Office Politics..

Ephren Taylor

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stop lying to me, do not tell me you've worked retaillol @ anyone that doesn't wear a tie being anything other than the send out youti can see it nowtryna go on like i'm the same level as them, or 'commanded authority'actually i remember one guy that was working with us at this placemy man tried to gwarn like he had a tie alsothe way he didn't even get to see his x-mas contract throughjokes tbhjust lol

Maintaining some air of professionalism.Having responsibilities which go further than restocking shelves and clearing the fitting rooms.Being in an environment which isn't dominated by part time students, fresh of the boat immigrants, and failures.Comeon man.Retail is and always has been peoples first taste of employment. The transition from it to an officed based, or professional environment is immense. You cannot compare working 1 or 2 days a week in a shop to working 9-5 in traditional employment.

My response was to philosno contradictionEdit: Esprit, regent street, next to hamleys and next to levis. over a year.
lmfao I know one chick that works in there.exact same one as-wellfor real though stop frontingif the manager there asked you to go shop or to the bank or to sweep the shop-flooryou would not plain-face themdon't lieand i see what you're saying about he wouldn't ask you because you command yourself with some authoritybut tbh my manager would tell you to f*ck off with your authority, go to the shop or say goodbye to your staff discount, weekly paycheck and f*ck off.

The manager there wouldnt ask me to be honest.Becuase I was mates with him. He's now the levis manager next door.The other manager was a c*nt. But I was mates with the general managers nephew (Sean) who still works in there and is now the floor manager, so he had to hold it down and not give me any trouble.All about keeping the right people sweet.

Maintaining some air of professionalism.Having responsibilities which go further than restocking shelves and clearing the fitting rooms.Being in an environment which isn't dominated by part time students, fresh of the boat immigrants, and failures.Comeon man.Retail is and always has been peoples first taste of employment. The transition from it to an officed based, or professional environment is immense. You cannot compare working 1 or 2 days a week in a shop to working 9-5 in traditional employment.
people like you get me so vex, ive worked in retail for a few years now and you experiance alot, theres alot more to it than just "stacking shelves". also yea, it aint the most glamorous job ever but it is a job, and its something to be proud of. alot of people cant actually hack working in retail, becuase if things go wrong you face the consequences as you are working with customers so you experiance real problems. just because we aint in suit and ties sitting in an office dont mean we aint experiancing real work.im just shocked you can dismiss the whole retail industry like you have.

I'm not dismissing it.I worked in it, more than once.I am saying you cant compare it.What part of that do you disagree with?I dont wear a suit and tie in my current job, it's nothing to do with it, thats superficial.But lets put things in perspective, what's the worst thing that can happen with something you deal with that goes wrong?Who's the highest up employee you deal with?Do you ever face someone who isn't a customer? What power do they hold if so?If you make a wrong decision (do you even make any decisions), do you cost the company potentially millions?No, it's that level of responsibility which makes it different.Dont think I'm belittling your job, that's not my intention.But it's not comparable.

I'm not dismissing it.I worked in it, more than once.I am saying you cant compare it.What part of that do you disagree with?I dont wear a suit and tie in my current job, it's nothing to do with it, thats superficial.But lets put things in perspective, what's the worst thing that can happen with something you deal with that goes wrong?Who's the highest up employee you deal with?Do you ever face someone who isn't a customer? What power do they hold if so?If you make a wrong decision (do you even make any decisions), do you cost the company potentially millions?No, it's that level of responsibility which makes it different.Dont think I'm belittling your job, that's not my intention.But it's not comparable.
fairplay mate, i think ive completly misunderstood what you were sayin tbh so apologies for that.i aint a mug, i agree retail is probly one of the shittest jobs you can get into for the work you do and how much you get back and also there is always a threat over your job as their are lots of people who will happily take it so you are dispensible, it really is a huge burden tbh. what i was trying to say is that it is still a respectable job and you are experiancing true work. to answer your questionsworst thing would be, i lose our branch a few grand and lose my job. the highest up employee i deal with is my district manager and region manager.i come face to face, with district and region managers, who have alot of power over my branch and my jobif i f*ck up a decison i lose our branch a few grand and could cause my branch to get shut downbasically i agree with alot of what your saying, it just sounded like you were looking down on people who work in retail. i would love to get out of it, but while i work in it i will be proud of what i do.

Boy thread has got heated.We all start somewhere, Dan Early had an illegal paperound at the age of 12 to stack that £12 a week to spend on ciggarettes and my first tens of thai weed. Dun know I got headhunted by a competing newsagent for a similar route on £14 a week. It's aboutmaking urself valued... Dont think I werent coming in on weekends at crack of dawn to put the supplememnts in the sunday papers for my extra £2 a week and helpin myself to a mars drink. The figures are dumb but back then paper was.. I mean coin was coin.Retail HAS to be done at some point, my stint was in Sainsburys on the rassclart fruit and veg section graveyard shift, then some suitcase shop for below minimum wage. Its never suttin u shoudl aim to do for more than six months so you got suttin to put on ur CV before you take flight into the corporate world to earn some real p tho. AIM HIGH BROTHERS AND SISTERS.As for the birthday pizza ting, I woulda been cool with her from go. I make no enemies in work, never know when they can run u a favour. She woulda offered ME two slices before anyone else got a look in.

so are u sayin u make decisions that could cost millions? just curious..

As for the birthday pizza ting, I woulda been cool with her from go. I make no enemies in work, never know when they can run u a favour. She woulda offered ME two slices before anyone else got a look in.
I went over and made some polite convo.. she's actually alright. She's quite a bit older than me, so we've never really had anything to conversate about before, but turns out one of her sons is into 'that noisy stuff we call hip hop etc.. I spat a couple of bars about how I got my mum into hip hop by blasting it 24/7.. got the lolIt was in vain though.. by the time I got there, the pizza had been gazing for time so it looked deadout..still... investment for nex time I guess...new acquaintances >>>>card didnt get signed though... only random leaving cards get the treatment

As for the birthday pizza ting, I woulda been cool with her from go. I make no enemies in work, never know when they can run u a favour. She woulda offered ME two slices before anyone else got a look in.
I went over and made some polite convo.. she's actually alright. She's quite a bit older than me, so we've never really had anything to conversate about before, but turns out one of her sons is into 'that noisy stuff we call hip hop etc.. I spat a couple of bars about how I got my mum into hip hop by blasting it 24/7.. got the lolIt was in vain though.. by the time I got there, the pizza had been gazing for time so it looked deadout..still... investment for nex time I guess...new acquaintances >>>>card didnt get signed though... only random leaving cards get the treatment
always next year