What Age Did You Know What Job/Career You Wanted To Persue In Life?

Mame Biram Diouf

I decided by the age of 6 that I wanted to work in IT

Kept teling people I was going to be an IT anaylst.

Did a computing degree at uni then realised i hate programming

lost my way, got a 2:2 (don't judge me) and reading comments from individuals in the academics thread basically made me think any effort I had put in was wasted and I should just start afresh.

Then I saw a job advert went for it and after 4 long-ass interviews I got it.

Its opened a lot of doors/avenues and tbh I have no idea where it will lead but at the moment its IT-related and revolves in an industry I'll never get bored of

lol i got a 2:2 aswell. currently doin 1st line tech support and doin a CCNA to hopefully move into networking - junior network admin or something

what sort of job did u get? sounds good. most successful person i know who isnt a programmer does b2b sales for microsoft.

At about age 18 wanted to be a Investment banker, now working in HSBC in Foreign Exchange Prime Brokerage, ideally want to get into precious metals trading but im young so i will see what doors I can try to open.

when you say "precious metals" do you mean you want to specialize in gold/silver/platinum/palladium or do you mean all non-ferrous metals in general i.e. copper/zinc/ally etc?

why not start trading forex yourself and see if you like it? being a trader is a tough graft mate, especially in the big banks.. they'll only give you one shot and if you flop you wont get another chance. the best route is obviously through a smaller fund but as i'm sure you know getting into one of those is nearly impossible without a connection to a partner or substantial experience.

ideally the first group gold/silver/platinum/palladium, was speaking to some traders they insisted a simulated fx account would be the best bet of understanding the trading experience. FX trading is speculative so im just trying to build a strategy or just notice certain patterns that may occur between some of the simplest currency pairs (USD/ GBP GBP/EUR)

Thinking of staying in my current position for a few years gain that market knowledge and try to take that into applying for a Jr trading/ analyst position. The only benefit I see with doing it with HSBC is they pay for my certification if i should be given the chance.

my advice to you is do not limit yourself

have a good knowledge of all of the metals especially copper as it drives all of the other prices

better to aim to be a commodity trader and be able to trade everything

a simulated fx account is good but it wont help you that much with commodities - unless you have a large long term book all trading is speculative unfortunately you cannot gain experience trading commodities without an lme select account which will set you back a cool couple of million at least.

if u have any questions about trading metals feel free to ask me i do it as a full time job.

what happened to your boxing ?

At about age 18 wanted to be a Investment banker, now working in HSBC in Foreign Exchange Prime Brokerage, ideally want to get into precious metals trading but im young so i will see what doors I can try to open.

when you say "precious metals" do you mean you want to specialize in gold/silver/platinum/palladium or do you mean all non-ferrous metals in general i.e. copper/zinc/ally etc?

why not start trading forex yourself and see if you like it? being a trader is a tough graft mate, especially in the big banks.. they'll only give you one shot and if you flop you wont get another chance. the best route is obviously through a smaller fund but as i'm sure you know getting into one of those is nearly impossible without a connection to a partner or substantial experience.

ideally the first group gold/silver/platinum/palladium, was speaking to some traders they insisted a simulated fx account would be the best bet of understanding the trading experience. FX trading is speculative so im just trying to build a strategy or just notice certain patterns that may occur between some of the simplest currency pairs (USD/ GBP GBP/EUR)

Thinking of staying in my current position for a few years gain that market knowledge and try to take that into applying for a Jr trading/ analyst position. The only benefit I see with doing it with HSBC is they pay for my certification if i should be given the chance.

have a good knowledge of all of the metals especially copper as it drives all of the other prices

a simulated fx account is good but it wont help you that much with commodities - unless you have a large long term book all trading is speculative unfortunately you cannot gain experience trading commodities without an lme select account which will set you back a cool couple of million at least.

if u have any questions about trading metals feel free to ask me i do it as a full time job.

long story short i got deported from the usa

i still box though im fighting in march hopefully

Always kind of knew I wanted to work in music/audio but never pursued it due to parents saying to go a different route. Decided at 22 to do it and now work as a sound engineer.

Oooh this

Was talked out of taking Music Tech past A levs

I was bare handy in the studio too

And I tought one african church that mic gain isnt always a great thing

Guest Esquilax

damn all the best mate

was convinced u were on the right path by the background story u had with the old guy training u etc

YOU'RE THE BEST

AROOUND

NOTHIN'S GONNA EVER KEEP YA DOWN

Guest Lemons

One option is to work my way up then become a teacher but i'm not 100% on it.

Don't do it then.

The last thing this country needs is more teachers who don't give a sh*t.

*This probably isn't the last thing this country needs.

• Upvote 4

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

nah u cnt jus leave it at that

i badly wanna know y u got deported now

One option is to work my way up then become a teacher but i'm not 100% on it.

Don't do it then.

The last thing this country needs is more teachers who don't give a sh*t.

*This probably isn't the last thing this country needs.

I give a sh*t

Took me a while to find work and started out volunteering, which I found on the v-volunteering website. After about 3-4months of no pay I got offered paid casual work and just built up from there. Its still not where I want to be at cos the hours are unpredictable and I don't feel like the pay is a fair reflection of what I do but I basically run, record, produce and mix sessions in the studio on my own so I'm learning a lot faster than if I was at a bigger studio as an assistant.

• Upvote 2

That said though I've got an interview this week to go work for Pan Events (International) out in Australia doing PR and communications so that might do me nicely for the mo if I get it.

Had the interview early morning today via skype web chat (cause of the time difference) got offered the job there and then, if I accept it then I start on the 4th of July in Melbourne

Not gonna lie, it still hasn't sunk in. Waiting on the contract to be sent over so I can make sure everythings to what was agreed upon/check the salary is right and I'm sorted

• Upvote 5

Guest Lemons

That said though I've got an interview this week to go work for Pan Events (International) out in Australia doing PR and communications so that might do me nicely for the mo if I get it.

Had the interview early morning today via skype web chat (cause of the time difference) got offered the job there and then, if I accept it then I start on the 4th of July in Melbourne

Not gonna lie, it still hasn't sunk in. Waiting on the contract to be sent over so I can make sure everythings to what was agreed upon/check the salary is right and I'm sorted

That's awesome. They sorting out any Visa stuff? (not sure what the deal is with Oz)

That's awesome. They sorting out any Visa stuff? (not sure what the deal is with Oz)

Yh I asked the fella interviewing me he said they sort that stuff out for me luckily and also pay for flights out there if needed etc etc so it all seems like it should be sorted smoothly