Meanwhile... In Nigeria Over 2000 Innocent People are Slaughtered by Boko Haram

Mame Biram Diouf

The thing is nigerians don't really care

Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the arrest of his predecessor's security adviser, for allegedly stealing some $2bn (£1.3bn).

Sambo Dasuki is accused of awarding phantom contracts to buy 12 helicopters, four fighter jets and ammunition. He denies the allegations.

The equipment was meant for the fight against Boko Haram Islamist militants.

Soldiers have complained that despite the military's huge budget, they were ill-equipped to fight

Daems gone daem

Thats so f*ckry

An i dnt agree with afros comment
It's not the reason and its not a valid reason to not care
We've established why in the other topic

If the Nigerian state doesn't care, and the vast majority of nigerians are in practice quite indifferent, why should the rest of the world care?

You know even leaving out the number of people murdered by Boko Haram, over 60,000 people have been killed in Nigeria due to various incidents of ethnic, religious and communal violence since 1999.

Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the arrest of his predecessor's security adviser, for allegedly stealing some $2bn (£1.3bn).

Sambo Dasuki is accused of awarding phantom contracts to buy 12 helicopters, four fighter jets and ammunition. He denies the allegations.

Soldiers have complained that despite the military's huge budget, they were ill-equipped to fight

Daems gone daem
Thats so f*ckry

If the Nigerian state doesn't care, and the vast majority of nigerians are in practice quite indifferent, why should the rest of the world care?

You know even leaving out the number of people murdered by Boko Haram, over 60,000 people have been killed in Nigeria due to various incidents of ethnic, religious and communal violence since 1999.

Ok cool

• Downvote 2

Daems gone daem

Thats so f*ckry

Nigerians don't care?!? 

What have you used to form such a ludicrous opinion?

Daems gone daem

Thats so f*ckry

Nigerians don't care?!? 

What have you used to form such a ludicrous opinion?

Well where is the evidence to suggest otherwise? I didn't say nigerians didn't care, I said "nigerians are in practice quite indifferent". Nigeria has been bastardized by its leaders for so long that its society suffers from a severe lack of empathy. The average person is just trying to stay alive before worrying about the next man. Nigeria is very hobbesian. Have you seen how the french people have reacted to Friday's events? Nigerians have never reacted to any atrocity in such a way ever. Millions of people died in the civil war, but the response of most nigerians is: "that's old news, don't reopen old wounds". Whereas other countries commemorate events in which ,comparatively speaking, very few people died.

Life is very cheap in Nigeria, and justice is virtually non-existent. So if you know your history, why bother yourself. Not that you don't sympathise with Boko Haram's victims, but what can the average person realistically do, so naturally you become stoical, and indifferent to some extent. 

Added to the fact that tribalism is a very real phenomenon in Nigeria. A person's ethnic group always takes precedence over an artificial sense of a national indentity. An Ijaw man is not really going to care that much if the yoruba gets f*ked over, such is the severe lack of social cohesion in the country. Also, Boko Haram's reign of terror has been confined to the north, so most nigerians in the south haven't had to face up to the group

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sorry - but such a sweeping statement is ridiculous. I have cousins and friends who live in Naij, and anytime we speak its apparent the threat of Boko Haram is something they live with daily. Its also short sighted in the extreme to say because the majority of the violence is in the north the south are indifferent towards it. There have been attacks in the south, attacks that make the presence of Boko Haram very tangible even for those living on Victoria Island. Life is cheap in Nigeria in the same way it is across West Africa, thats the result of having such populus and huge divide between the rich and poor. But Boko Haram don't discriminate between the rich and the poor, they murder them all the same way, I can't subscribe to this idea that because its a nation of tribes their is such division that yoruba's don't care about hausa's being slaughtered in the north.

Well no it's not ridiculous. You obviously dont understand the nuance of my argument. And no there hasn't been any major attacks in the South. Boko Haram's operations have been confined to the North.

At present, there is a larger chance of London being attacked than Victoria Island, Lagos being attacked

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well no it's not ridiculous. You obviously dont understand the nuance of my argument. And no there hasn't been any major attacks in the South. Boko Haram's operations have been confined to the North.

At present, there is a larger chance of London being attacked than Victoria Island, Lagos being attacked

So when Boko Haram bombed the Nyanya Bus Station, that wasn't in the South? When they sent suicide bombers into the markets at Kuje that wasn't in the south? When they bombed the Emab Plaza that wasn't the South? They've been attacking the capital on and off for three years now, don't be so sure in your theory that they limit their activity to the north. 

Victoria Island has an infinitely higher chance of being bombed than London. Boko Haram are present in Nigeria, and VI represents all that they hate about the "westernisation" they're fighting against.

