Recognising a GOOD vocallist???

Ephren Taylor

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've listened to Freddie 'not bad if ur levels are low' MercuryIm not saying rock singers arent good, im just saying that R&B singing requires a much higher level of talent to be recognised as good...I challenge anyone to show me a rock singer who can sing better than thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nvsWQwd53I

LOL @ this turning into a black vs white singers rather than Rock vs RnBRepresent:How do you embed?
Sorry but I laughed out loud at the prospect of Jimi Hendrix being a good vocalist, atleast Phil Lynott man. It's not a white or black thing either, it's a Rock Vs "R&B" thing so you're gonna tend to see more blanks on the Rock side and darkies on the "R&B" side.Btw have you got around to recording that guitar demonstration yet ?
Its true, I just wanted to be controversial sad.gif Jimi Hendrix could back out some notes.sh*t I forgot, I'll record some stuff now. Hang tight.This guy is a mixture. Funk. One of the most innovative/best groups imo:

U shouldnt really be comparing the two.Second they are different type of Rock..Rnb wins hands down, U cant really be comparing todays rnb sngers tho. Alot of them are more pop than Soul or Rnb.But still that chick form Evernesence (sp) can sing her ass off..

Guest Sean Ash

It makes me laugh how people can still go out in order to recognise talent.Bare people can sing..when we are dead in 50 years time.. people will carry on singing.We have operah singers, rock singers, r&b singers.. nothings changed..Only thing changed is the people singing them..Same notes, same keys.. different backing track.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> simply a higher level of singing than rock singers.....She's an 'amateur' aswell...
The problem is, you equate the gospel/classic soul/contemporary R&B vocal approach (which you'd call "black" singing) as the objectively "good" type of singing - i.e. clean range, rhythm, smooth tone, etc. You assume that this method of conveying emotion and expression, is the "correct" way. You don't catch that other approaches to singing, such as some from the rock continuum, are equivalent in skill and quality. So you don't understand it, and so don't grasp that the best rock vocalists match the best soul vocalists for expression and impact, for character, tone and even soulNow this girl has a nicely clear and sweet voice, and can hit her notes like an outstanding church gospel singer. But to say she is better than EVERY rock singer, from Robert Plant to Stevie Nicks to Jeff Buckley, is frankly, preposterous. and anyway,
Freddie Mercury lock the thread.

Are you really saying dude from Next is a better singer than Freddie Mercury? Really? laugh.gif
Thats not the point i was making...Im saying that I can recognise when somebody has a good voice, and when one has an amazing voice.. in R&B styleeeebut I cannot in Rock.... Freddie Mercury was good.. Ive even said that.... Soulful, varied pitch = good...That husky rock voice na mek it really tho if ur talking about levels...