Premier League ponders CL playoff place play-off

Mr. Gayle

It would make it very exciting, look at the playoffs in the Championship.

The CL is a joke now, only the knockouts are really good.

And the whole "whats a 7th place team doing in CL" the same could be said about a team finishing 4th some 20 - 25 behind the Champions, but still getting far in the Champions league.

Im sure if this goes thru then ppl will just get used it just like we did for 3rd and 4th

Dont agree with a single thing he said tbh

i think its just all tabloid bullshit written by people who dont even watch the footbal they talk aboutl that say the CL group stages are rubbish. Just look at Liverpools group for example this season.

Also if there was a play off say this season liverpool would win it and if there was one last season Arsenal would of won it, its just a waste and these same people who say this is a good idea now will be saying its a sh*t idea when the likes of City and Everton come fourth but lose in the CL play off final at wembley to 7th placed Arsenal or Manchester United.

Its just ridiculous to have a play off for fouth position.

i think its just all tabloid bullshit written by people who dont even watch the footbal they talk aboutl that say the CL group stages are rubbish. Just look at Liverpools group for example this season.

Also if there was a play off say this season liverpool would win it and if there was one last season Arsenal would of won it, its just a waste and these same people who say this is a good idea now will be saying its a sh*t idea when the likes of City and Everton come fourth but lose in the CL play off final at wembley to 7th placed Arsenal or Manchester United.

Exactly, I don't know why people put the rose tinted glasses on and get all nostalgic when talking about the CL. The CL has been sick over the past few years, I don't know how anyone can look at some of the drama and excitement we've had over the past few years and say it's a joke/crap/worse

Exactly, I don't know why people put the rose tinted glasses on and get all nostalgic when talking about the CL. The CL has been sick over the past few years, I don't know how anyone can look at some of the drama and excitement we've had over the past few years and say it's a joke/crap/worse

eXACTLY.

to be honest the bit i was agrreing with was

And the whole "whats a 7th place team doing in CL" the same could be said about a team finishing 4th some 20 - 25 behind the Champions, but still getting far in the Champions league.

Im sure if this goes thru then ppl will just get used it just like we did for 3rd and 4th

but its a fact that alot of people enjoy straight knockouts a lot more than the present format its a matter of oppinion and can be relevent one season then maybe not the next.

and just a question, could someone explain to me whats wrong with getting Nostalgic about somthing with a history like the CL has and has undergone a few changes over the last 10 years

watch the arsen wenger interview on ssn why it will be sh*t he said say if a team qualifys with 4-5 games left and cant win the league they will feild weak teams and say they play a team fighting relegation it makes the job easier if they r playing a weakened qualified team

what happens if the tem 5th in the league actually wins the champions league?

what happens then when will the dates for the play offs be set? the whole thing is some red eye jelousy ting only two teams who actually tried in the top

for the past 10 years were newcastle who could not hold it up for long and everton who could not even qualify

it will be an embarresment to english football to watch aston villa in champos legue playing APOEL fighting for a europa cup spot thats even if they could win in the qualifers (thought we saw the end of that in 1995 with blackburns joke campaighn)

get there on merit

what they gonna come up with the next the top 4 should start with deducted points

Arsène Wenger has serious doubts over proposals to introduce a play-off for England's fourth Champions League place.

At present, the top four finishers in the Premier League enter Europe's premier competition. However, if 14 of England's 20 top-flight clubs can reach a consensus, the teams who finish from fourth to seventh could compete for the final berth via a mini-tournament.

Any change would not come into force for three years as the next TV rights deal is already in place, but Wenger would rather the idea never saw the light of day. He explained why before heading to Porto for the first leg of Arsenal's Champions League tie.

"It's an idea, I don't know who brought that up, but I think when you are fourth in the League after 38 games, you do not want necessarily to battle with the team that finished 10 points behind you," he said.

"That's why the table is there - to justify why teams qualify and why they don't qualify. I am not a big fan of the idea but I do not make the decisions in the Premier League."

The play-off system is already used in the Championship with the top two winning automatic promotion to the Premier League while the next four teams battle it out for the final place. However, Wenger believes that a similar format in the top flight could damage the integrity of the Premier League.

"In the Championship it is to get up to the Premier League and I believe as well that it is a completely different problem," said the Arsenal manager.

"Imagine if the team is qualified already for example for the play-offs with five or seven games to go, they could completely disrupt the Premier League and influence the teams who qualify for the Europa League and the teams who go down.

"They know if they are fourth they cannot be eighth anymore and with five or six games to go they can rest all their players and disrupt the Premier League. I believe the League has to be organised in the way that everybody fights until the last game of the season."

Guest Tulse Hill

Arsène Wenger has serious doubts over proposals to introduce a play-off for England's fourth Champions League place.

At present, the top four finishers in the Premier League enter Europe's premier competition. However, if 14 of England's 20 top-flight clubs can reach a consensus, the teams who finish from fourth to seventh could compete for the final berth via a mini-tournament.

Any change would not come into force for three years as the next TV rights deal is already in place, but Wenger would rather the idea never saw the light of day. He explained why before heading to Porto for the first leg of Arsenal's Champions League tie.

"It's an idea, I don't know who brought that up, but I think when you are fourth in the League after 38 games, you do not want necessarily to battle with the team that finished 10 points behind you," he said.

"That's why the table is there - to justify why teams qualify and why they don't qualify. I am not a big fan of the idea but I do not make the decisions in the Premier League."

The play-off system is already used in the Championship with the top two winning automatic promotion to the Premier League while the next four teams battle it out for the final place. However, Wenger believes that a similar format in the top flight could damage the integrity of the Premier League.

"In the Championship it is to get up to the Premier League and I believe as well that it is a completely different problem," said the Arsenal manager.

"Imagine if the team is qualified already for example for the play-offs with five or seven games to go, they could completely disrupt the Premier League and influence the teams who qualify for the Europa League and the teams who go down.

"They know if they are fourth they cannot be eighth anymore and with five or six games to go they can rest all their players and disrupt the Premier League. I believe the League has to be organised in the way that everybody fights until the last game of the season."

yOU TALK sh*t YOU SPASTIC c*nt

• 3 weeks later...

Premier League rejects fourth-place play-offs idea

The Premier League has revealed it will not pursue the idea of a play-off for fourth place and the final Champions League spot.

At the Premier League's board meeting on Thursday, chairmen decided against looking into the proposal any further at this stage.

Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal were reportedly quick to voice their opposition.

However, other clubs were keen on the idea in principle.