Are you from Nigeria, have you been? I don't understand

So when Boko Haram bombed the Nyanya Bus Station, that wasn't in the South? When they sent suicide bombers into the markets at Kuje that wasn't in the south? When they bombed the Emab Plaza that wasn't the South? They've been attacking the capital on and off for three years now, don't be so sure in your theory that they limit their activity to the north. 

Victoria Island has an infinitely higher chance of being bombed than London. Boko Haram are present in Nigeria, and VI represents all that they hate about the "westernisation" they're fighting against.

Are you from Nigeria, have you been? I don't understand

I'm sorry you're woefully ignorant mate. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

The Nyanya Bus Station bombing was in Nasarawa state which is in the north. Emab plaza is Abuja. If you didn't know Abuja is in the north.

It has never been part of Boko Haram's M.O. to attack the south for whatever reason. If you knew what you were talking about this wouldn't come as a suprise to you. Lagos has never been attacked, whereas London has (numerous islamist attacks have also been thwarted in the intervening years), despite the fact that it would be considerably easy for them attack to Victoria Island if they really wanted.

• Upvote 1

Considering the distance between Nyanya and maiduguri is 11 hours drive, as is the distance between Nyanya and Lagos, I'd say it was central rather than North. And that map above is laughable.

Are you retarded? Northern Nigeria is defined by the old british colonial administration of Northern Nigeria, which carried on into how the Nigerian state was structured in the first republic. It has nothing to do with distance. Please stop embarassing yourself.

Pic.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Okay by all means consume yourself with the technicalities of the locations of these places according to your maps. Your conjecture was that tribalism was part of the reason nigerians are indifferent to the plight of the "northerners" suffering from Boko Haram. I still stand by the fact its a ridiculous claim to make and the absence of evidence to the contrary as reasoning that your claim is true, is also a flawed argument when we're discussing public opinion, hence my questioning, are you Nigerian? Have you been to any of these places or spoken to anyone living in them? 

"The thing is nigerians don't really care" was your statement, and unless you've spoken to heaps, or are living there, its a stupid thing to say.

• Downvote 2

Okay by all means consume yourself with the technicalities of the locations of these places according to your maps. Your conjecture was that tribalism was part of the reason nigerians are indifferent to the plight of the "northerners" suffering from Boko Haram. I still stand by the fact its a ridiculous claim to make and the absence of evidence to the contrary as reasoning that your claim is true, is also a flawed argument when we're discussing public opinion, hence my questioning, are you Nigerian? Have you been to any of these places or spoken to anyone living in them? 

"The thing is nigerians don't really care" was your statement, and unless you've spoken to heaps, or are living there, its a stupid thing to say.

blah, blah, blah. Of course I'm nigerian, I don't think you are seeing that you don't know anything about the country. You thought Abuja was in the south for goodness sake! you don't have any credibility.  Anecdotes and conversations with your friends and family are the sum of everything you know.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

blah, blah, blah. Of course I'm nigerian, I don't think you are seeing that you don't know anything about the country. You thought Abuja was in the south for goodness sake!

Still doesn't answer my question, or address the statement you made.

• Downvote 1

blah, blah, blah. Of course I'm nigerian, I don't think you are seeing that you don't know anything about the country. You thought Abuja was in the south for goodness sake!

I think I have already asnwered your question. But in your stubborness you refuse to admit you're full of sh*t

I think I have already asnwered your question. But in your stubborness you refuse to admit you're full of sh*t

Good deflection. Will take this as confirmation your opinion is that of a fool. 

• Downvote 2

I cried against terrorism, only in foreign lands

By Babajide Alabi

The world has been sympathizing with the people of France and particularly the Parisians who last week witnessed another terrorists attack. The outpouring of grief and sorrow has been very infectious from one end of the world to another. And in the same vein, the condemnation of this unnecessary attack has been universal with no sympathy for religion or race.

It was a sad news from the beautiful city of Paris as it was “confronted” by heartless terrorists parading themselves as modern day religious jihadists. The attack, masterminded by youngsters, was inspired by the infamous ISIS. These were some of the senseless individuals that had been hoodwinked by ISIS propaganda. They had allowed these to rule their heads and pushed into action. No doubt they were brainwashed that slaughtering innocent people is fighting a holy war, a jihad. They would have seen beyond the killings to receive their “rewards in heaven.”

Unfortunately, the French security agencies were all beating hands down, despite reports of their awareness that something terrible  was about to go down in Paris. According to news stories , all the terrorists involved in the attack were known to the agencies.

November 13, 2015 shall go down in the history of the country as a day of sorrow. It was a day the terrorists turned the streets of the French capital into a river of blood. It has been described as the most cruel attack in recent times on innocent people.

