Students face unlimited fees

Mr Q

Yeah, in some ways it makes people think a great deal harder about their education, but then those that have thought it out and still can't afford it still lose out. I think this will do greater harm than good. IMO, I think that the whole education system has become far too orientated around money/funding which is why you have so many courses that in the grand scheme of things you don't necessarily need to go to uni to study for.

Guest Triple XXX

posted this in the academic thread

the fees for medical students at the top unis are gonna be a f*ckerie, u can say all u want about slags drinkin themseleves to death n not takin it seriously

but what about the really bright younguns who just come from a disadvantaged background and could REALLY buttf*ck that course, should we just forget about them? are the rich the only ones worthy of higher education?

yea i know loans will go up, but so will debt, ull have kids leavin with like 100k debt

cnt believe i voted for this souless c*nt, proper got excited aswell, wish i could throw an egg at him, hate the way he waves his hands as he talks now aswell, prick

sh*t you got me Justin I sucked off Cameron.

/

Flojo disagree with what you're saying. I'm all for the disability cuts and reassessment. I have a friend who got admitted to Springfield mental hospital for just under a year. He's out now and qualifies for 2 years of backdated disability benefits. There is NOTHING wrong with him. He is totally capable of working, but he's become lazy and unmotivated. I don't want to see people like him being handed money for becoming complacent.

Cutting the quangos down I completely agree with. The amount of excess and waste which goes on in local council and LGA funded schemes is terrible. Starting up new schemes for things which could quite happily be managed under existing departments is waste and excess.

When I weigh up the amount of bureaucracy and wastage under labours government and the cuts being introduced under the coalition, at the present time I favour the coalition government. Partially because alot of their cuts have absolutely no effect on me, and I would suspect 99% of this board either.

Trying to equate my stance on higher education and how lucky we are to have been afforded a 3 grand a year world class education when the equivalent in the United States would cost you 50k per year with my political stance is just stupid. Who do you think planned the University endowment cuts and commissioned the higher education funding report in the first place. It wasn't the coalition government.

People need to do their research and stop blindly hating the conservatives like everything they do is for the "rich people".

Guest Esquilax

Don't care about students.

Too many people think further education is the only way, but for some it's just shirking the inevitable responsibility they'll have to face when they get out of education.

There's other avenues, taxpayers should definitely NOT be paying for people who just want to go for the laughs which, let's be honest, is MOST people

You can have these fantasies about hordes of geniuses from disadvantaged backgrounds being denied entry to the rest of their lives, but really, a lot go for the craic, and discover that when they come out, it doesn't really mean anything anyway

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Too many people think further education is the only way, but for some it's just shirking the inevitable responsibility they'll have to face when they get out of education.

There's other avenues, taxpayers should definitely NOT be paying for people who just want to go for the laughs which, let's be honest, is MOST people

You can have these fantasies about hordes of geniuses from disadvantaged backgrounds being denied entry to the rest of their lives, but really, a lot go for the craic, and discover that when they come out, it doesn't really mean anything anyway

rah strong post

cant really argue with nothing said here

It isn't the only way hence the reason the Labour government encouraged more companies to run apprenticeship schemes as well as placing emphasis on making further and higher education accessible to people of all backgrounds.

Labour basically gave people the opportunity to pursue the career of their choice by trying to remove the financial obstacles that were in place, this wasn't a way of pissing away the tax payers money because the end goal was obviously a more skilled work force which benefits everyone.

/

you sound bitter from personal experience tbh

Guest Esquilax

It isn't the only way hence the reason the Labour government encouraged more companies to run apprenticeship schemes as well as placing emphasis on making further and higher education accessible to people of all backgrounds.

Labour basically gave people the opportunity to pursue the career of their choice by trying to remove the financial obstacles that were in place, this wasn't a way of pissing away the tax payers money because the end goal was obviously a more skilled work force which benefits everyone

/

you sound bitter from personal experience tbh

:/

Dunno how I can be bitter from an experience I didn't have

I'm angry at the ignorance if anything

I'm not even angry, like I said, I don't care about students.

