IF YOUR MUSIC BIZ GAME IT TIGHT!

Goddaz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm....i'll have to look into this a bit more. Sounds good tho. If u wanna get clued up about music biz law there's a wicked book i bought written by a lawyer that tells u some of the pitfalls. Music biz is full of snakes!!!One guy that came 2 talk 2 us @ college got paid to produce a remix for some artist. Ended up doing 2 remixes instead, and gave them both. The artist's manager then refused to pay this guy because he breached the contract by doing 2 remixes instead of one!!!!!

Goddaz, are the lawyers you have just music lawyers or do they cover the broader scope of 'entertainment'im not joined with the MU but i am a member of the MMF
The one I deal with on a day to day basis just deals purely with music law but his partners deal with 'the broader scope of entertainment'.Who's the mmf?

how much do ur lawyers cost?i was feelin to hit a few couple months back but was not lookin forward to the fees
Well, I asked him to draft me a production company contract a few months ago & they charged me £1500 + vat. This contract was fat & covered all aspects that I never even knew existed. He then went through it with me, gave me real examples, gave me different ways I can amend the contract to suit whatever artist/producer I wanted to sign.To make good money in any industry. You're gonna have become acustomed to paying experts good p coz its real out there.

You said you have a back log of PMs so its gonna have to be posted in the main room, but MSNM?
What's gonna have to be posted in the main room? and msnm is that msn messenger?I no understand.By the way, I've redone your crack beatI've got the little ones all weekend & haven't manange to up it & send it to you

Well, I asked him to draft me a production company contract a few months ago & they charged me £1500 + vat. This contract was fat & covered all aspects that I never even knew existed. He then went through it with me, gave me real examples, gave me different ways I can amend the contract to suit whatever artist/producer I wanted to sign.To make good money in any industry. You're gonna have become acustomed to paying experts good p coz its real out there.
jeeez

The one I deal with on a day to day basis just deals purely with music law but his partners deal with 'the broader scope of entertainment'.Who's the mmf?
Music Managers Forum, look into it, it could benefit you.for me, takin this route is goin to benefit me more, with what i plan to do

dnt expect to buy holidays with the royalities unless ur tunes are on high rotation
more or less.and depending on the station, royalties are calculated from a sample month. So for example if your tune got played on Choice FM in january,february,March,April and June but they decide to use July as a sample month, your plays wont be calculated.read read read up about it to find out how to work the system.

You done know, bare heads gonna upload their mixtapes with bate samples calling it their own tracks & BLAM.''Dear MC NOTCLUEDUP,I am obliged to inform you that you have been exploiting ourrecording as you have displayed in your video without our permission. You have infringed our rights.'
LMBAOThat statement had me in tears

boy i dnt know who pays you lot your royalties but i get what i consider to be alot of money per play and i aint even been on anything else other than 1 xtra...dnt ever get it twisted...your royalty money is the main source of your income if you are a mainstream artists and that is why the labels hold that sh*t till u recoup...even worse with videos so u artists that r goin on base etc make sure u got ure contracts straight with whoever ure shooting ure ish withK-dot.1

Ive been trying to find out this info. I cant seem to find out how much royalties are paid per play. Ive heard alsorts of sh*t.I had a track on rotation on 1xtra C list worked its way up2 the daytime A playlist. Its also been played here and there on other stations. And isit any kind of air play? Cos the tunes been used as a bed for a presenter.Thanks in advance for any info that might help me.