Students face unlimited fees

Mr Q

I dunno bout other countries but im aware that ghanaian and nigerians are under immense pressure to go uni - this was one factor as to why i went uni - if i didnt too much noise and shame brought unto the fam.

/

these days amaongst black ppl - uni as seen as just the thing to progress unto - like college.

anyone thats says they aint going uni is looked down upon, these rises in fees will eliminate those u go uni - just because u can.

C/S the pressure to go uni. It's not good.

some of the arguments here are scary. but reflect the culture of this country i guess.

to say university isnt for everybody based on finance is just terrible. some i never achieved it so no one else should mentality, or a noble high horse attitude.

Universities i reckon SHOULD be allowed to charge higher, but there should be many more avenues other than through student loans to pay for your education.

Medical students in the US come out with up to $100,000 in debt. But they can pay this off at a small interest rate (based on income) within 10 yrs, and their avg earning potential is $200,000/pa. so they arent crazily concerned about fees, bcos there's also lots of scholarships available.

The best universities in the US have scholarships for all ranges of students, and there are also tens of thousands of ways American students can pay for their education at any other university, so uni's charging $20,000 a year is NOT the issue people over here should be talking about, which is what i keep hearing NUS people moan about.

the real issue should be that when the govt take something away, there should be other alternatives in place to take the place of that. maybe they will start to encourage endowment funds now, but to claim that moving the graduate salary to 21k/yr will make things easier is just stupid. As is the Avg Graduate salary isnt already 20/21k/ yr.

and i also agree that uni education would be cherished more when you appreciate the cost you pay,

strong post

I hope to god this doesn't run until I finish uni, I know for a fact this uni would charge something stupid... some guy I was talking to I goes what you gonna do in terms of money here? He goes my dad's gonna give me 15k every term to I quote these exact words.. "survive on"

:confused:

I'm pretty sure once you enroll they can only increase your yearly fee by the rate of inflation, my bro was at uni when it was £1k a year and I think the year after it went to £3k and he still only had to pay £1k for the next two years. Lucky mug.

lol at the argument that it isn't sustainable, swear they made a 2% cut to the corporation tax which is enough to cover the cuts to uni and the police force all at once.

They're just busy helping themselves tbh, less tax for corporations, higher fees for students and what ever else they decide to f*ck with. . .

lol at the argument that it isn't sustainable, swear they made a 2% cut to the corporation tax which is enough to cover the cuts to uni and the police force all at once.

They're just busy helping themselves tbh, less tax for corporations, higher fees for students and what ever else they decide to f*ck with. . .

Exactly, if they wanted to raise funds from the people who would be least affected they could.

The first time i watched this the figures left me speechless, perfectly feasible and warranted given how much of the tax payers money has been used to correct their mistakes.

Exactly, if they wanted to raise funds from the people who would be least affected they could.

The first time i watched this the figures left me speechless, perfectly feasible and warranted given how much of the tax payers money has been used to correct their mistakes.

This is a bit far fetched tbh.

This is a bit far fetched tbh.

Why?

Guest Triple XXX

think thats a great idea

except i dnt think it should be used on sh*t like climate change

first public services, then the budget deficit and all that

then if theres some left over i guess it could go to the climate change sh*t

bcos its not feasible in a "free" market economy.

I don't remember any bankers objecting when the "free" market economy model was amended for them to use the tax payers money when they f*cked up.

More than fair game in my opinion.

its not as simple as just playing to the popular tune of claiming the banks alone are to blame.

the number 1 export of the UK is financial services, accounting for more than 20% of the UK economy. if they failed, the UK failed so they had to be saved tbh. UK personal debt for 63 million people was equal to the US of 300m people... so not just the banks failed.

there's already stamp duty tax in place which is a tax on financial transactions, so a tax like this wont make so much of a difference as its being claimed. plus, the cost of banking will only be passed on to the consumers in the long run

C/S Carpe. Also had the "bankers" not been "bailed out" it would not have just been a localised suffering of high earning city workers. The system would have collapsed. Overdrafts, loans for cars, interest rates on mortgages, foreclosures (aka reposessions). The consequences of doing nothing dwarf it.

Having said that the company acting on behalf of the government that part nationalised rbs and co is already sitting on an 18%+ profit on it's "investment". Which in time can expect to be returned to the treasury coffers.

Edit: Beat me to it above.

but taxing banks for education or allowing tax breaks for university endowment funds is a way of funding the educational sector.

i used the US example earlier and thats why they have a robustly funded educational system, the Uni i went to do my masters in the US has an endowment fund that's more than all the redbrick UK universities combined. why? cos people will donate a pair of socks even to get some sort of tax break and claim it as a charitable donation to education.

that way universities can charge what their level of education demands, and allow those who can afford to pay...pay and those who cant, can apply for many types of scholarships.

taxing banks will just be one part of a good solution imo.

Universities in England face funding cuts of £4.2bn in the coming Spending Review, an e-mail leaked to the BBC News website suggests.

Universities UK head Professor Steve Smith wrote to vice-chancellors saying this week's Browne Review set out figures that "confirm our worst fears".

He says they signal cuts of £3.2bn from teaching and £1bn from research in next week's Spending Review.

The government said it could not comment.

Sorry, but if this is true, it is indefensible.

Fully trying to remove any burden of the state to higher education, what a f*ck*ng joke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11550619?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter