Samsung Must Pay Apple $1bn

Kurtis

See at first I was like this:

But then I was like this:

According to extracts of Mr Isaacson's book, obtained by the Associated Press, Mr Jobs said: "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

He is also quoted as saying: "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion [£25bn] in the bank, to right this wrong."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Judge who accused Apple of 'lack of integrity' joins Samsung's legal team

rumpole-lead-1362060716.jpg

As famous judges go, Sir Robin Jacob doesn't quite rank up there with some others we can think of (like that handsome fella on the left). But he is well known in legal circles, thanks largely to an important judgement he made against Apple last year. Sir Robin was among three British judges who forced Apple to apologize for accusing Samsung of stealing tablet designs, and he was especially heavily quoted in the press after he highlighted a "lack of integrity" in the way Apple had presented its case. Fast forward to now, however, and Sir Robin is in the limelight for a very different reason. He's quit the role of impartial arbiter in order to become an "expert" who is "working on behalf of" Samsung in a separate dispute with the ITC. We're certainly not accusing the guy of any wrongdoing, but it's interesting that the system allows people to switch between roles just like that. Lawyers, eh?

Update: Here's a word on the matter from Samsung:

"Sir Robin Jacob is not a legal representative of Samsung Electronics. A highly reputed intellectual property expert and academic, Sir Robin has been contracted as an expert by a law firm that represents Samsung Electronics in its case against Ericsson."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/28/judge-joins-samsung-legal-team/

"Sir Robin Jacob is not a legal representative of Samsung Electronics. A highly reputed intellectual property expert and academic, Sir Robin has been contracted as an expert by a law firm that represents Samsung Electronics in its case against Ericsson."

The End

• 5 months later...
Obama Administration Vetoes Apple Product Ban

The Obama administration on Saturday issued a veto on a proposed potential ban on a number of Apple products in the U.S., including some iPhones and iPad devices.

“After extensive consultations with the agencies of the Trade Policy Staff Committee and the Trade Policy Review Group … I have decided to disapprove the USITC’s determination to issue an exclusion order and cease and desist order in this investigation,” a letter from the U.S. government to United States International Trade Commission Chairman Irving A. Williamson said.

The president’s veto comes in response to a ruling made by the USITC in June, granting the South Korean electronics giant Samsung’s request for an import ban on older iPhones and iPads, which the ITC found to infringe one of Samsung’s standards-essential patents. The order would have affected only AT&T iPhone models prior to the 4S, as well as the iPad 2 and earlier iPad versions.

http://allthingsd.com/20130803/obama-vetoes-apple-product-ban/

14.jpeg.jpg

Some ol' BS if you ask me.