2014 FIA Formula 1

The King

Lewis Hamilton says Nico Rosberg has admitted he hit him deliberately during the Belgian Grand Prix “to prove a point”.

Rosberg clipped Hamilton's left rear wheel on the second lap of the race at Spa, causing a puncture which demoted Hamilton from the lead of the race to the back of the field. Having eventually retired while Rosberg finished second, Hamilton said Rosberg revealed in a meeting after the race that he had deliberately allowed the contact to happen.

“It looked quite clear to me but we just had a meeting about it and he basically said he did it on purpose,” Hamilton said. “He said he did it on purpose, he said he could have avoided it. He said 'I did it to prove a point', he basically said 'I did it to prove a point'. And you don't have to just rely on me, go and ask Toto [Wolff], Paddy [Lowe] and all those guys who are not happy with him as well.”

With Wolff saying Mercedes will need to impose team orders from now on, Hamilton said he doesn't know how the team will be able to handle the situation.

“I can't imagine what the team would do now. We came in to this weekend and I came with a really positive mind thought. I really was excited … we've got eight races and we're close – there's only 11 points in it – and I thought it was going to be good for all of us. Good racing, I thought this was going to be a track that was going to be exciting.

“It's interesting because we had that meeting on Thursday and Nico expressed how angry he was – I was thinking 'It's been three weeks and you've been lingering?!' He expressed how angry he was, he literally sat there and said how angry he was at Toto and Paddy. But I thought we should be good after that and then this result … it's interesting.”

Source?

As there will always be different interpretation of "I didn't do anything to prevent the possibilities of a crash" vs "I hit him as hard as I technically could"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

50m yh