APPLE TV

Thizz

• 2 weeks later...

use a cheap raspberry pi with raspbmc/openelec for £30. does everything a jailbroken appletv can.

searched on ebay but cant find any at that price, can u kindly point me to a link please? For the whole kit ready to go

thanks

late reply, but

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RASPBERRY-Pi-Model-B-revision-2-0-Board-512MB-RAM-The-Very-Latest-/170939155187?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item27ccc482f3

just get that, and if you havent got an sdcard (or micro sd + adapter), buy a 2-4gb sd card (theyre cheap, like £2-4), and can use a micro usb phone charger to power it.

any usb keyboard works, but if youre gonna use it as a htpc, then get a cheap usb ir reciver/remote (i use a logitech harmony remote with a cheap ir reciever).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-PC-Remote-Control-Controller-USB-IR-Receiver-UK-SELLER-/281119056126?pt=UK_Computing_Remote_Controls_Pointers&hash=item41740060fe

so if youve already got an sd card and phone charger, youre looking at £30.

with an sd card, £34.

with a remote + sd card. £42

etc

dont bother with the kits. theyre usually expensive for what you get.

you dont need to get a premade sd card either. raspbmc is simple to install. openelec is a little trickier, but its more stable imo.

Funny that this topic pops up as I've been looking to get a ATV2 the last couple days but fuck paying upwards of 180-220

Been looking at Raspberry Pi too but I've read stuff that you can't stream live from xbmc because it doesn't have the capacity, you can only pair it with other devices - is this bollocks dave? Can you drop me a link where you picked yours up? (assuming you bought the set, not each bit individually)

The jailbroken version can run xmbc (or someother media centre)