YOUR COUNTRY

Mr. Martinez

TimeBomb, you honestly think that, posting up Zidane as a French treasure, considering as a FOOTBALL player, he was born & bred in France, is a reach? Especially when you consider he won the World Cup & European Championship in a blue shirt?

A Frenchman can't claim him in that sense?

I'm not sure how it works

but surely the dude had the choice of who to play for

And I know some would say there's no point in playing for Algeria

but like I said before

if some badman footballer who was shipped to some random country for better life purposes

was sick and eligible, decided to NOT play for Colombia

he's no longer Colombian.

I'm not sure how it works

but surely the dude had the choice of who to play for

And I know some would say there's no point in playing for Algeria

but like I said before

if some badman footballer who was shipped to some random country for better life purposes

was sick and eligible, decided to NOT play for Colombia

he's no longer Colombian.

Bruv, I hear that but I ain't even going at that angle.

Guy considers himself Algerian. FAIR ENOUGH.

But know this.

He learned to play football, in France.

He made his name internationally, in a French shirt.

He won the World Cup & European Championship in a French shirt.

He was our captain, talisman & greatest player of all time.

Raised on French streets.

Therefore, we can stake a claim.

Guest TimeBomb

TimeBomb, you honestly think that, posting up Zidane as a French treasure, considering as a FOOTBALL player, he was born & bred in France, is a reach? Especially when you consider he won the World Cup & European Championship in a blue shirt?

well hes a french national, so is my daughter, she has a french passport and has to go kensington for any related issues, she can play for france in sport but ill only ever see her as algerian.

Yea zidane played for france, like nasri and benzema, but everyone knows they are algerian.

Anyway in relation to this thread, i guess its asking post something relating to our parents country not where we are born, cos most of us would be posting stuff about britain. Your parents are congolese, mine are algerian and so are zidanes.

Guest WAVESURFER

France asked him to play for them before Algeria asked, it's that simple.

Once he put that France shirt on for the first time, he couldn't switch.

If Algeria had been quicker to ask him, he'd have played for them, and this conversation wouldn't be happening.

well hes a french national, so is my daughter, she has a french passport and has to go kensington for any related issues, she can play for france in sport but ill only ever see her as algerian.

Yea zidane played for france, like nasri and benzema, but everyone knows they are algerian.

Anyway in relation to this thread, i guess its asking post something relating to our parents country not where we are born, cos most of us would be posting stuff about britain. Your parents are congolese, mine are algerian and so are zidanes.

It ain't even black & white like that, because in different households, there's a varying influence of original cultures.

In my house, my parents allowed us to get with the culture of the French/British. My mum doesn't mind that my brothers consider themselves moreso English than Congolese because her & my step-dad didn't put that sort of pressure to adhere to Congolese roots. It's their choice.

/

Wavesurfer is right. Once you make your full debut for whatever country, you can't play for another. Rules. He very well could have played for Algeria, but the Algerian coach didn't want him in the team because he wasn't 'fast enough'. PMSL

However, it doesn't change sh*t about what he did as a football player IN & FOR France. Allow all the shoulda, coulda, woulda talks...

Bottom line.

Guest WAVESURFER

what do u mean he couldnt switch?

nd u dont know what he would have done allow assuming

Once you've played for an international team, you can't change yr mind and go play for another one.

And I'm not assuming, he said it in some interview, I will look for the quote.

I swear down where I come from patriotism is not a joke.

It's something we all believe in and hold very dear to our hearts.

None of them guys there that play for France give a sh*t about Algeria

be serious.

I've asked people to post stuff about their own country

I think it's a personal choice and everyone should know what their country is

just like Zidane, Benzema, etc know that their country is France.

Guest TimeBomb

I swear down where I come from patriotism is not a joke.

It's something we all believe in and hold very dear to our hearts.

None of them guys there that play for France give a sh*t about Algeria

be serious.

I've asked people to post stuff about their own country

I think it's a personal choice and everyone should know what their country is

just like Zidane, Benzema, etc know that their country is France.

zidane is very prominent in the kabylie region, hes built quite a few schools there actually, theres even a rumour hes gona coach algeria after the world cup.

It ain't even black & white like that, because in different households, there's a varying influence of original cultures.

In my house, my parents allowed us to get with the culture of the French/British. My mum doesn't mind that my brothers consider themselves moreso English than Congolese because her & my step-dad didn't put that sort of pressure to adhere to Congolese roots. It's their choice.

/

Wavesurfer is right. Once you make your full debut for whatever country, you can't play for another. Rules. He very well could have played for Algeria, but the Algerian coach didn't want him in the team because he wasn't 'fast enough'. PMSL

However, it doesn't change sh*t about what he did as a football player IN & FOR France. Allow all the shoulda, coulda, woulda talks...

Bottom line.

LMFAO

I will eat my hat and apologise if Zidane was actually looking to play for Algeria and their coach said na we don't want you

I'm not sure how that would affect someone

I would like to think that they still would be like well I can't play for another country cos it just doesn't feel right

but boy if Colombia disowned me like that, that sh*t would hurt, so I don't know

Considering France's World Cup shocking campaign & Algerian's being an up & coming underdog playing in a World Cup hosted in Africa, who do you think he's gonna be an ambassador for?

Why are you so defensive fam? I never said Algerians can't claim him. I just said, Zidane is football legend. He made himself a legend in a France top. He learned how to play, in France. Therefore, French people have an equal right to claim him.

Know what, I'm sure you go France often. I DARE you to go up to a French person who loves football & tell them they have no right to claim & see what happens to you.

f*ck this, I'm sweating now. OFF RADAR

• Downvote 5

Ultimately it boils down to genetics imo, where your parents are from not what passport you hold/country you play for/country you live etc. All those things are on the outside and can be be easily altered over time. However, I will still acknowledge them as part of the person not the person.

Right or wrong I'll usually take what the person in question considers themselves to be because too many people confuse matters.