The “make up” of the victims was not any different from other attacks witnessed all over the world – they were simply at the wrong places. They were innocents people who had been going about their businesses with no inkling of the evil thoughts of fellow human beings that walk alongside of them. Many of these victims would have laid out their plans for a “tomorrow”. Unfortunately for them their tomorrow ended before it even began. They fell to hails of gun shots, detonated bombs etc from cowardly people who had only one mission – to kill as many as they could.

As the blood of these innocent Parisians “flowed” freely through the streets, it once again brought to reality that terrorism can be as near as on our door steps or in far away places like Boston. It can be as close as the activities of Boko Haram in Nigeria. Or a little far away in Mali where al Qaeda trained terrorists held innocent guests and workers as hostages and killed over twenty.

The attendant shock after the Paris attack was of the same scale with the Al Qaeada inspired 9/11 attack on the Twin Towers in New York in 2001. This is understandable considering the fact that the city of Paris was witnessing the second major attack in a year.  The first being the attack by brothers Cherifb and Said Kouachi on the headquarters of Charlie Hebdo, the French satirical weekly newspaper.

The import of this was not lost on world leaders as they had to push aside their differences to discuss how to defeat the evil that seem to be taking over the world. What a better place to do this than at the G20 meeting held immediately after the Paris attack. It was not surprising when the US President, Barack Obama and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin were caught on camera  seemingly working out strategies to defeat the terrorists before they turn the world into an arena of carnage.

Drawn against the recent attack on a  Russian plane in the Egyptian airspace, the leaders have to move very fast. It is noteworthy that as the “jigsaw” of the Egypt plane crash was being worked out, the Paris attack came as a diversion. The Egyptian officials confirmed what the world already knew that the aircraft was “bombed” out of the airspace.

However, while the world was outraged at these dastardly acts, a few Nigerians “formed” themselves into a “pressure group” to condemn their fellow citizens for sympathising with the world. In no measured terms they have termed every citizen that raised voices against the Paris attack as “ignorant and hypocritical.”

A friend of mine rang me a few days after the attack and was surprised at the way and manner these Nigerians, who he described as heartless have criticised the show of solidarity. Up until his call, I did not place more than a fleeting interest in the comments. However after reading some of them in the course of the week, I still could not  understand my friend’s anger. It might sound inhuman when these Nigerians  felt we should not have “cried with the world” when it was bleeding. The arguments put forward against this may seem very unsympathetic, but a closer examination shows they do have valid points.

The verdict was simple. Nigerians love keeping up with Joneses. They would rather “weep” in the open for a cause so they can come across as being “in the know” than express their innermost feelings. A few days after the attack, the social media company, Facebook, allowed users to update their profile pictures with a light veil of the French flag. As with many other “raves”, Nigerians got on it in large numbers.

This brought out the condemnation of a few Nigerians. They questioned the sincerity of these Nigerians that had chosen the Facebook update as the golden rule. Thy were outraged at these compatriots who had all kept quiet to the daily massacre of innocent citizens by Boko Haram. To them, it is interesting to note that despite Boko Haram described as the deadliest terror groups in the world, according to a report by the Institute of Economics & Peace, Nigerians are still aloof to its activities.

Despite all the killings and massacres that are carried out by the group in recent times, Nigerians have not at any time turned out in a show of solidarity for the victims. The closest we had ever gone was with the Bring Back Our Girls campaign.

At the start of the Boko Haram  killings, rather than call for prayers as we are all doing for France now, we were busy, at that time, trying to convince the world that the former administration of Goodluck Jonathan had a hand in the operations of Boko Haram.

We may ask that at what point do these Nigerians realise that there is power (and succour) in prayers? When religious leaders pleaded for peace in Nigeria and a suggestion of collective will to fight Boko Haram, we all condemned them as government sympathisers. All of a sudden now we  realised, after the French attack, that terrorism is better fought in unity.

It is unfortunate that rather come together, we politicised terrorism in Nigeria. The two leading political parties have been accusing each other of being the sponsors of Boko Haram. For Boko Haram, we were all singing different tunes, pointing fingers in every direction, while the group grew in confidence. The international community was confused at our “outrage” at Goodluck Jonathan rather than sitting down to find a solution to the problem on hand.

Has it now taken the Paris attack for us to come to our senses and fight terrorism? Can we “push” Facebook to honour the victims of all Boko Haram massacres like it did for France? Is it too late to show Boko Haram that we are united and ready to fight them head on, like some of us threatened the Paris attackers?

It is only when we do these that we can show the rest of the world that our cries for the victims of the French attack were borne out of genuine love for humanity. Nobody should die needlessly in the hands of these terrorists. But it takes the genuine interest and support of the people to defeat the hydra headed problem.

In conclusion, are our security agencies watching events in Mali? They should step up their intelligence “powers” because they need no telling that Boko Haram may borrow a page from what happened in Bamako over the weekend. Will our officers be able to counter it or nip it in the bud?

• Downvote 1

• 4 months later...