• Downvote 2

Guest Awesome Kong

There are other ways to make a career for yourself, but if the career path you want to go in requires you to have further education then you are f*cked. Plus now you have to pay for half of your placement year too, which is a pisstake. Imagine you want to be a Doctor, but your not inherently rich, but are really smart but Oxford are saying 20K a year, for 5/6 years, you telling me that is fair? (No David Cameron with thee examples)

I didn't say you sound bitter from the experience of going, you sound bitter from friends/family going on about the importance of going to uni or being disappointed in you cos you didn't go?

Just a hunch but I've clocked you get a bit tetchy whenever people talk about the importance of uni to them.

• Upvote 1

Guest Esquilax

I didn't say you sound bitter from the experience of going, you sound bitter from friends/family going on about the importance of going to uni or being disappointed in you cos you didn't go?

Just a hunch but I've clocked you get a bit tetchy whenever people talk about the importance of uni to them.

Not bitter, I get annoyed sometimes when people try and convince me to go because THEY had a great time, because it was the best thing for THEM.

95% of people I've spoken to have told me they had a blast, but ultimately it was pointless

I'm not about that at all, and I'm especially not about that being funded by the people

Which is fair enough I reckon

15k per term?

LOL

Is he an international student per chance?

/

Esq if 95% of people you know said University for them was ultimately pointless I can't help but think they all got thirds, or all did media studies with the hope of going into investment banking.

No. From South West London.

some of the arguments here are scary. but reflect the culture of this country i guess.

to say university isnt for everybody based on finance is just terrible. some i never achieved it so no one else should mentality, or a noble high horse attitude.

Universities i reckon SHOULD be allowed to charge higher, but there should be many more avenues other than through student loans to pay for your education.

Medical students in the US come out with up to $100,000 in debt. But they can pay this off at a small interest rate (based on income) within 10 yrs, and their avg earning potential is $200,000/pa. so they arent crazily concerned about fees, bcos there's also lots of scholarships available.

The best universities in the US have scholarships for all ranges of students, and there are also tens of thousands of ways American students can pay for their education at any other university, so uni's charging $20,000 a year is NOT the issue people over here should be talking about, which is what i keep hearing NUS people moan about.

the real issue should be that when the govt take something away, there should be other alternatives in place to take the place of that. maybe they will start to encourage endowment funds now, but to claim that moving the graduate salary to 21k/yr will make things easier is just stupid. As is the Avg Graduate salary isnt already 20/21k/ yr.

and i also agree that uni education would be cherished more when you appreciate the cost you pay,

• Upvote 2

but to tell you the truth, if they do increase tuition fees this should deter all the guys that go to uni to do media studies, drama, music, sh*t like that. They would think twice about whether or not they are willing to place themselves in 50k plus debt for such courses.

thats the thing, whats wrong with studying all of that? nothing. but it means that more people should have to fight for fewer places, and for more quality education. as if theres no need for music or drama any longer bcos you or someone else wants to study hexaconigistic science

• Upvote 1

Guest Awesome Kong

LOL everyone dissing peoples subject because they feel it's sh*t. They might get taught a lot more sh*t in uni then they would have in college. If they choose a subject they actually like and want a career in then uni is for them, if they want to know more and enter work in a higher position.

/

Allow doing a course when you want to be in another career afterwards, quite stupid.

Guest Esquilax

Lol I'm not bitter I can assure you... I come from a family where no one went to uni, and all are doing well. Never had the pressure

You're right about me underachieving in school, I just didn't care at all. Just managed to scrape by most subjects

• Downvote 1

Guest Triple XXX

tbh i had 30% attendance in year 10 n worse in year 11 met with the EWO 3 times, once with her supervisor n turned up to half my exams without even a pen n still did more than OK

i can f*ck with the not being bothered with education

but dont hate on the uni heads no matter how wasted some of them are

if i could be bothered id be in uni right now

but as soon as my mood drops i wont turn up to anything

I dunno bout other countries but im aware that ghanaian and nigerians are under immense pressure to go uni - this was one factor as to why i went uni - if i didnt too much noise and shame brought unto the fam.

/

these days amaongst black ppl - uni as seen as just the thing to progress unto - like college.

anyone thats says they aint going uni is looked down upon, these rises in fees will eliminate those u go uni - just because u can.