Graduate unemployment 'at a 17-year high'

Supermalt

the system is proper f*cked.

if i end up without a graduate job for a couple years then im just gonna go into business venutures. i cant sit and stay a slave to this sh*t, i wouldnt be able to take it. as it is i gotta keep finding ways to keep myself motivated towards staying on the "standard" career path. if i could have a successful business and f*ck off ever having to work for someone and fight for these jobs, it would actually give me a great satisfaction especially if i had no other choice lol.

its actually the ultimate par tho, to spend all that effort and money towards an education that doesnt get you a proper job. certain people must feel proper cheated and kicked in the teeth by the education system.

How many people in China do you think are doing events management? Coz I've met almost 10 people in the last couple months that are doing it at 3 different universities! Do you need to go to university to manage events?

Raising an over-educated generation just for the sake of doing adds unnecessary strain to the country's finances.

And I don't see what the basis of your scholarships is if it's not scores or test results.

This is the problem.

Universities trying to make as much money as possible selling these bullshit degrees and young people from all over the country misinformed about the realities of it all..

...International students in some of these uni's I feel even more sorry for. Paying over 10k a year on tuition alone and not even being able to speak English properly... joke ting

• Upvote 2

the "standard" path has always in my head been a way to move towards my own thing tbh, fund my own projects and whatnot

its always been this, the concept of ownership has been drilled into me.

\from when im hearing it may take YEARS for some to get a grad job its peak out here, or are we really asking for a bit too much in an over saturated job market

dunno what you lot are having such problems with tbh. are you doing degrees in music technology or something?

i've done 1 job interview already and another 2 where i'm waiting to confirm the date

not even meant as a boast, i can only assume you lot are doingitwrong.jpg

yeah but what had happend was....

yeah I dunno, guys can get jobs in the IT sector based on portfolio and programming languages can pretty much be learnt online so I guess that would accredit to it

annnnnyways..... I don't need to worry about that innit, bang bang Russel Group gang

Guest M12 Part 2

dunno what you lot are having such problems with tbh. are you doing degrees in music technology or something?

i've done 1 job interview already and another 2 where i'm waiting to confirm the date

not even meant as a boast, i can only assume you lot are doingitwrong.jpg

Lmao there is a difference between doing an interview and having a job son. As im sure you will soon find out

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What about them non skill degrees like business?

1) You're crazy if you think you don't gain skills from these degrees

2) You (and ppl) in general are kinda missing the point - it ain't always about WHAT you do, it's about HOW you do it, and what you gain from it.

I know a girl who did Town Planning who now earns a v healthy salary in a non-degree related job. She worked her ass off to get there.

Think transferrable skills.

Guest Awesome Kong

2) You (and ppl) in general are kinda missing the point - it ain't always about WHAT you do, it's about HOW you do it, and what you gain from it.

I know a girl who did Town Planning who now earns a v healthy salary in a non-degree related job. She worked her ass off to get there.

Not even speaking about transferrable skills because I'd say nearly every degree will give you that.

But with some degrees, you can get involved in other subjects (eg, physics to engineering, Engineering to investment etc etc). But business??? Just some retail manager skill really.

no with business u can go into management consultancy, risk management

marketing

strategic management

theres alot

the only problem with business is that too many people do it

But who is it a problem for?

If I were doing/had done business all I'd be concerned with is:

a) Working my ass off

b ) networking

c) understanding my specific employment market

d) working out and working on what distinguishes me from everyone else

Worrying/being bothered by other things that are out of one's own control are stifling.

Not even speaking about transferrable skills because I'd say nearly every degree will give you that.

But with some degrees, you can get involved in other subjects (eg, physics to engineering, Engineering to investment etc etc). But business??? Just some retail manager skill really.

engineering to investment? im sure thats not common, and whats more common for business leaders to have studied is business and economics related courses.

i did a business degree and a masters in it and im doing fine thanks. A degree in business is so much more than the bland business admin course you may know about. but i guess it depends on the university

engineering to investment? im sure thats not common, and whats more common for business leaders to have studied is business and economics related courses.

i did a business degree and a masters in it and im doing fine thanks. A degree in business is so much more than the bland business admin course you may know about. but i guess it depends on the university and the person

I know of engineering grads who work at banks/funds (if that's what he meant). It's defo not uncommon. The trend with many students now is: Study something you have a personal interest in > get a grad job in whatever makes the most money even if unrelated to degree. Not sure if it's ever been different actually.

Also, FYP. See bold.

engineering graduates are mostly recruited for analytical reasons, working on programs and data. not many are actually in the financial aspect, even though its still within investment banking.

yeah i just meant the "within" part

yilmaz with all these pearls of wisdom, why didn't you go to uni?

not clever enough

wait...u didn't go uni?

how can u beg the academic elitit like that...and with such a straight face?

wait i specifically remember u suggesting u went to a really good uni (as part of yur attempts to de-value another forum member).

lol i knew u weren't happy with yur personal achievements....but damm hommie