Weekend Football

Black.

Teams like Stoke, Blackburn, Bolton, Birmingham etc at home are a much harder test for the top teams in England, no question..Blackburn had a very good home record under Big Sam..La Liga is filled with teams like Wigan, very good on the eye, can beat you on their day but no backboneAlso dnt let Barca's performances in the group stages against sh*t opposition fool you, coz if you look at when Barca last won the European Cup n compare it to Man Utd over the ten years Utd won it twice just like Barca and reached a final, so they have a betta record..Lets not forget it took Athletico Madrid extra time to beat the mighty Fulham and Athletico were a top 4 side that qualifed for the CL that season but got killed off at the group stage by Chelsea n co

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Its mindsets, in Spain they all want to play like Barcelona and Madrid. No matter who they are.A few clubs here have tried the same but been caught out.The lower down the league you go here clubs tell themselves there is one way to play and thats "to compete", and tbh its the same way throughout the English leagues.The leagues are chalk and cheese the only comparsion is that two clubs here and there, win the league in the last 5 years, however our non top 2 progress further in Europe, which might tell its own story.What is f*cked is that Pellergrini is the Malaga manager, his last job was achieving record club number of league points for Real, and now he with some strugglers.

• Upvote 3

Its mindsets, in Spain they all want to play like Barcelona and Madrid. No matter who they are.A few clubs here have tried the same but been caught out.The lower down the league you go here clubs tell themselves there is one way to play and thats "to compete", and tbh its the same way throughout the English leagues.The leagues are chalk and cheese the only comparsion is that two clubs here and there, win the league in the last 5 years, however our non top 2 progress further in Europe, which might tell its own story.What is f*cked is that Pellergrini is the Malaga manager, his last job was achieving record club number of league points for Real, and now he with some strugglers.
:!:
  • Downvote 1

top 2 progress further in Europe, which might tell its own story.
thats because its consistently the same teams where as in spain it has been a number of clubs.... spains upper mid table sides have dominated uefa/europa in recent seasonsanelka talking about blackburn, stoke, birmingham at home etc....... in spain mallorca, bilbao, villareal and deportivo are just as difficult if not more difficult to beat at home.you have to also remember the bottom 3 in england spend more on transfers/wages then anyone else outside the top 2 in spain /malaga are now arab owned

top 2 progress further in Europe, which might tell its own story.
thats because its consistently the same teams where as in spain it has been a number of clubs.... spains upper mid table sides have dominated uefa/europa in recent seasonsanelka talking about blackburn, stoke, birmingham at home etc....... in spain mallorca, bilbao, villareal and deportivo are just as difficult if not more difficult to beat at home.you have to also remember the bottom 3 in england spend more on transfers/wages then anyone else outside the top 2 in spain /malaga are now arab owned
Don't Spain get the same number of teams as us in CL? Look Spurs are in the CL for the first time EVER. They have got further this year than Liverpool did last year, they made it thru to the groups while Sevilla didnt & Sevilla got knocked out by a team that came 3rd in our group and their first time in the CL too. Dominated? When Spain get all four through to the last 16 in CL... 3 into the semi's? Remember half the time our teams in the Europa par it off to finish higher in our competitive league.Ok Arab owned but still struggling.

A next thing that bothers me with the Spanish league is the way that if a small team are lucky to produce a very good player, he instantly goes to the top teams for very little money. Like Canales went Madrid for like 4m. A young highly rated Championship player costing more than 4m. Not saying the English transfer fees are right but it does seem at times like the league is pretty much just about Real and Barcelona.

how much have spurs spent in recent seasons ?i seem to remember sevilla doing well in there first CL seasonedit lol what annoys you about spanish league is what annoys me about englanda young english player does well for 5/6 games hes worth 10m.... does well for half a season hes worth 20mdont think that 4m wasnt reinvested in 6 playersplus imo la liga has more stars/talented players in the lesser sides then england

going back to what gayle was ayingwith barca/madrid still individually negotiaiting there tv rights it allows them to get alot more money than the other teams,whilst in england its done more fairly,e.g each team gets an amount depending on where they finishthe spanish clubs outside of barca/madrid therefore find it harder to compete than the english ones do against the top4then if u add in tht barca/madrid are prob the worlds biggest clubs, nd madrid have some different finance setupthey are always gonna be powerhouses in spain under the regime

Whats Spurs spending got to do with anything, expenditure doesnt indicate quality or else you wouldnt bother arguing quality of league as the Premier League spends the most money.
Thats exactly what im saying is look how much sides spend in the premier league yet it is always the same top 4.... now city/spurs taking pools place..... so thats 5 into 4in spain less is spent and its 7/8 into 4and the teams generally do well in Europe otherwise they wouldnt be up there with england on the co-efficients
going back to what gayle was ayingwith barca/madrid still individually negotiaiting there tv rights it allows them to get alot more money than the other teams,whilst in england its done more fairly,e.g each team gets an amount depending on where they finishthe spanish clubs outside of barca/madrid therefore find it harder to compete than the english ones do against the top4then if u add in tht barca/madrid are prob the worlds biggest clubs, nd madrid have some different finance setupthey are always gonna be powerhouses in spain under the regime
I hear that but dont 2 teams run england?doesnt every team finish in roughly the same position every season?i know the big 4 in england have been pushing for a la liga type tv dealback to the original point coz we have gone way offjust because barca/madrid are way ahead of the pack in spain it does not mean the league in spain is poor as the rest of the sides although might play a different style of football to the english sides are on the same level at the LEASTspurs,arsenal,united,chelsea,city would be there with sevilla, valncia, atletico and villareal rotating them CL positions
  • Upvote 1

