Bank Holiday Week 34 / CL Semis

Guest FA23

Jonathan Wilson

A good tactic is not necessarily a winning tactic, but one that manipulates the percentages. Jose Mourinho's first clasico in charge of Real Madrid ended in a 5-0 defeat; after Wednesday's 2-0 loss in the first leg of the semifinal, he will almost certainly not reach this season's Champions League final. But over the course of the season he has reduced the gulf between the sides, if not by imbuing Madrid with greater quality, then by making it harder for Barcelona to show its own. The methods he used may be distasteful, but their effectiveness cannot be doubted.Having created a poisonous atmosphere in which tackles flew in and every decision was disputed, though, Mourinho was hoist by his own petard. Was Pepe's foul on Dani Alves worthy of a straight red? Perhaps not, although the foot was high and the studs raised, but in the febrile conditions, a red card was always likely. What was strange then was Mourinho's reaction. It wasn't just that he was sent off -- an appalling dereliction when his side needed his leadership -- but that he seemingly made no effort to counter Barca's man advantage.It wasn't just that Pepe, who had done a superb job of neutralizing Xavi, wasn't there any more, although it was obvious how much greater the Barca playmaker's influence was after the red card; it was also that Xabi Alonso's role changed. Instead of sitting behind Pepe and Lassana Diarra, protecting the two centerbacks, he ended up playing in a line of four midfielders. That caused two problems. Firstly, it left space between the defense and the midfield, and secondly, it meant Barca was facing a line with a triangle. It is a basic axiom of tactical theory that a triangle will always beat a line; after a few minutes of increased Madrid tempo, Barca settled into its rhythm, and it was in that space in front of the back four that Messi found the space from which he began the run that led to the second goal.The first came from a cross from Ibrahim Afellay, whose introduction increased Barca's potency. In the first half, with Pedro cutting in from the flanks, it had struggled to find chinks in Madrid's armor, despite David Villa's efforts to stay wide. Afellay, as a more natural winger, changed the angle of attack, stretching Madrid, and pressuring Marcelo. In the hurly-burly of the game, the significance of his arrival will probably be overlooked, but bringing him on gave Barca's attack exactly the extra option it needed.He was certainly far more effective than Cristiano Ronaldo, who started as a center forward, spent 17 minutes in two spells on the right in the first half, presumably to try to expose Barca's leftback Carles Puyol, out of position and not fully fit, and moved permanently to the right in the second as Emmanuel Adebayor came on to play center forward, but did little other than belting free-kicks into the wall.The game may have been played on Mourinho's terms, but Barcelona was a deserving winner.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jonathan_wilson/04/27/cl.tactical.review/index.html#ixzz1KufW7f5a
  • Upvote 2

Thomas Vermaelen is set to face Manchester United - but not on Sunday.The Belgian centre back has not played since he damaged his Achilles during an international break last September but he will pull on an Arsenal shirt once more when the second string travel to Old Trafford on Thursday evening.However Vermaelen will not line up against the same opponents in the Premier League this weekend and neither will Abou Diaby after he failed to shake off a calf strain."Vermaelen will play tonight for the Reserves but he will not play against Man United," confirmed Arsène Wenger at his pre-match press conference."Diaby is still out and everybody else is basically available."

Real's tactics were fine and they were on course for a late charge ala the Cup final. But that red card was perfect timing... :D I think it’s about time we just admit Barcelona are everything that is wrong with the modern game. From systematic diving, harassing of the referee, strange decisions going in their favour, pumping 10 year old kids full of drugs to become super-freaks (Messi), having a small squad yet being the best paid team of any sport in the world etc. I mean, where does it end? They are a hideous stain on the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Real's tactics were fine and they were on course for a late charge ala the Cup final. But that red card was perfect timing... :DI think it’s about time we just admit Barcelona are everything that is wrong with the modern game. From systematic diving, harassing of the referee, strange decisions going in their favour, pumping 10 year old kids full of drugs to become super-freaks (Messi), having a small squad yet being the best paid team of any sport in the world etc. I mean, where does it end? They are a hideous stain on the game.
This sentence in conjunction with your sig is f*ck*ng irony gold
  • Upvote 7

But anyway, f*ck Real Madrid the club of Franco. f*ck Jose Mourinho. The longer they spend 400 million plus and still can't beat Barca to anything important, the better the world is.
I will never understand why English supporters of English teams, feel they have an attachment to Barcelona, is it because Barca are portrayed as angels and Madrid devils?Barca also spend money their not peasents, Barca players are slimy little cunts who are no better than their Madrid counterparts, i don't give a f*ck about either team to be honest.
  • Upvote 2

But anyway, f*ck Real Madrid the club of Franco. f*ck Jose Mourinho. The longer they spend 400 million plus and still can't beat Barca to anything important, the better the world is.
I will never understand why English supporters of English teams, feel they have an attachment to Barcelona, is it because Barca are portrayed as angels and Madrid devils?Barca also spend money their not peasents, Barca players are slimy little cunts who are no better than their Madrid counterparts, i don't give a f*ck about either team to be honest.
I hate a lot of the Barca pricks from Dr. Xavi 'DNA expert' Hernandez to Dani Alves but I can't help but rate and admire the beautifal football they play aside all the bitch sh*t they always seem to do

at my neggersSAF>>>>>> Joseyes Jose has done well at a range of clubsbut whose to say SAF couldn't do the same, if he wasn't a disloyal rat, who burned bridges/ didn't care about his club/legacyThe fact that United have a real chance of doing the double with their current squads form tells u everything u need to know about what makes a great manager