Lionel Messi Is Not Good Enough For Stoke City & Barcelona Would Struggle In EPL

The Infamous

Yea course they always rely on others, but at the end of the season, Rooney was burned out and injured, because he had been overplayed

sh*t, look at that stuff he came out with about the sinking ship

But is that more testament to how good Rooney is, or how 'bad' United were.

Disclaimer: Not saying United were sh*t whatsoever, just illustrating how reliant they were. If you get what I mean.

No, because the original point was, could Messi play in a team as bad as Liverpool's current one. Put it this way, you think Rooney is banging in that many goals in that current Liverpool side? Same goes for Henry of 05/06?

Last season's United & the Arsenal team 2005/2006 from an attacking perspective alone, weren't as bad.

My point is, we're talking about league title runners up & CL finalists here. I agree they were the talisman, but in no way were they one-man teams to the extent you're making it out to be.

Also

Torres / Gerrard

Gerrard for many years by himself, and now Torres.

How can people say this in one thread then in another thread say our team broke down when we sold Alonso?

Also I think it was the 07/08 season we had more players than any team in the league that scored over 10 goals (think it was 7 or 8).

Guest Rorschach

No, because the original point was, could Messi play in a team as bad as Liverpool's current one.

Last season's United & the Arsenal team 2005/2006 from an attacking perspective alone, weren't as bad.

My point is, we're talking about league title runners up & CL finalists here. I agree they were the talisman, but in no way were they one-man teams to the extent you're making it out to be.

I'm not saying it was to a great extent, we had a good team. We just had no attacking edge without him as we were overly dependent on him.

Guest Rorschach

Cuz Alonso was only with you for 4 seasons (one/two of which he was used improperly) were as Stevie 'wins matches by himse'f Gerrard has been with you a decade n a half ..

Let me reiterate

Liverpool for a long time have been overly reliant on Gerrard

Arsenal for a season or two were with Henry

last season we were with Rooney

how can anyone disagree :/

Cuz Alonso was only with you for 4 seasons (one/two of which he was used improperly) were as Stevie 'wins matches by himse'f Gerrard has been with you a decade n a half ..

Let me reiterate

Liverpool for a long time have been overly reliant on Gerrard

Arsenal for a season or two were with Henry

last season we were with Rooney

how can anyone disagree :/

Point is you can't have it both ways.

Hold on how long are you trying to say that Gerrard has been carrying us?

Gerrard is a big player for us but when we were at our best he wasn't the sole reason for it, the loss of Alonso highlighted how overplayed that myth was.

Guest Rorschach

No, you being at your best was due to having Alonso, Mascherno, Benayoun, and Torres..

Before that, Gerrard was carrying you, and after that, he is (along with Torres who likes to make a show of sulking around looking sorry for himself that he's having to play with Konchesky and Kuyt)

For people to say Gerrard was carrying us I can understand to an extent but at any point prior to the Benitez years? No chance, he wasn't even playing in an advanced role at that point.

Us being at our best was due to having Alonso, Mascherano, Benayoun, Torres, Gerrard, Riera...stop this I'm getting emotional just typing out the names.

*leaves*

• 5 months later...
Guest Portuguese

:rolleyes::clueless:

Wayne Rooney has revealed he is still reeling from the Champions League final defeat to Barcelona, but has claimed it would be difficult for Lionel Messi to have the same devastating impact if he played in the Premier League.

Rooney joined talkSPORT pundits Richard Keys and Andy Gray while his England team-mates trained ahead of the Euro 2012 qualifier with Switzerland - a game the Manchester United forward will miss through suspension.

He agreed with Sir Alex Ferguson that Pep Guardiola's side is the best he's ever encountered, but believes Messi would need the support of the Barcelona midfield to prosper in England.

Radio rental: Rooney joins Gray and Keys in the talkSPORT studio

Asked if Messi could dictate games in the England as he does in Spain, (Rooney said: 'If you bring Xavi and Iniesta with him, yes. But it would be difficult, almost impossible for him to play as he does in Spain.

'The game is more physical here, going to the likes of Birmingham and Stoke away is very demanding. Cristiano Ronaldo is more suited to the English game than Messi. Cristiano is taller and good in the air.')

On defeat in the showpiece Wembley final Rooney said: 'It hurt. I watched the game again because you can always learn by watching football. It was very disappointing but you have to put your hands up and say they were the better team.

'They are the best team I’ve seen and Lionel Messi the best player. I think he got three nutmegs in the first-half. On my PlayStation I can make him do what I want but he’s even better in real life. The speed he moves his legs, in fact his whole body, is amazing.

Guest Klitschko

A measure of how a player plays against the top teams (none of which are physical, barring Chelsea, who Barcelona have traditionally had a very difficult time with) isn't a measure of how they would cope with the entire league.

If it wasn't for Andy Gray's background (consistantly bigging up everything physical and English), people would have taken what he said for what it was, a valid, if a little naive, question.

Guest Awesome Kong

A measure of how a player plays against the top teams (none of which are physical, barring Chelsea, who Barcelona have traditionally had a very difficult time with)

If it wasn't for Andy Gray's background (consistantly bigging up everything physical and English), people would have taken what he said for what it was, a valid, if a little naive, question.

He was making probably the two best CBs in the uk look like rookies though, that's saying something.

• Downvote 4