FAO: People of ethnic minority

Yung Fly + Flashy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think your name could effect your application in quite a few companies, seen it with my own eyeswhen i have children i will bare this in mind and give them a normal-ish name
examples
Me and my girl likes the names Jada and Jacy for girls and Jordan for a boy
LOL... jesus christ ..jacy and jordan... wat a f*ckin shambles are you white by any chance ?live in essex ?HORRIBLe choices for names... HORRENDOUS
nah im black and i live in east londonwell just make sure you don't call your children that then Mohammed

i gave up on tryna get a job 6 years ago when i realised that employees cant be assed to pronounce your name

i mean examples of the effects of the applications still.
oh.went to see one of my friends who works on reception at fitness first and was talking to her when some asian man come in and handed in an application. she gave it to her boss and her boss read the name and said 'did he have an accent?' my friend said yes then she just ripped it up and chucked it.another time where i used to work i was in the office chatting to one of the supervisors and the manager was in there going through applications and was reading the names and throwing away all the foreign sounding one's like Jarosik, Psimek, Rikpal and Fatima were all applications that got turfed on the basis of the name. I also heard her say once, 'i can't even say this name f*ck employing them'few more stories i've been told aswell

Do you have 'Traditional' name (i,e Kwame, Ravi, Mohammed etc)For those who have a traditional name, do you believe employers judge you by your name before they have looked at your CV or granted you an interview?If/When you have children, will you give them an English name or a traditional one and why?
i got an ethnic name, yh it makes a difference moretime in gettin a jobi will name my children some sick names

oh.went to see one of my friends who works on reception at fitness first and was talking to her when some asian man come in and handed in an application. she gave it to her boss and her boss read the name and said 'did he have an accent?' my friend said yes then she just ripped it up and chucked it.another time where i used to work i was in the office chatting to one of the supervisors and the manager was in there going through applications and was reading the names and throwing away all the foreign sounding one's like Jarosik, Psimek, Rikpal and Fatima were all applications that got turfed on the basis of the name. I also heard her say once, 'i can't even say this name f*ck employing them'few more stories i've been told aswell
these dont sound like qualified jobs though end of the day if its some supervisor looking at the cv he just wants someone that is easy to work with and understand.a real organisation wants someone that could do the job.abdul mahammed etcbruv next time you go to a doctor check his nameif ya TRULY QUALIFIED and can do the job i doubt the name will be THAT MUCH of a set back.

these dont sound like qualified jobs though end of the day if its some supervisor looking at the cv he just wants someone that is easy to work with and understand.a real organisation wants someone that could do the job.abdul mahammed etcbruv next time you go to a doctor check his nameif ya TRULY QUALIFIED and can do the job i doubt the name will be THAT MUCH of a set back.
yeah i agree that is true more time, but my brother has had trouble getting interviews in the past for some over qualified city job(not quite sure what it is but he's earning PEE) changed up his name and got nuff interviews and eventually a jobmy doctor is called Doctor Shanker(true stories)

lolmy fams probably got the longest names out thereand we all doing fineYea in some instances this probably happens.But rather ur name is singh , patel, juguhnu, miltinovic, smith or anderson the outcome will still be the same. If a racist asumed you were white because of your name and short listed you for an interview with 3/4 other white foks...He will still turf you in the end. I will rather have a ethnic name that reflects my culture/background, rather than having some fancy name that enforces every stereotype of been GHETTO ( dwayne, tyrone, shaniqua e.t.c) or some slave owners name...The concept of thinking that you are at advantage for having an english name is very coonish IMO..but heeey each to their own.I dont think my life woulda been any better if my name was different

no point trying to avoid racism and compromising the names you want for ya child cos they same prejedice will come and bite you in the arse at the next hurdle in things like office politics etc.your there to do a job simple as this problem will never go away and needs to be tackled from the route of where the ignorance begun and that is YEARS AGO and the people higher up in the company probably are older and have that instilled in them.give it time by the time ya kids are that age it may not be an issue like it is now as this country is becoming more globalised.

probably does affect the employer, but shouldnt affect you. i remember them talking about this one time on bbc london and a man said he sent in 2 cv's one with english and another with african name the african CV having more of the essential experience than the english oneso he changed the address on one to his neighbour's address, the english name got called for an interview oh yeah and he said it was a govt job, AND that they specified that they were particulalry looking for ethnic minorities biggrin.gif

probably does affect the employer, but shouldnt affect you. i remember them talking about this one time on bbc london and a man said he sent in 2 cv's one with english and another with african name the african CV having more of the essential experience than the english oneso he changed the address on one to his neighbour's address, the english name got called for an interview biggrin.gif
this just shows they SKIMMED thru the cv which also means its not a skilled job OR the person that looked at the cv probably wasnt as qualified as the applicant.call it a crisis or leadership-proposition joe.

probably does affect the employer, but shouldnt affect you. i remember them talking about this one time on bbc london and a man said he sent in 2 cv's one with english and another with african name the african CV having more of the essential experience than the english oneso he changed the address on one to his neighbour's address, the english name got called for an interview biggrin.gif
this just shows they SKIMMED thru the cv which also means its not a skilled job OR the person that looked at the cv probably wasnt as qualified as the applicant.call it a crisis or leadership-proposition joe.
lol, u been bangin out them wire lines. sheeeeeeeeeeit.

Blud, your a joker. You really think that these things only exist in retail and jobs like that? You dont think they happen when skills come into play?My name is Western and I'm proud. No one never laughed when the teacher attempted to pronounce my name and I dont get called different variations so my name is bless.Slave owner name or not my name is my name and I make it what it is.