Music Industry

PopT

Guest Diddybob

You also get the feeling that white middle class people the type who would have followed the likes of NWA in the 80's, Wu Tang in the early 90's and the type who support US Hip Hop in numbers just don't believe the story of many of these road rappers, you always get the typical comments like 'This is London, not the Bronx/Brooklyn' etc, i think that has a part to play in it, to many these rappers are just acting for cameras.

I agree with what your saying.

In regards to the 2nd para, England is as capitalist as America. However what makes Jimmy Iovine pick up a Chief Keef or a 50 Cent? Cos he knows that their is a structure in place that will pick those guys, if he doesn't, and he hates to see others make the money he could have made. XL still picked up Giggs, as they are considered a cutting edge indie label, but lets be honest they could afford to stall and evaluate the situation as Giggs was hardly beating labels away. To me thats the difference.

As for the social/government aspect, Chief Keef regardless of the ignorant sh*t he is doing, from the beginning he has been selling records - he's a musican thats attempting to sell units NOT get a deal, thats what so many of these artists overlook.

Go to the hip hop room, and when the Chief Keef topic starts here http://www.vip2.co.uk/forum/topic/76664-chief-keef/ its AFTER https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/back-from-the-dead/id516662996 is available for SALE on GBE...

Ask yourself if you can say the same for your favourite UK road rapper...

JME could have only gone so far, for the reasons you said previous. Like Iggy said you can't bankroll yourself forever when your coming from nothing as while there maybe win's, there will also be losses.

I hear that but people gotta look at Marketing as an investment, it might not pay off right away but in the long run it's gonna put you in a better position.

Instead of copping a 20k car someone would be better off copping an 8k car and putting 12k on adwords or youtube ads to build their European profile.

Possibly put that towards building awareness in America aswell, put that on features, create a bigger show etc...

Driving away that extra 12k is throwing it down the drain.

You gonna look more attractive to a label with that bigger profile aswell, and you'll learn what does and doesn't work by investing in yourself hence learning the business side of music at the same time.

I hear you, but sometimes its about your opinion of worth, say I invested into myself to get this 20k, do I reinvest and lose or do I just live and go do something else as I dont think or believe I'll gain 2nd time round.

True but if music is the ambition we gota start thinking abit more longterm like most successful companies do.

A portion of revenue has to be reinvested in marketing again, Apple can't sustain iPod sales every year without a marketing budget.

Imagine Apple ran their business like most of these artists, their has to be consistency in the strategy to achieve longterm success.

Until you have the machine behind you, you have to invest in yourself, or quit music.

But this half assed shit ain't gonna work.

Guest Diddybob

In regards to the 2nd para, England is as capitalist as America. However what makes Jimmy Iovine pick up a Chief Keef or a 50 Cent? Cos he knows that their is a structure in place that will pick those guys, if he doesn't, and he hates to see others make the money he could have made. XL still picked up Giggs, as they are considered a cutting edge indie label, but lets be honest they could afford to stall and evaluate the situation as Giggs was hardly beating labels away. To me thats the difference.

As for the social/government aspect, Chief Keef regardless of the ignorant sh*t he is doing, from the beginning he has been selling records - he's a musican thats attempting to sell units NOT get a deal, thats what so many of these artists overlook.

Go to the hip hop room, and when the Chief Keef topic starts here http://www.vip2.co.uk/forum/topic/76664-chief-keef/ its AFTER https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/back-from-the-dead/id516662996 is available for SALE on GBE...

Erm actually i can tbh, Blade Brown etc has had his mixtapes on sale.

Not that anyone is buying it, same thing with Chief Keefs first mixtapes, its not till he got a following with 'I Don't Like' that people would have been buying his music and even then hes sales for his album he dropped was hardly something to applaud.

These US rappers can get signed purely of youtube/hood buzz, thats the difference, someone like Lil Durk is already signed to Def Jam.

Guest Diddybob

what happened to Lil Reese though? lol

swear i aint heard from him since he gave that chick a mean beatdown

Signed to Def Jam as well, that beating didn't really do nothing to his career in retrospect.

