Weekend Football Topic

HangTheDJ

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least that's what we thought when we read various headlines over the weekend. In reality, of course, he did nothing of the sort. And while Adebayor's goal celebration was moronic and egomaniacal, the fact that he alone has been blamed for the resulting disorder is a reflection of the entirely inappropriate amount of moral power that has been given to the modern football fan. They are allowed to abuse footballers in as disgusting a manner as they please, and yet those players are not permitted to respond in even the most polite of terms.The envy of supporters has dehumanised footballers, as it does in all areas of celebrity. Just as tabloid gossip columns – and we read them all, every day – revel in and poke fun at celebrity break-ups, as if the subjects are somehow immune to the crushing dejection of heartbreak, so fans seem to think that, just because a footballer earns £xxx,000 per week, they should have the capacity to laugh off hateful chants about incest, or their wife's sexual proclivities, or suggestions that they did not father their children. What absolute horse pucky. If fans give it, they should be able to take it. It's that simple, yet instead they hide risibly under the umbrella of "We pay at the gate, therefore we can do what we want". Yes, because that really applies in other consumer industries.
If I was earning 100,000 a week I would have the capacity to laugh off chants about ABC.

"One afternoon, the way back from having lunch we decided to go shopping. I'd been told about Costco and so we decided to go in and have a look. As we were going through the door, the security guard stopped. We assumed he was asking for a member's card that we didn't have and so, not be able to explain in English, we just turned and left without a word. The next day I was told if you’re not a member you can’t shop there.
Fernando Torres>>>>>

"One afternoon, the way back from having lunch we decided to go shopping. I'd been told about Costco and so we decided to go in and have a look. As we were going through the door, the security guard stopped. We assumed he was asking for a member's card that we didn't have and so, not be able to explain in English, we just turned and left without a word. The next day I was told if you're not a member you can't shop there.
Fernando Torres>>>>>
Sooo he went Costco, without a members card, and therefore couldnt shop there, so he went home?Amazing.

"One afternoon, the way back from having lunch we decided to go shopping. I'd been told about Costco and so we decided to go in and have a look. As we were going through the door, the security guard stopped. We assumed he was asking for a member's card that we didn't have and so, not be able to explain in English, we just turned and left without a word. The next day I was told if you're not a member you can't shop there.
Fernando Torres>>>>>
Sooo he went Costco, without a members card, and therefore couldnt shop there, so he went home?Amazing.
innit there is a liverpool topic for this kinda thingi would expect yung r to post this as well

At least that's what we thought when we read various headlines over the weekend. In reality, of course, he did nothing of the sort. And while Adebayor's goal celebration was moronic and egomaniacal, the fact that he alone has been blamed for the resulting disorder is a reflection of the entirely inappropriate amount of moral power that has been given to the modern football fan. They are allowed to abuse footballers in as disgusting a manner as they please, and yet those players are not permitted to respond in even the most polite of terms.The envy of supporters has dehumanised footballers, as it does in all areas of celebrity. Just as tabloid gossip columns – and we read them all, every day – revel in and poke fun at celebrity break-ups, as if the subjects are somehow immune to the crushing dejection of heartbreak, so fans seem to think that, just because a footballer earns £xxx,000 per week, they should have the capacity to laugh off hateful chants about incest, or their wife's sexual proclivities, or suggestions that they did not father their children. What absolute horse pucky. If fans give it, they should be able to take it. It's that simple, yet instead they hide risibly under the umbrella of "We pay at the gate, therefore we can do what we want". Yes, because that really applies in other consumer industries.
If I was earning 100,000 a week I would have the capacity to laugh off chants about ABC.
Why ? its irrelevant how much you earn, just because you earn p you should look the other way thats bullshit