The Mighty Transition: Why Arsenal Haven't Won Anything in 6 Years.

Michel Kane

Guest Portuguese

suppose this was only a matter of time, and whilst I think most Arsenal fans would really dislike the idea of being owned like this, at least it's Kroenke and not Usmanov. Bracewell-Smith has been looking to sell for a while, and by all accounts Fiszman is extremely unwell, so it's no surprise that either would sell eventually. I wonder how much this will change things at Arsenal.

For all the unloved likes of Tom Hicks, George Gillett and the Glazers, there are good Americans like Randy Lerner and John W Henry. Time will tell but Stan Kroenke appears to belong in the latter pair’s company.Four years ago, Kroenke was famously dismissed by Arsenal’s chairman, Peter Hill-Wood, as “not our sort” yet he actually seems to fit into the club’s ethos of evolution ahead of revolution, of owners behaving with a touch of class. “Silent Stan” is certainly not flashy. The mere act of his takeover will end any uncertainty in the boardroom and Arsenal have always prided themselves on their stability.Any arms-across-the-ocean welcome to Kroenke must inevitably come with certain caveats. For all the desire to “sweat the crest”, maximising Arsenal’s commercial potential globally, the club must not lose sight of long-standing principles that have guided them so well.Ticket prices have already risen too high, for instance. Supporters’ concerns must be listened to. Encouragingly, Kroenke has been in contact with fans’ organisations, indicating that he is Arsenal’s “sort”.So much is right about the Arsenal. The stadium is excellent. The community scheme is exceptional. The academy unearths occasional gems.Where Kroenke can take Arsenal forward is by working with Arsène Wenger to quicken the pursuit of trophies. Kroenke is not the sort to accept second place.In turn, Wenger is hardly the type to appreciate any interference but Arsenal have prospered most when the manager liaised with David Dein.They moved quickly and adroitly in the transfer market.Wenger, who can dither, particularly over buying goalkeepers, sometimes just needs a gentle nudge from the board, reminding him that funds are available for a commanding centre-half or an experienced keeper. Dein was adept at doing this.The former vice-chairman would relish a return to the club he loves but some within the building may not be so keen. At the very least, Kroenke should talk to Dein for advice on how best to forge a strong working relationship with Wenger.If the takeover looks promising for Arsenal, there has to be certain reservations for the Premier League itself. The top four clubs are now all in foreign hands, which is not necessarily a bad thing in itself (as some English owners are dreadful), but it means another stride down the road to the Premier League being run from the Everglades, Denver, Abu Dhabi or a super-yacht moored off Monaco.American sports are beginning to stage competitive games overseas as seen recently and successfully with the NFL at Wembley. The Premier League must never, ever host games abroad. It must remain true to its English roots, its connection with the terrace community that has made it so popular.-Henry Winterhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8441870/Henry-Winter-Arsenals-new-owner-could-nudge-Arsene-Wenger-in-the-right-direction.html
Stan will own 62% of the club, and talk he will seek to buy out Usmanov.

Stan Kroenke has launched a bid to takeover Arsenal Football Club.The American will offer £11,750 for each of Danny Fizsman and Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith's stake within Arsenal Holdings PLC, the company which controls the interests of Arsenal FC.Mr Kroenke, President of KSE, said: "We are excited about the opportunity to increase our involvement with and commitment to Arsenal. Arsenal is a fantastic Club with a special history and tradition and a wonderful manager in Arsene Wenger. We intend to build on this rich heritage and take the Club to new success. I am delighted that Peter Hill-Wood has agreed to support us by continuing as Chairman. "We especially wish to acknowledge and thank the Board, Danny Fiszman and the Fiszman family as well as Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith and her family for the confidence they have had in me over the past years and in allowing us to move forward in this more prominent role."Peter Hill-Wood, Chairman of Arsenal, said: "The Board of Directors and I consider it a key responsibility to protect the ethos and spirit of the Club. Mr Kroenke, although relatively new to Arsenal, has shown himself to be a man who values and respects the history and traditions of this very special Club that we cherish. We are confident that he will be a safe custodian of its future."At this time of transition I would like to pay particular tribute to Danny Fiszman for his immense contribution. Danny's vision and drive led the relocation to our new stadium, an historic move which will benefit the Club and its many passionate fans long into the future."I would like to pay tribute to the important and long-standing role that the Bracewell-Smith family have played in Arsenal's history. The family have been staunch supporters of the Club for over 70 years and the Club is significantly indebted to them for the role that they have played in its development and success. We will be considering appropriate ways to mark this long and valued contribution."Arsene Wenger, manager of Arsenal, said: "I have worked with Stan Kroenke at board meetings over the past couple of years and I believe he has the best interests of Arsenal at heart. He understands the Club's heritage and traditions and our ambition to run the Club in a way which protects our long term future."

