Rihanna

DAT_YOUT_FROM_E15

Classic is subjective. 

To me a classic album is simply defined as one that's pretty much listenable from beginning to end with no more than one track skip.

also IMO, there cant be a universal classic

tastes vary so much

im pretty sure an album i consider a classic (Bullet For My Valentine - Scream Aim FIre) would only get cosigned by a few people on here

go somewhere else and id be getting high 5'd and poontang

What?

There can be universal classics, it doesn't matter about your individual preference, if you said Illmatic is a shite album, still doesn't stop it from being classic based on Impact, Influence on other rappers, and its lyricism.

that doesnt really makes sense though

who decides?

the one i mentioned IMO is a classic to some people, NME gave illmatic 9/10, scream aim fire got 8/10

but if i asked you would you think the same?

Rihanna's gone clear

'Birthday Cake' was a 1min 18 second long interlude that had no video and it still picked up a gold plaque and the remix picked up a platinum plaque.

She may not be the greatest singer or song writer and people can compare her to as many old and current artists as they want but the fact is she's released and featured on enough classic hits in the last 10 years to have a place in music history.

that says more about the current music industry than her ability

I hear that but the music industry promotes what sells. So the people that aren't supporting better singers than Rihanna are just as bad as the people that are supporting her.

• Upvote 1

I hear that but the music industry promotes what sells. So the people that aren't supporting better singers than Rihanna are just as bad as the people that are supporting her.

:!:

see i always think a little left

is it that people plain arent supporting "better" artists, or do better artists just not have anywhere near as many fans?

like say if they had th same promotion and marketing, would they sell as much?

is that a wierd thought?

With the same exposure there are artists out there who could do silly numbers.

Adele is the prime example, she sells nothing but her voice and has done album numbers Rihanna can only dream of.

Compare Rihanna's highest selling album worldwide, Good girl gone bad, 7mill.

Adele's 1st album did 6.5 Worldwide.

2nd album did 24.5mill Worldwide.

Guest Diddybob

Classic is subjective. 

To me a classic album is simply defined as one that's pretty much listenable from beginning to end with no more than one track skip.

also IMO, there cant be a universal classic

tastes vary so much

im pretty sure an album i consider a classic (Bullet For My Valentine - Scream Aim FIre) would only get cosigned by a few people on here

go somewhere else and id be getting high 5'd and poontang

What?

There can be universal classics, it doesn't matter about your individual preference, if you said Illmatic is a shite album, still doesn't stop it from being classic based on Impact, Influence on other rappers, and its lyricism.

that doesnt really makes sense though

who decides?

the one i mentioned IMO is a classic to some people, NME gave illmatic 9/10, scream aim fire got 8/10

but if i asked you would you think the same?

The point is, even if you were here saying Illmatic wasn't a classic rap album, it still wouldn't take away the fact that its a classic rap album. Your one opinion doesn't take away from the albums impact and influence and its sanctity in hip Hop circles. I don't sit here and bump 'It Takes A Nation' all day but i would be a fool to deny that it is a classic, same thing with SrgtPepper by The Beatles these albums are definitive classics!

I hear that but the music industry promotes what sells. 

Sometimes create the environments and cultures around the music they want artists to sell like giving rappers advances and getting them cars and chains so they are seen on road, in clubs, videos looking a certain way.

The people at the top of these labels all have links to the media etc, just one big group at the top. Dumbing people down.

Luckily the rare artists like Kendrick Lamar and J.Cole can break through the walls and still shift a high amount of records.

Guest Diddybob

so why aint Rihanna made classics if people say shes made classics?

You can't name me a Rihanna album as critically acclaimed or as influential as It Takes A Nation, Control, Thriller etc, those are classics,  regardless of your or my opinion, Rated R doesn't come close mate.