La Liga Thread

Hernandez Balcazar

If Wenger won the CL with this team he's thrown together then fair dues, you might could say that he is on par with Mourinho, but as legacies go it's been way too long since last arsenal won a ting for the comparison to stick.

Last 5 years Wengers trophy haul equals Sam Alardyce so if you want a subject to compare to, that a much more accurate place to start ;) lol

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Holland '74 team & the team of that era never won sh*t, yet they're considered top 3 selected of all-time.

Diego Maradona trophy haul pales in comparison to other players, yet he's considered the GOAT.

sh*t, Rafa Benitez has appeared in 4 finals, won 1, but people think he's sh*t.

My point is, ranking players, teams & coaches isn't a science. You can't rank STRICTLY with statistics, you've got to look at all the variables...

Because TBH, Rafa winning it with 'Pool & breaking the monopoly of Barca & Madrid in La Liga >>> anything Mourinho has done in his career thus far IMO. Doesn't necessarily make him the better coach.

These kinda questions are all up for interpretation, allow just basing football on stats alone.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Guest Portuguese

A premiership great yes? But a European great don't be silly.

Nobody(apart from vip posters) will place him on the same level as the likes of Michal,Happoel,Sacchi,Paisley,Ferguson,Shankley,Hitzfeld,Clough,Del Bosque.

Mourinho will because Football only remembers the winners.

As for Wenger turning Real down you must know his reasons something about the job not being stable which really means he knows he cannot go a season without trophy (he rather stay somewhere he can go five seasons without one talk about staying in your comfort zone).

Why are you talking about 2009? When the guy won it 2010.

Guest Portuguese

Mourinho winning the european cup with Porto tops anything Rafa has done.

If Wenger done the same with Monaco I would of been impressed.

Someone just said he changed english football that makes him a great LOL.

• Downvote 1

A premiership great yes? But a European great don't be silly.

Nobody(apart from vip posters) will place him on the same level as the likes of Michal,Happoel,Sacchi,Paisley,Ferguson,Shankley,Hitzfeld,Clough,Del Bosque.

Mourinho will because Football only remembers the winners.

As for Wenger turning Real down you must know his reasons something about the job not being stable which really means he knows he cannot go a season without trophy (he rather stay somewhere he can go five seasons without one talk about staying in your comfort zone).

Why are you talking about 2009? When the guy won it 2010.

I was talking about Wenger.

You say football only remembers winners. No, only half-interested followers remember winners. People who are actually into the game know the exploits of less-reknowned coaches.

Guy Roux never won the European Cup. But I dare you to go to anyone who's got extensive knowledge of the game & tell them what he did at Auxerre wasn't legendary sh*t.

Wenger will go down, for 2 things. Modernising the English game & being in the English game with a great style. You say only ViP2 posters only rank him on a continental stage, yet football coaches across the globe wax lyrical about him & the team so maybe YOU should pay more attention to matters outside Spain & Portugal.

• Upvote 2

Guest Portuguese

Wenger is trying to do what Cruyff done for Barca(transformed the whole club and created a legacy has a european trophy to show for it) but its not working its not going to until he combines his current team with transfers that scare the rest of europe.

Mourinho as a tactician is better than Cruyff IMO.

Mourinho winning the european cup with Porto tops anything Rafa has done.

If Wenger done the same with Monaco I would of been impressed.

Someone just said he changed english football that makes him a great LOL.

:/

Serious.

/

Won't even turn it into another debate, but top statement is debatable. Compare, Rafa's lpool team to Mourinhos, and the games to the final etc.

Guest Portuguese

Guy Roux is an instuiton for French Football never had the funds to compete in Europe but I wouldn't rank him alongside the likes of Sacchi

The guys I mentioned(the great managers) are not from just Spain/Portugal.

So it was quite silly of you to try and insist that I pay more attention to football outside Ibeira.

MK like I said before you know your football but seriously you have to stop taking me for a guy who only watches the premier league like many of posters on here.

with that said though

very very few managers posses the tactical intelligence of wenger

I dunno about that mate, and I love Arsene.

:lol:

/

@Portugese, again, my counter-point was this, you say Wenger can't go down as an all-time great of European football until he's won the CL. Fam, allow taking him for some Don Revie. For his coaching ALONE, he's reknowned globally & that's the basis of my point. A trophy haul alone cannot solely determine the ranking of the best teams, best players, best managers.

with that said though

/

@Portugese, again, my counter-point was this, you say Wenger can't go down as an all-time great of European football until he's won the CL. Fam, allow taking him for some Don Revie. For his coaching ALONE, he's reknowned globally & that's the basis of my point. A trophy haul alone cannot solely determine the ranking of the best teams, best players, best managers.

oh wait lets not judge him on only on his tactics against barca :lol:

with that said though

/

Fam, are you tr-olling me into re-living what happened against United, Chelsea, etc the past couple of years?

It's not going to work fam, lol.

with that said though

/

Fam, are you tr-olling me into re-living what happened against United, Chelsea, etc the past couple of years?

It's not going to work fam, lol.

:lol: deep wounds heal slow

sorry mate

SAF >>>>>>>> mourinho >>>>>>>

Bollocks

:/

Ferguson isn't judged by the same standards as modern coaches, it's alright looking at the performance of Man Utd over the past 20 years and saying look at what he's won etc but take in to account the money he's had at his disposal, the number of years he went without winning a trophy at the start and you can't compare him to Mourinho imo.

Man Utd fans are hilarious because they're the first to point the finger at managers such as Benitez and Wenger for not winning the league for how many years but seem to forget (or not know) that it took Ferguson 7 years to win his first league title. The money in the bank that Ferguson has to cover himself in bad patches was earned in an era with less pressure and much more leniency, modern coaches aren't given anywhere near as much time to put together a long term plan and as a result are expected to produce results pretty much instantly.

If Wenger, Benitez or Mourinho we're given 7 years to build a league winning side with the equivalent cash Ferguson was given and in charge for 24 years I'm certain they'd surpass him with considerable ease.

Ferguson has been very successful domestically but he himself has said that 2 European cups isn't enough or the amount of time he's been there.

To sum up like MK said you can't just use trophies and stats, you need to put them in context.

• Downvote 4