I get the feeling Usmanov tried a ting & the board's hand was forced...

Today KSE, UK, INC. (“KSE”) has announced an Offer for Arsenal Holdings PLC. As part of the Offer KSE, which is a company owned by existing Arsenal Director Stan Kroenke, has committed to continue to operate the Club in line with our existing self-sustaining business model.Mr Kroenke has a proven track record of successful long-term investment in sport and has confirmed that he has asked the existing Board to remain in place. This includes Mr Peter Hill-Wood as Chairman. Mr Kroenke is also fully supportive of Manager Arsène Wenger whom he has stated is a wonderful manager.KSE has also stated that the offer will not be funded by debt finance secured against the Club. The Independent Directors of Arsenal comprising of Mr Hill-Wood, Ivan Gazidis, Ken Friar, Sir Chips Keswick and Lord Harris of Peckham have considered these confirmations as well as the Offer price and, having received advice from an independent adviser, Rothschild, are recommending that shareholders accept the Offer

Last week I heard that Danny Fiszman had two weeks to live.And I heard that Lady Nina was phoning around, trying to sell her shares.On Saturday I emailed Danny, thanking him for everything he's done for Arsenal. On Sunday my email rebounded.Today's Stan Kroenke takeover means that David Dein will not return to Arsenal.Danny's agenda was to keep Usmanov and Dein out, so Stan was his only option.Usmanov owns 27%.As I said here a long time ago, Danny Fiszman has chosen Stan Kroenke as Arsenal's next owner.It's been a gradual transition because Silent Stan is very shrewd. His Arsenal is already an Amerikan corporation, already Disneyland, a tourist attraction crammed with foreigners and plastic gooners.I think it's ghastly news.Stan won't invest in the team and will not be able to manage the stubborn Wenger, so Arsene FC will continue to be a profit-making business run by a increasingly argumentative French spin-doctor.

Alisher Usmanov is "considering his position" and will make statement in next 24 hours. Usmanov is disappointed that Arsenal "will be run the same way as before"BBC Business Editor Robert Peston (and Arsenal supporter) says Alisher Usmanov is livid, in no mood to sell his shares to Kroenke and feels stitched up by the club.When your set to make MILLIONS in less than 4 years, yet still livid, it's actually a mad ting.

The Stan Kroenke ‘takeover’ news is obviously a massively important issue for Arsenal Football Club, but also for the fans.I spoke to Tim Payton from the Arsenal Supporter’s Trust about these developments, what they might mean for the club in the here and now and the future, and what might happen to the other shareholders including Red and White Holdings as well as those who hold a much smaller stake in the club.This interview is ©arseblog.com 2011http://arseblog.com/podcasts/astinterview_11042011.mp3http://arseblog.com/

how successful are any of his other franchises?
Denver Nuggets (NBA)... Since 2000 (when he took over) - 5th, 6th, 6th, 7th, Lost First Round of Play-offs, Lost First Round of Play-Offs, Lost First Round of Play-Offs, Lost First Round of Play-Offs, Lost First Round of Play-Offs, Lost Conference Final, Lost First Round of Play-Offs.Currently on his third manager. First who was incharge was sacked/resigned for telling a fan to "Go drink another beer, you Mexican piece of sh*t", second was fired for a six-game losing streak.Colorado Rapids (MLS)... Since 2004 (when he took over) - Lost Quarter-Final in Play-Offs, Lost Semi-Final in Play-Offs, Lost Semi-Finals, Didn't Qualify, Didn't Qualify, Didn't Qualify, Champions.Currently on his second manager. First coach resigned with 43 wins - 55 losses - 26 draws.St. Louis Rams (NFL)... Been the main shareholder since 1995, took over full control in 2010, and due to this he had to pass the above and his other sporting franchises over to his son. Rams won the Super Bowl in 1999 and lost the Super Bowl 2001.Currently on their fifth manager. First resigned, second retired from the game after winning The Super Bowl, third was ill when declared fit to return was sacked, fourth was fired after 2 seasons mainly for arguing with the teams star players.
  • Upvote 1