Guest Diddybob

yeah he got signed same time as Durk, but he did a few tracks and vids, beat the chick down and i aint heard nothing since

He released the remix with Drake and Rick Ross after that incident.

Road rappers will not become mainstream in this country, why?

• Not good enough musically
  • Lack the creativity
  • Not Marketable
  • Perception

These things should not deter them from making music, with the amount times they speak about hustling one would think they could put their entrepreneurial mind set into building something that could contribute to the industry.

/

The rappers are getting lazy, they just want to jump on the next freestyle or drake beat ect. They need to create their own sound through producing and having a clear vision for their music. Very few artist in the uk are doing that, this is why grime had so much potential, because the people involved took pride from making their music.

• Upvote 2

JME could have only gone so far, for the reasons you said previous. Like Iggy said you can't bankroll yourself forever when your coming from nothing as while there maybe win's, there will also be losses.

I hear that but people gotta look at Marketing as an investment, it might not pay off right away but in the long run it's gonna put you in a better position.

Instead of copping a 20k car someone would be better off copping an 8k car and putting 12k on adwords or youtube ads to build their European profile.

Possibly put that towards building awareness in America aswell, put that on features, create a bigger show etc...

Driving away that extra 12k is throwing it down the drain.

You gonna look more attractive to a label with that bigger profile aswell, and you'll learn what does and doesn't work by investing in yourself hence learning the business side of music at the same time.

I hear you, but sometimes its about your opinion of worth, say I invested into myself to get this 20k, do I reinvest and lose or do I just live and go do something else as I dont think or believe I'll gain 2nd time round.

True but if music is the ambition we gota start thinking abit more longterm like most successful companies do.

A portion of revenue has to be reinvested in marketing again, Apple can't sustain iPod sales every year without a marketing budget.

Imagine Apple ran their business like most of these artists, their has to be consistency in the strategy to achieve longterm success.

Until you have the machine behind you, you have to invest in yourself, or quit music.

But this half assed sh*t ain't gonna work.

I knw but I'm pretty sure JME ambition wasn't music, thats the point I'm making.

Erm actually i can tbh, Blade Brown etc has had his mixtapes on sale.

Not that anyone is buying it, same thing with Chief Keefs first mixtapes, its not till he got a following with 'I Don't Like' that people would have been buying his music and even then hes sales for his album he dropped was hardly something to applaud.

These US rappers can get signed purely of youtube/hood buzz, thats the difference, someone like Lil Durk is already signed to Def Jam.

Blade didnt have his mixtapes on sale when his name started ringing... He got his business inline as he progressed.

Durk had radio spins.

Yeah I think one success story for one of the majors could open the flood gates but I thought by now we'd have seen someone willing to take a chance with a 'street artist' by now.

I defo agree too many UK artists see getting signed as the goal rather than a platform that allows them to shift more units, the business strategy for a lot of artists is lacking.

To be honest I'm not a fan of many road rappers so for the vast majority of them I think it's just that they're pretty shit, I honestly feel that the talent pool in Grime was 10 times the size of the talent pool in Road Rap and it was a sound that originated in the UK which was key.

For me too many man were quick to abandon the UK sound as well yet you've got Azealia Banks doing mixtapes with a bag of UK beats and getting acclaim, but that's an entirely different conversation on it's own.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I think one success story for one of the majors could open the flood gates but I thought by now we'd have seen someone willing to take a chance with a 'street artist' by now.

I defo agree too many UK artists see getting signed as the goal rather than a platform that allows them to shift more units, the business strategy for a lot of artists is lacking.

To be honest I'm not a fan of many road rappers so for the vast majority of them I think it's just that they're pretty sh*t, I honestly feel that the talent pool in Grime was 10 times the size of the talent pool in Road Rap and it was a sound that originated in the UK which was key.

For me too many man were quick to abandon the UK sound as well yet you've got Azealia Banks doing mixtapes with a bag of UK beats and getting acclaim, but that's an entirely different conversation on it's own.

?

/

i like cas but personally dnt rate his music. i understand why ppl do tho

?