iPhone

Mr. Gayle

• 2 weeks later...

was gonna upgrade to the 5s but think ill hold out till september for the 6, meant to have a 4.7" screen with a even bigger one dropping early 2015.

4.7 will do me tho, not on them hench phonetabs

• 2 weeks later...

http://doulci.net/

Apple too late to stop massive iCloud breach, hackers claim

No stolen iPhone is safe, whether it’s locked or not.
An anonymous hacker who has exploited an iCloud security flaw that lets anyone unlock a lost or stolen iPhone says Apple contacted him about the matter today, but he deleted the email.
“They have asked me to contact [them] as quickly as possible, but why now?” the hacker, who goes by AquaXetine, said in an email to Cult of Mac. “I’ve already warned Apple couple months ago.” Cult of Mac confirmed that the email did in fact come from Apple.
The hack, which is the first of its kind, bypasses the iCloud security system for locked iOS devices called Activation Lock. By using the free DoulCi site, which appeared to be offline most of the day but is now back up, a locked iOS device can be tricked into thinking it’s talking to Apple’s iCloud servers when connected to a computer.
When it was introduced in iOS 7, Apple called Activation Lock "a really powerful theft deterrent."
When it was introduced in iOS 7, Apple called Activation Lock “a really powerful theft deterrent.”
With iPhone theft accounting for about half the crimes in cities like San Francisco and New York, lawmakers are pushing legislation that requires all smartphones to have built-in kill switches. Activation Lock is Apple’s answer to the problem, a fail-safe introduced in iOS 7 to keep stolen iPhones and iPads from being usable. The system is designed to keep the contents of locked devices unreadable and unable to be erased without the user’s Apple ID

The hackers responsible for bypassing iCloud and Activation Lock, known by online pseudonyms AquaXetine and MerrukTechnolog, form Team DoulCi (roughly “iCloud” backward).
Their exploit, which they are labeling “the world’s first iCloud Activation Bypass,” involves adding just one line of code to the “hosts” file on a desktop computer. Instructions can be found on the tool’s new website, DoulCi. Dutch publication De Telegraaf first reported news of the hack this morning.
Security researcher and iOS hacker Steven De Franco described the bypass as a “man-in-the-middle attack,” which means that it intercepts traffic going between a device and Apple’s servers. “It seems like it’s a firmware-related bug,” said De Franco in an interview with Cult of Mac. “So it would require a new update [from Apple] to patch it.”
When the hack is used and an iPhone is tricked past Activation Lock, the SIM card becomes unreadable “because they don’t have Apple’s private keys to tell the phone whether it’s unlocked or not,” explained De Franco. The two hackers behind DoulCi have sai they have a fix coming for the SIM block issue.

The DoulCi website says the tool was “built with love for the people to give them a second chance to get there iDevices working again” and is “only for personal use.”
Tweets show that thousands of locked iPhones around the world have been bypassed using the tool just today. Most of the tweets thanking the two hackers come from outside of the U.S, where stolen iOS devices are shipped and sold at a premium on the black market.
In the Philippines, a Twitter user showed six iPhones that were unlocked

The hackers claim the project has been a huge success. Earlier today, they posted screenshots of server logs claiming 5,700 devices had been unlocked in just five minutes. Later, they claimed another 10,000 devices had been unlocked. The two hackers say they worked on the exploit for five months and contacted Apple in March.

i buy apps that i use everyday

but why am i gonna spend £5 /£10 on a app or game that i use once in a blue moon.

/

Apple must have heaved a great sigh of relief when it heard its Christmas wish had been answered — Installous, the jailbroken iOS app pirating service from the Hackulous community, 
. But not so fast, Apple. Now anyone can install pirated apps, and without having to jailbreak too. Uh oh.

The old adage is holding true. Where one pirate bites the dust, two more grow to take its place. The problem for Apple this time round is that both the Zeusmos and Kuaiyong services allow one-tap, instant installs of pirated apps on any iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. No jailbreak is required; just install the apps directly on your iOS device of choice. One has the gall to charge you for an installer app, unless you’re jailbroken — yep, charging you to install pirated apps you could just have bought in the first place — while one just installs from a web app.

, one of the services’ developers, a 15-year-old thorn in Apple’s side, says that it’s actually just a way to allow homebrew apps without having to fork out for a yearly Apple developer account. But let’s not kid ourselves here; this is piracy straight up and simple. Apple better get its act in gear because piracy via jailbreak is one thing, but piracy without having to root the system — that’s something Apple should definitely have its knickers in a twist over. [
]

How long did this last? Shows how long ago I stopped reading this thread/my iphone hype died.

/

Only came across this cos I was looking for a specific post.

Faze or someone else - what's the make of those thin screen protector like cases?

I remember them being mentioned a few years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

O2 did mine in 3 hours

Safe for that

I've been on 7.0.4 for the longest

------------------------------

I want to back up and delete all the media from my phone

I've got no space to take any photos or videos. My icloud is full and keeps telling me my devices have not been backed up for weeks. Is iTunes the best way to go, or is there a 3rd party app that people reccomend for their iphone backups?

i just copped another 10gb from icloud.

its the videos that kill your space, 2min vids can be 300-400mb :o

/

i also use dropbox to auto sync all my videos and pics from my phone into the cloud.

Use iphoto to sync my media generally.

Thanks Faze.... Will give Dropbox a spin. Long overdue giving that program a try tbh.

My iCloud has 25GB Storage, with 0 bytes available

Just checked the Summary of crap I have on my phone that I hoard and refuse to delete for some reason:

Songs: 175

Videos: 72

Photos: 9174

Applications: 157

Capacity: 27.5 GB

Available: 87MB

:rofl:

Surely i'm not the only media hoarder

what size is your phone?

i remove my vids after theyve synced because they take up way too much room

17min vid :o

can't you just reencode your stuff to a higher compression?

anyone know what app I should use, if i downloaded some marvel comics on torrents also how would I get them to work.

thanks