Week 05 - 12/13 - Premiership / League Cup / European Leagues

User

We can argue about why he never did it on the CL stage but end of the day it comes down to opinion.

I don't think as a footballer Cantona shoulda been scared of anybody.

I've seen that man do things in the pre match warm up I've never seen anybody else even attempt.

• Downvote 1

Are you man really comparing Zidane with Catona? Smh

Cant be

The comparison is being made for each players abilities during the times highlighted, I.E between Euro 96 & 98 (Cantona's retirement,

Don't think anyone's doubting that Zidane went on to surpass Cantona.

What's wrong with Comparing Zidane with Cantona in terms of their potential input at Euro 96 and World cup 98?. It isn't like guys are saying if Cantona had stuck around he'd be a bigger influence between 2000 and 2006, that'd be riddiculous.

Porchy If we are talking achievements yea but not ability in my eyes.

If we are talking achievements then we gotta be talking teams aswell.

I feel a good example of that is Ginola, best winger I've seen in my life, Cruyff wanted him at Barca after his 1st year at Newcastle, he didn't go and ended up at Villa and Spurs (no offense intended) he had the ability to be getting Ballon Dors but he weren't in the right team.

Moratti wanted Cantona when he took Ince, maybe his reputation woulda been better on a global scale if he went but interms of ability Cantona did things and scored goals very few footballers of any generation could.

I know you respect Platini so if man like that was going out of his way to Anfield to try and get him a deal how much does that say about his belief in Cantona's ability?

Only his temperament held his full potential back.

• Downvote 1

For once I'm slightly on Toneys side. Zidane best football was played after cantona retired. In 96 cantona was probably the better player but his reputation went against him. If they were both in the same team in 96 cantona probably would've started over him.

For once I'm slightly on Toneys side. Zidane best football was played after cantona retired. In 96 cantona was probably the better player but his reputation went against him. If they were both in the same team in 96 cantona probably would've started over him.

Nobody disagrees with that Cantona was better than Zidane aged 24 playing for Bordeaux on the verge of joining Juve

What I am screaming ability wise

Zidane is on another planet to Cantona

Cantona is one of the greatest the English game has ever seen

While Zidane is one of the greatest the World game has ever seen

• Upvote 1

Inter and Liverpool aren't quite Real Madrid are they?

Ginola had no chance of getting Ballon D'ors

After seeing your posts about certain players you rate in England it says to me your knowledge is very limited when comes to players on the continent.

My knowledge of football on the continent was as good as anyone's in the 90's.

You ain't seen Ginola properly if you saying he had no chance, imagine a winger who can go either way but had the technique of a playmaker.

Could do anything Figo could do and probably a better dribbler aswell.

I don't care where people play, I just rate ballers, I don't get gassed by the continent.

What I am screaming ability wise

Zidane is on another planet to Cantona

Like I said I don't personally think so, even if I was to say Zidane had more ability (which I ain't) it defo wouldn't be planets we are talking.

Cantona did world class things constantly.

The only thing Zidane has done which I ain't seen Cantona do is that left foot volley against Leverkusen in CL Final.

Cantona is one of the greatest the English game has ever seen

While Zidane is one of the greatest the World game has ever seen

But this comes down to world and european accolades, not ability.

To end this Cantona vs Zidane debate

In 1993 Cantona was given the chance to be the guy who carried France

He fell at the first hurdle ie qualification against Bulgaria at PDP FFS

Now Zidane carried France at an actual world cup finals

Germany 2006

Something Cantona couldn't simply do

Like I said in 20 years time nobody will remember Cantona outside England and Manchester while Zidane will be remembered in 100 years time on the world stage

As for your knowledge in football 90s played on the continent I refuse to believe you know anything on the subject

You said Gascoigne was one of the best in the 90s when in truly he was one of the best in England only

You have stop this my friend