Guardian - Greatest Ever XI

HangTheDJ

Aaron Lennon & Lionel Messi occupy the same position for the clubs, do they fulfill the same role?

Tim Cahill occupies the same position of playing just off the striker, does that make him a playmaker?

See what I'm getting at?

And don't get pedantic please, I'm not one of those dudes who goes on & on aimlessly.

Adieu.

Guest Portuguese

See Football has changed so the roles have become different that's why I said the role off the striker is the number ten eg the playmaker.

That's why I said you cannot put Gerrard in the same level as Michael Laudrup.

Hence, again, why are we comparing Gerrard & Laudrup?

Question was aimed moreso to Afghoon.

/

For the record, Messi has always been a 'forward', but has just added more dimensions to his game over time. But in terms of position, Lennon/Messi occupy the same one: RW.

Got to differentiate role & position.

Unfortunately, a lot of people who see the game in more simple terms, combine the two.

in the same way that heskey is a CF but not a striker

/

Evra's a better LB than cashley

/

who are people sayin at DM? I'm stuck between Emerson and Makalele, possibly Edgar Davids?

edit - Gattuso and Deschamps

• Downvote 2

Guest Portuguese

Redondo is a deep line playmaker so I don't think you can compare him to the likes of Makelele.

See where does Rijkaard come into this debate? Because he was better than Deschamps/Gattuso but then again he was box to box but classed as a DM

Guest Portuguese

Matthaus as well what was he holding or box to box?(I know he got pushed back as he got to the end of his career but I am asking at his best)

As for number 10's better than Kaka how far are we going back?

See where does Rijkaard come into this debate?

Rijkaard was light years ahead of his time man, kinda like a revolutionary figure of how the next generation ballers would be.

Faster, stronger, more technnique, more aggressive - just better athletes.

The first DMC i saw that would actually get all in your mouth like toothpaste mixed with good vision.

Without rijkaard you may not have seen the likes of redondo, vieira or the yayas.

Guest Portuguese

See where does Rijkaard come into this debate?

Rijkaard was light years ahead of his time man, kinda like a revolutionary figure of how the next generation ballers would be.

Faster, stronger, more technnique, more aggressive - just better athletes.

The first DMC i saw that would actually get all in your mouth like toothpaste mixed with good vision.

Without rijkaard you may not have seen the likes of redondo, vieira or the yayas.

WOW sick post