Bonuses & Perfomance related pay

Ephren Taylor

ye theres no doubt bankers work hard. the hours lessen as you move up but still its not a 9-5 job. its a lifestyle more than an occupation.

lol @ 90% tax, whats the point of gettin paid anything. any tax shouldnt go above 50%. 60% maybe but when most of your earnings are getting taken it feels like your gettin raped. might aswell be a communist lol.

Tax on their bonus they are still getting 10% which is still like 50-100grand probably still millions for some people on top of their already high salary which is only taxed 50% ir they earn over 150k

ye theres no doubt bankers work hard. the hours lessen as you move up but still its not a 9-5 job. its a lifestyle more than an occupation.

lol @ 90% tax, whats the point of gettin paid anything. any tax shouldnt go above 50%. 60% maybe but when most of your earnings are getting taken it feels like your gettin raped. might aswell be a communist lol.

Tax on their bonus they are still getting 10% which is still like 50-100grand probably still millions for some people on top of their already high salary which is only taxed 50% ir they earn over 150k

i can understand people getting pissed about companies like lloyds paying out mad bonuses when the taxpayer owns 41% of the company cos that is a joke

but companies like barclays which is a private company and didn't cause the recession can reward their staff however they want

a 50 grand bonus is not a lot of money for the work you put in if you are a hard-working investment banker

its just because it dont bode well for the economy to generally concentrate wealth rather than to spread it and fill "everyones" pockets as a result.

but your right , a private company in a capitalistic society can do as they please. whether people approve or not it doesnt really matter, as long as everythings done by the book they cant be touched.

like i said, deep down for most politicians its cos their burning up with jelousy.

its just because it dont bode well for the economy to generally concentrate wealth rather than to spread it and fill "everyones" pockets as a result.

but your right , a private company in a capitalistic society can do as they please. whether people approve or not it doesnt really matter, as long as everythings done by the book they cant be touched.

like i said, deep down for most politicians its cos their burning up with jelousy.

i doubt its jealousy tbh

their doing the highest form of public service and to get pl to vote for them and win

i would think they are smart enough to also get a high paying banking job if they desired

maybe

nah but thats why its jelousy. it obviously varies from person to person, but because they are so high profiled in the public eye and the graft they have put in to get to their level, when they see this person caking like that they do feel a bit jelous - because they think things like they "could" do that and should get that kind of wealth to reflect their status in society, etc.

if they didnt care about money reflecting their occupation then we wouldnt have so many politicians eating off the government on the sly.

come on, that ex-labour mp has just been done for claiming £14k on expenses. thats a relatively small amount of money for a successful professional but it obviously meant enough to him to risk his job, reputation and freedom to scam that.

so if that relatively small amount of money means that much to some of them, then im sure the 100s of thousands and millions these bankers are getting definately catches their attention, and it could very well be in a perspective different to what they show to the public.

Guest M12 Part 2

Tbh most bankers performance related pay is fair. A guy who gets a 1 million bonus will have earned the company at least 10 mill. It's the same argument ad footballers. I don't care if your not saving lives. If you can do a job nobody else cando that makes money. You deserve to be paid for it.

Guest Waka Flocka Dave

i can understand people getting pissed about companies like lloyds paying out mad bonuses when the taxpayer owns 41% of the company cos that is a joke

but companies like barclays which is a private company and didn't cause the recession can reward their staff however they want

a 50 grand bonus is not a lot of money for the work you put in if you are a hard-working investment banker

Neither Barclays nor Santander received a direct bailout from the taxpayer during the banking crisis.

However, Barclays did take advantage of a government liquidity fund and critics said it was able to offer low interest rates safe in the knowledge it would not be allowed to fail.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/852444-bankers-bonuses-continue-as-bosses-brazen-it-out#ixzz1ArMHGOgd

that aint major, bt Barclays gt some gov security, although i dnt see a problem with them cos they performed pretty well during the recession unlike RBS

But how can one guy get that much of a bonus when they are about to cut 600 jobs worldwide....?

'Cost efficiencies' are one of the ways people earn their bonus.. Virtualisation, Scavenging and redeployment of resources to 'cost efficient locations'

The pound is much weaker than it used to be, so its more expensive to employ 600 people in say London or Singapore than it is in emerging markets like India or Kiev etc

1 employee in London can equal 6 people in an emerging market

this is basically the ethical arguement. unfortunately ethics doesn't run the economy or have any major effect unless its linked to legislation.

Ethics are non existent... Its a cut throat, volatile environment filled with risk, risk and more risk. Its a world where you're referred to as a resource, instead of a person. You learn this quickly, though, and try to use it to your advantage.

• 5 weeks later...

I won't ask the exact figure... but how much less was it than last year?

A considerable amount less. I'd say its about 5000 light!!

Actually laughed when they told me the figure in the comp meeting.

You know them ones when you create a virtual shopping list in your head from early....

How was yours? Better than mine I hope..

Last year, when the bankers bonus circus first kicked off, we received a stealth bonus. They increased the basic, and back dated it, so you got a nice lump sum that wasnt technically a bonus + your performance related comp.

This year though, It was just comp. I worked more hours last year than I have ever worked. All unsociable hours aswell. Every public holiday!!

I survived the 1st round of redundancies aswell, so was expecting a special thank you, but actually feel like the survivors have been mugged off

Been tweaking my CV all day lol

She's a junior research analyst

Said her bonus is a bit sh*t, she's used to about a 10k bonus

lol

She mustve got a promotion to MD level, and has been performing a senior role without the grade for the past year. Although, that doesnt quite make sense based on her bonus (which is performance related)

She's gassing about a 4x wage increase, unless she was on 10k last year

Dont see the benefit in her lying tbh