Underground Urban to Brit-Pop??

Tirunih

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imo, the crossovers are so controversal because its the motives behind the shift that make ppl uneasyLike tinchy, where are ruff squad, havent seen them buss a single 8 bar on any 'mainstream' tune he has done which i feel shows he has lost a significant degree of personal power over what he is bringing to the tableSo what is his motivation?When a crossover is on someones own accord and is a truely genuine one for real, rooted self-expression, and someone used the example of Bob marleys split from the Wailers, the respect they command goes without question or doubt

fair playI wouldnt know that cuz all im exposed to is dappy chipmunk and co for the most partIts not like em did with d12Or busta and flipmodeOr the so solid crew unityBut if u say hes bringing them in then thats goodI feel Nathen could of had more longevity also, but meh, every factory product has its sell by date

Tbf all im getting at is the music they make, is actually sh*tThey are making money its fine, and I'm not going to...'hate on' anyoneBut trusay im not going to rate anyone either for going into the studio and making that tripeIMO its not that Dappy has skill (what does he actually do, serious question? does he produce aswell as rap?)Its that the level of music is so poor that hetinchychipmunketccan all get #1sTbh to me that isn't an indication that 'urban' music is on the upits an indication that 13 y/o kids still rule who comes first in the chartsTbh I agree with Kurious (though I only read the first line) the music is just sh*t, tbh Im getting to be a grown man now maybe its that im growing up but I just laugh when I hear this stuffBut then the other 'genere's of british pop music are also shite, so what can you expect, except indie/rock stuff which seems (although I suppose indie fans may disagree) to be at a pretty consistant levelEdit>To sum up what I meanThere is a difference between making something that will selland making something that is good musicI will only ever rate you for doing one of thsoe things, and its likely if you get it right, you will acheive the other.

Guest Esquilax

Are any of you aware of the 'passive massive'?It's a phenomenon where people will buy something simply because of what it is, and not its quality.Take Cherly Cole's 'Fight For This Love' for instance, when it came out how many reviews/ members of the public were like "LOL WTF IS THAT sh*t. THAT'S AWFUL."Now who is at number one in the charts with album and single?Same thing happens with the Christmas number one and X Factor winners n sh*t, Alexandra Burke, while I concede she has a degree of talent, her rendition of Hallelujah was nowhere near the quality/ power of Jeff Buckley's version, which resulted in alot of people going 'nah im not having this obviously inferior song go to number one' and tried to 'fight back' as it were, but they still lost, cuz people will buy Alexandras cuz she won the X Factor, not because she made a better song.I get Briscos point about these breahs not being talentless, they must have something, of course, but I think it lies more with the public, who don't actually really know what they're doing sometimes.

what is the job exactlyMusic used to stir emotion in ppl and create a burning sensation in the core centre of our very beingSome music had healing power evenHow and when did we as consumers stray from THAT being the public demandHow did we go from Billie Holiday to Leona Lewis?If we are the market, then we hold the power to decide whats hot and what isntBut we are far too easily satisfied with all this snap crackle pop ppl are spoutingPpl will say a tune is sheg, but drop the hardest skanks in a shoobz when they hear it because they are hollow inside and seek validation from a mindless and artificial social mass'c'mon baby light my fire'
I cant stand when people say this. Its so distorted its a joke. Admittedly you did have music which did do the above getting love, but every generation had its fair share of cheese who girls loved, not for substance, more because they fancied them and it was easily digestible music.More than anything, times have changed. People complain at the Royal Mail posties for making a stand because it inconveniences private sector workers. We dont care for them. Likewise, people dont really want message in their music hence why we sing along to Pop Champagne and Blame It on The Alcohol and listen to punchlines rather than actual content. It also has become more image oriented, but that comes with the video era. Back then it was just radio. I know you listen to it so you could compare it to how reggae/bashment is. Women like Lady Saw and Tanya Stephens would have never made it over here. Sanchez, Beres, Tarrus and dem man arent considered sex symbols but look at their popularity. That's why a good voice alone isnt good enough.NDubz have got good content believe it or not. They are great at what they do, they represent their demographic in subject matter making them easily to relate to. Dappy creates infectious hooks and they all execute their concepts well. They were DIY, dropped by their first label and still went on to move a platinum album.Not so long ago Will Smith was the sh*t for hip hop. Before him Vanilla Ice, LL Cool J, MC Hammer. After him Ja Rule & Nelly . Look at how it has gone from that to Jeezy, Rick Ross, TI

Guest Esquilax
Did The Beatles have a message in their music? Did it stir emotion? That was my point. It doesnt do f*ck all for me but maybe I'm alone on that
Rass...Null and void tbh.

Did The Beatles have a message in their music? Did it stir emotion? That was my point. It doesnt do f*ck all for me but maybe I'm alone on that
Rass...Null and void tbh.
Recommend me some songs that do then. Genuine request. SafeBut either way, it was taken out of the text as I knew someone would take offence and miss the point. Guess that didnt work lol.

the end of itMusic is propoganda so i just start questioning from when it moved from conciousness to zombificationAnd ur wrong, there are a few minority that still crave that content in their music, its just having guts to say, im not guna endorse that mess in any way shape or formBack in the day, when timberlands 'ayo technology came on in a dance, id sit down straight away, as Esqui said, its the masses that have the final say, if they dont eat whats being fed to them alie the chef has to go back and season the meat

Guest Esquilax

download loads of their sh*t and then listen, the beatles had the biggest cultural impact of any band in history, they affected millions of people emotionally, and in their latter years as a band they did have many messages, they were a truly revolutionary and innovative set of musicians

Guest Esquilax
the end of itMusic is propoganda so i just start questioning from when it moved from conciousness to zombificationAnd ur wrong, there are a few minority that still crave that content in their music, its just having guts to say, im not guna endorse that mess in any way shape or formBack in the day, when timberlands 'ayo technology came on in a dance, id sit down straight away, as Esqui said, its the masses that have the final say, if they dont eat whats being fed to them alie the chef has to go back and season the meat
music is not propaganda, while i appreciate your support of my commentyes, people crave content and feeling in their music, that much is certain, but imagine a world where all music had to have a degree of emotional signifance? i think its great that you get some tunes that just sound nice and dont necessarily have to mean anything at all

if he doesnt like the beatles he doesnt like them....however LOL AT THAT OPINION TBH
At mine? That wasnt even my opinion per se, more how I see what pop music buying seem to like NOT general music lovers. As far as Beatles, I dont get them, doubt I ever will. As stated before I erased it from my post because it would detract.