IMO less money/equal money being spent in a league creates a fairer league tho (as we starting to see in England). Well fairer in certain tiers. The 3rd place team in Spain is already 10 points off the top team... We nearly at halfway point in the Prem and the 7th team is 8 points off the top team.Its 6 cos Liverpool arent out of it, and Everton have qualified before and stay around it. So really its 7.

were at lot closer in england to someone outside of man united/chelsea winning the league than they are in spainhowever overall i dont even think the spanish league is weaklike ice said i think there is a higher quality of players invidually in some of the lesser teams in spain than englandi dont watch spanish football to much but i dont think u really see teams doing what stoke do to get results when there is a big qualitty differenceand the current barca team is way ahead in terms of levels than chelsea/man u teamthis kind of barca team nd someone like messi dont come around to often, a barca of say 7 years ago wouldnt look so dominant

of course it is a lot closer in england and imo thats a bad thing i want to see the best football being played not the most competitive results..... if that was the case bundesliga>>ligue 1>>prem but its not the case and those leagues are nowhere near the premfew seasons ago spain had a 4 way fight for the title and england had united and chelsea going round for round but now the top 2 have stepped up in spain and moved away from the rest by miles whilst the big 2 in england have dropped into the pack and that pack hasnt gotten stronger just united/chelsea weaker/TF im sure la liga has had more teams in CL in recent years

• Downvote 1

/Another pub debate lol - Messi is great and does wonderful things HOWEVER the more and more la liga is poor people will start questioning - is he really as good as they say playing against sub standard players week in and week out. there will be a feeling that he hasn't completely proven himself as an all-time great. YETI don't think one good goal in a friendly negates the fact that the majority of his international career has been disappointing. He may not have regularly played in his exact club position, but it's not as if he's been asked to be a defensive midfielder. He's still deployed as a forward, Cristiano Ronaldo has managed to excel in various positions across the front-line for United, Portugal and Real (and has shone in both english and spanish domestic competitions).
I'm not gonna focus on the 1st point of your argument because we've addressed it to an extent. The La Liga defences are not necessarily worse than the English. It's a question of styles. People go on like he hasn't ripped English defences before. Just because he isn't gliding past 3 man every game, doesn't mean he's not being effective. Alright, he may not rape Utd in the same manner he did Arsenal, but when he drops deep, creates space & chances for others, he's just as effective. Look at the 2009 CL final, the El Classico, etc. You think he''s not capable of doing that against the likes of Stoke, Blackburn, Everton? :D And in MODERN international football, sh*t has changed. I'll go as far to say, we won't see a World Cup where one man actually CARRIES his team to the trophy in a long time. The game has evolved so much so, that the team has to be extremely on point tactically. He was in an Argentina team run by Diego Maradona, not Del Bosque or Hitzfield. Maradona left the likes of Zanetti, Cambiasso, Banega & Veron home. Players who would've aided Messi. The team wasn't built around him or to his strengths. And I'm talking as if I'm making excuses. f*ck the myths, Messi actually HAD a good WC performance.Don't even know why you brought CR7 up.

Its like this if we are honest...If we use the last 4-5 years...England has a top 2 so does Spain,If Barcelona and Real joined the Prem they would make a new top 4.Arsenal would be struggling behind them, Valencia wouldnt have needed to sell players, so them & Liverpool too, I guess.Then you'd have a bunch of teams from both leagues in the same tier, taking points of each other, taking points of the tier above them and losing points to the tier below them. Which group would be stronger I dont know, but I think it would probably be the English two (City & Spurs), then the next 2-3 in Spain, then Villa, Everton, etc... Whatever the order the point gap would be marginal.Then you'd get the final tier, which IMO its all about midsets. The Spanish ones would basically be a bit like this seasons Blackpool, getting brushed by the top tier, but taking a lot of points out of their tier as they want to win games more. Then the English lot, who would have a bigger point share from the tiers above them, but lower number of winners in the so called "6 pointers". So you'd find that it would likely be English clubs that get relegated.

• Upvote 1

but the rest below that I'd say are stronger in England.
you support villa course you would say that BUT.....if it was the case spanish sides wouldnt of europa league last 4 out of 7 seasons as thats the second tier competitionthink i kinda c/s TFs post about positionsanyways the premier leagues even pot has created less premier league winners then la ligas uneven one.....just united and arsenal...... chelsea and blackburn had sugar dadies