Music Industry

PopT

I agree with what your saying.

In regards to the 2nd para, England is as capitalist as America. However what makes Jimmy Iovine pick up a Chief Keef or a 50 Cent? Cos he knows that their is a structure in place that will pick those guys, if he doesn't, and he hates to see others make the money he could have made. XL still picked up Giggs, as they are considered a cutting edge indie label, but lets be honest they could afford to stall and evaluate the situation as Giggs was hardly beating labels away. To me thats the difference.

As for the social/government aspect, Chief Keef regardless of the ignorant sh*t he is doing, from the beginning he has been selling records - he's a musican thats attempting to sell units NOT get a deal, thats what so many of these artists overlook.

Go to the hip hop room, and when the Chief Keef topic starts here http://www.vip2.co.uk/forum/topic/76664-chief-keef/ its AFTER https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/back-from-the-dead/id516662996 is available for SALE on GBE...

Ask yourself if you can say the same for your favourite UK road rapper...

Erm actually i can tbh, Blade Brown etc has had his mixtapes on sale.

Not that anyone is buying it, same thing with Chief Keefs first mixtapes, its not till he got a following with 'I Don't Like' that people would have been buying his music and even then hes sales for his album he dropped was hardly something to applaud.

These US rappers can get signed purely of youtube/hood buzz, thats the difference, someone like Lil Durk is already signed to Def Jam.

Blade didnt have his mixtapes on sale when his name started ringing... He got his business inline as he progressed.

Durk had radio spins.

lol wut?

Blade first thing he put out for sale was Financial Times in 2011...and a part of me wonders if that because he saw what Giggs was doing...

Tbh the talent in the UK is low as f*ck tho.

I mean lets be serious here.

Been like a handful of Uk rappers that are actually REALLY talented, if that....

Real talk

/

Although the markets are totally different i feel rappers over here should look at how mac miller is right now.

He has the dream set up right now, indie artist with a powerful fanbase  he's making authentic music that is being commercially recognised in addition to being a millionaire.

• Upvote 1

Guest Chelsea Jack

Working in A&R especially in the UK is f*cking stressful at the moment, its hard enough to know what to sign/develop, but labels are losing cash and arent willing to give talent/developers many chances, so you find a lot of people having to play it safe, ie artists making the same kind of on trend tunes, and a lot of the same kind of people being signed. This obviously stifles creativity in the UK music industry, but there also a big problem of when something different works, people either just write it off as an anomaly, or everyone jumps on it and kills it.

Need to just encourage talented artists to make good credible music, f*ck a chart position, or breaking the US.

strong pos

That's another thing, as Dub said too much music is given away.

Give away the single and work it like the industry does 4-6 weeks, that way you get more longevity out of the whole project aswell.

Niggaz is giving away 12 songs in one go, then their buzz goes and they gotta get back in the studio.

Give away the single and work it like the industry does 4-6 weeks, that way you get more longevity out of the whole project aswell.

Niggaz is giving away 12 songs in one go, then their buzz goes and they gotta get back in the studio.

Scared it won't get heard, as they scared to work to get it heard for a fee. Plus brainwashing of following your favourite US artist marketing ploy, yet overlooking that at least one part of the year that same artist is selling a release.

I really don't see what others see in Koke.

Thought Sneakbo had potential, dunno what's happened to him.

Still have hope that Kano will one day drop that ridiculous voice he puts on and find his way back to making decent music.

I have no hope in Dizzee.

Skepta's mixtape was pretty good but his next album will be another commercial attempt that will have me shrugging my shoulders.

JME's said he's only putting out singles for now, which tbh makes sense, keep your name buzzing more that way, if all his bookings are raves/club nights.

What's the deal with Chipmunk?

Whatever happened to Scorcher?

This the other thing. These Uk artist arnt even serious like that.

You got guys like Drake who have made MILLIONS, yet every night he in the studio till 5, 6, 7 in the morning making them tunes, everynight.

Then you got a guy like Wretch with talent, who would rather jam in mayfair with white tings instead of in the studio where he should be.

• Upvote 1

Thats another issue as well not only over here but in the states, good music being devalued because of it being free in a mixtape

So when an artist releases an indie album do they sell it for free, cheap or the standard price? 

devaluation or depreciation is why the album format is not working no more man.

so many dreams of uk urban artists having gold and silver album plaques in the hall ways of their crib is gonna be a rare thing.

if ima be honest tinie tempah  & dizzee rascal f*cked up every1s money coz their brand and style is too powerful in the mainstream they aint sharing nor feeding their niggaz like star said in the vlad tv interview loool. if ur not pro green wretch 32 tinie tempah dizzee or wiley u gotta put in sum super overtime to get them bpi plaques or ghostwrite for a white artist looool 

I really don't see what others see in Koke.

Thought Sneakbo had potential, dunno what's happened to him.

Still have hope that Kano will one day drop that ridiculous voice he puts on and find his way back to making decent music.

I have no hope in Dizzee.

Skepta's mixtape was pretty good but his next album will be another commercial attempt that will have me shrugging my shoulders.

JME's said he's only putting out singles for now, which tbh makes sense, keep your name buzzing more that way, if all his bookings are raves/club nights.

What's the deal with Chipmunk?

Whatever happened to Scorcher?

I agree with what your saying.

In regards to the 2nd para, England is as capitalist as America. However what makes Jimmy Iovine pick up a Chief Keef or a 50 Cent? Cos he knows that their is a structure in place that will pick those guys, if he doesn't, and he hates to see others make the money he could have made. XL still picked up Giggs, as they are considered a cutting edge indie label, but lets be honest they could afford to stall and evaluate the situation as Giggs was hardly beating labels away. To me thats the difference.

As for the social/government aspect, Chief Keef regardless of the ignorant sh*t he is doing, from the beginning he has been selling records - he's a musican thats attempting to sell units NOT get a deal, thats what so many of these artists overlook.

Go to the hip hop room, and when the Chief Keef topic starts here http://www.vip2.co.uk/forum/topic/76664-chief-keef/ its AFTER https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/back-from-the-dead/id516662996 is available for SALE on GBE...

Ask yourself if you can say the same for your favourite UK road rapper...

Erm actually i can tbh, Blade Brown etc has had his mixtapes on sale.

Not that anyone is buying it, same thing with Chief Keefs first mixtapes, its not till he got a following with 'I Don't Like' that people would have been buying his music and even then hes sales for his album he dropped was hardly something to applaud.

These US rappers can get signed purely of youtube/hood buzz, thats the difference, someone like Lil Durk is already signed to Def Jam.

Blade didnt have his mixtapes on sale when his name started ringing... He got his business inline as he progressed.

Durk had radio spins.

lol wut?

Blade first thing he put out for sale was Financial Times in 2011...and a part of me wonders if that because he saw what Giggs was doing...

???

This the other thing. These Uk artist arnt even serious like that.

You got guys like Drake who have made MILLIONS, yet every night he in the studio till 5, 6, 7 in the morning making them tunes, everynight.

Then you got a guy like Wretch with talent, who would rather jam in mayfair with white tings instead of in the studio where he should be.

Harsh but true, it is essential for the supposedly ' Leaders Of The Game ' to constantly put music out to the mainstream to expand  the market of UK urban music across Europe.  The genre needs to be treated like a brand so it gives the future generation a chance.  As much as i enjoy their music i feel like they are leeching off the name.