams like us who were nothing special were capable of getting up there for prolonged periods.

Now after 10 games the top 3 almost always has a familiar shape, back then after 25 games in certain seasons you'd still have no idea who was gonna finish where

Guest M12 Part 2

City wont win the league until they get some stability. Mancini will get sacked soon and then the next manager will sell all the players hes bought.

ALL successful teams either have a spine of homegrown/players brought through the academy or at least a nucleus of players all from the same country.

City just have a random bag of players who are all of similar ability and have no loyalty to each other or the club. There is no togetherness/team spirit at the club.

The easiest way to buy one woulda been to build the team around guys like Richards,Ireland, Johnson, SWP, Onuoha etc who are all of decent quality and have the togetherness and values from coming up through the academy and then throw in a couple superstars around them.

Or shoulda just copped a load of players from the same country the same way Wenger has done with French at Arsenal.

Add to City's problem that half their players dont speak/make little effort to learn english and its all gonna come tumbling down soon.

Guest M12 Part 2

true.

i still remember how chelsea fans were cussing drogba out during his 1st season booing him and coming with the usual racist "big black clumsy x"talk

now look at them

credit to mourinho for believeing in him and signing him when he could have easily bought a torres or a ronaldinho and credit to drogba for having the mental strength to get through it.

Chelsea have come a long way, I remember when they were an average team full of midgets (Stein, Peacock, Newton), but the transition from decent European team to European heavyweight was solely down to money.

Man City are in the period Chelsea were at with Ranieri but I'm certain they'll challenge pretty soon.

They were in sh*t loads of debt but the team were in the right place at the right time for Abramovic. They had a much better starting point than Citeh.

Same way he'd have bought Arsenal if they wasn't moving to The Emirates...

Chelsea have come a long way, I remember when they were an average team full of midgets (Stein, Peacock, Newton), but the transition from decent European team to European heavyweight was solely down to money.

Man City are in the period Chelsea were at with Ranieri but I'm certain they'll challenge pretty soon.

Disagree, Chelsea were winning things and getting to finals (three FA Cup finals and a Cup Winners Cup) - and although their crippling debt would have potentially had them 'do a Leeds' they were still one of the heavyweights of the division. Citeh have done nothing in comparison, they've not even contested a big occasion yet.

Citeh aren't even signing winners. Toure and Tevez aside their starting team have barely any honours between them.

Because they scraped 4th.

Its like saying Tottenham or Villa are equipped to win the Premiership now.

They both arent but if someone turned up with an infinite amount of money im sure harry redknapp and MON could have a decent go at it

Who said anything about winning the title, I said they was better equipped before Roman's money then City was. Dare I say theb City are even now.

TBH, the 'Mourinho' factor alone is reason enough not to compare City & Chelsea's rise to success.

Overrated/Overstated imo

He inherited a team and managed to motivate a desire to stifle other teams.

Citeh have top pros all they need now is a strong backline they can mount a serious challenge this sason without doubt

I heard Drogba was living in a hotel away from his whole family in his 1st season, so simple but its usually the main reason why many foreign players struggle in there 1st season here.

Guest M12 Part 2

thats another thing ive touched on before. None of their players have a winning mentality. they arent used to winning sh*t and the players they are bringing in arent coming in to an atmosphere where they expected to win every game like there is at OT & Stamford Bridge.

Honestly the league will be a top 2 affair for the foreseeable future.

City wont win the league until they get some stability. Mancini will get sacked soon and then the next manager will sell all the players hes bought.

ALL successful teams either have a spine of homegrown/players brought through the academy or at least a nucleus of players all from the same country.

City just have a random bag of players who are all of similar ability and have no loyalty to each other or the club. There is no togetherness/team spirit at the club.

The easiest way to buy one woulda been to build the team around guys like Richards,Ireland, Johnson, SWP, Onuoha etc who are all of decent quality and have the togetherness and values from coming up through the academy and then throw in a couple superstars around them.

Or shoulda just copped a load of players from the same country the same way Wenger has done with French at Arsenal.

Add to City's problem that half their players dont speak/make little effort to learn english and its all gonna come tumbling down soon.

/

The denial is alot Citeh are a huge threat

what chelsea players were accustomed to winning things lol Damien Duff, Petr Cech, Lampard, Terry, Gudjohnsen, Arjen Robben, Joe Cole, Drogba (uefa cup LOSER),

Don't forget alot of key players for chelsea were those good premiership level players like Duff and Gudjohnsen they got them alot of points. and the rest were mostly mercs like Robben, Cech etc

*Ranieri got sacked, Mourinho kept 80% of his squad

Guest M12 Part 2

The denial is alot Citeh are a huge threat

what chelsea players were accustomed to winning things lol Damien Duff, Petr Cech, Lampard, Terry, Gudjohnsen, Arjen Robben, Joe Cole, Drogba (uefa cup LOSER),

Don't forget alot of key players for chelsea were those good premiership level players like Duff and Gudjohnsen they got them alot of points. and the rest were mostly mercs like Robben, Cech etc

*Ranieri got sacked, Mourinho kept 80% of his squad

Ricardo Carvalho, Tiago & Ferreira just won the league and Champions League with Porto.

Gallas part of the invincibles IIRC

Kezman & Robben just helped PSV to dutch title before they signed

Makelele Real Madrid SNM

The rest were good homegrown players and a few good players who he brought in like Cech

Thats why the Mourinho factor is great because he helped to instil a winning mentality/confidence into guys like Cech, Mutu, Lampard, Terry etc who were used to getting pumped every week or playing for nearly teams

Chelsea never mounted a serious challenge pre Abramovich.

FHACT

Chelsea mounted a serious challenge in 98/99

They wer winning 2-0 at home 2 Leicester who scored 2 in the last 10 to make it 2-2, Steve Guppy scored a beauty

I think they finished 3rd 4/5 points behind Utd