Jack Wilshere

Guest luckstar

Arsène Wenger has urged Fabio Capello to "consider the consequences" of Jack Wilshere's dual England role this summer.The Arsenal midfielder has enjoyed a breakthrough season for club and country and made his 50th appearance of the campaign when Manchester United were beaten at Emirates Stadium last weekend. Wilshere has a busy summer ahead too: he has been named in the provisional England Under-21 squad for the European Championships in Denmark and is expected to receive a call-up for the senior side's Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland in June.The 19-year-old will not get a much-needed rest until after those internationals and, although Wenger will not stand in the way of Wilshere's England ambitions, he fears that the teenager's heavy workload this year could have a knock-on effort when England need him at Euro 2012."I would never say that [he should not play], first of all because I don't feel I have the right to do that," said Wenger. "I'm not English and I educate English players to play for their country, if they can. "But I would ask Fabio Capello to consider the consequences of a boy who is 19 years old who has played around 50 games at the end of the season, who has played for the first team and then a tournament on the back of it. "What will the consequences be for the next season? I don't know but I feel the youth system is there to promote the players to play in the top team."I can see it from [England Under-21 manager] Stuart Pearce's point of view. I called him and explained to him why I am against it and I told him as well that at the end of the day I would give him my honest opinion and I would respect the decision of the FA."Only the federation can master this decision and the federation has to act in a responsible way. You cannot ask Jack if he wants to play - do you really think he will say no? I don't think that's realistic. "I am happy that he wants to play every single game for his country. The question raised by him playing are the consequences for the country, for England."The counter-argument points out that Germany's World Cup performance in 2010 was not undermined by the fact that many of their players took part in an Under-21 tournament the previous year. But Wenger does not see it that way."I hear many times the comparisons with the German players that I find completely inaccurate," he said."First of all the German players when they went to the [under-21] tournament they had not played the number of games that Wilshere has played this season. "Secondly in Germany there is a massive winter break before the World Cup and that allows everybody to start after the break well rested, in February. So you cannot compare the two situations."http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-capello-must-consider-call-up-consequences-
Remember when they took Theo, damn what a waste.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has claimed that youth teams should be used for development and not for the prospect of winning trophies.The Scot appeared to be directing a criticism at the decision to select record signing Andy Carroll for the England Under 21 squad for the European Championship next month.The 22-year-old joined Liverpool for £35million in January, but has struggled with his fitness, despite putting in an excellent performance against Manchester City in April.But, despite now being a full international with two caps and a goal to his name, he was picked by Stuart Pearce to join a provisional 40-man squad for the tournament in Denmark.Dalglish distanced himself from a club-vs-country row and would not have anything to say until the final squad was announced, but he did share his opinions over the matter."For me, the benefit of having younger teams is to use them to get the best players into the full team - exactly the same way it is at club level as it is at international," he said."Andy has played a number of games for the younger teams, Under 21s and Under , and he has played for the full international team, so it has certainly served its purpose in his development."The important thing is not to win a competition, it is to get people progressing through it (the system)."To emphasise his point, Dalglish used the development of young full-backs Jack Robinson and John Flanagan, who have made an impression in the first team and have not been back with the youth side since.The team missed out on the chance to win their division, but drew 2-2 with Wolves on Friday, something Dalglish admits could have been different if the duo had been playing."Our youth team have just drawn 2-2 and finished second in their league when they had an opportunity to go first," he said."I suppose we'll get the blame because we have taken Flanagan and Robinson away from them."But for us that is more progress than what it would have been to have won the youth division they were in and got no players through."I don't see it being any different for anyone else."
The bold was what I was trying to explain to Hero Guy.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has claimed that youth teams should be used for development and not for the prospect of winning trophies.The Scot appeared to be directing a criticism at the decision to select record signing Andy Carroll for the England Under 21 squad for the European Championship next month.The 22-year-old joined Liverpool for £35million in January, but has struggled with his fitness, despite putting in an excellent performance against Manchester City in April.But, despite now being a full international with two caps and a goal to his name, he was picked by Stuart Pearce to join a provisional 40-man squad for the tournament in Denmark.Dalglish distanced himself from a club-vs-country row and would not have anything to say until the final squad was announced, but he did share his opinions over the matter."For me, the benefit of having younger teams is to use them to get the best players into the full team - exactly the same way it is at club level as it is at international," he said."Andy has played a number of games for the younger teams, Under 21s and Under , and he has played for the full international team, so it has certainly served its purpose in his development."The important thing is not to win a competition, it is to get people progressing through it (the system)."To emphasise his point, Dalglish used the development of young full-backs Jack Robinson and John Flanagan, who have made an impression in the first team and have not been back with the youth side since.The team missed out on the chance to win their division, but drew 2-2 with Wolves on Friday, something Dalglish admits could have been different if the duo had been playing."Our youth team have just drawn 2-2 and finished second in their league when they had an opportunity to go first," he said."I suppose we'll get the blame because we have taken Flanagan and Robinson away from them."But for us that is more progress than what it would have been to have won the youth division they were in and got no players through."I don't see it being any different for anyone else."
The bold was what I was trying to explain to Hero Guy.
I get what your saying, i've just stopped arguing because it was a agree with disagree thing. I know your points and they are valid. However I still think for Jacks develop its a good move.Its going to be good for Jack to be in that environment and that was my point. You talk about develop and this is my idea IF Jack goes. What can he gain from going ? mental strength, being a leader, solidification that he IS well past this level. Maybe if they win it he'll come back with a hunger for winning, a winning mentality because no one else in our team has that or has really experienced it with the club.
  • Downvote 1

He's an England senior, thats solidification enough. He wont prove sh*t, he's already tired. He might duppy a team in the first group game, but should England make it to the final, he'll probably disappoint.He's already compeitive, its already in him, and he's won youth trophies, this is the same ting, playing in medium size stadiums half full at best, an age group of seven years max (17-23), kmt, may as well play Emirates Cup, bigger fan base, bigger age group, and he'll win it :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest M12 Part 2

If Wilshere and Carroll are to be pulled out its a pisstake that nobody is letting Micah Richards off too. Arguably even have a case for Welbeck

Stuart Pearce has questioned why Arsenal did not rest Jack Wilshere during the Premier League run-in if there were concerns about him suffering burn-out.The teenager controversially withdrew from Pearce's squad for next month's European Under-21 Championship after he became convinced he was risking injury by extending what has already been a 53-game season.It represented a dramatic U-turn from the Gunners midfielder, who had repeatedly declared his intention to play at the finals in Denmark.It was also a major blow and an embarrassment for Pearce, who had been adamant when naming Wilshere in his 40-man provisional squad earlier this month that the 19-year-old would travel."One thing's for sure - Arsenal have not left him out of the side in the last six weeks of the season, even though the stats have said he's in red zone."Stuart Pearce Quotes of the weekWilshere changed his mind after being shown statistics by Arsenal's medical department which indicated he was becoming fatigued.But Pearce said: "I would say that every player at this stage of the season would be reasonably tired."I'm talking about Spanish internationals, who we have to face, Czech internationals, who we have to face."Across the board at the end of a long season, players are more susceptible maybe to injury."One thing's for sure - Arsenal have not left him out of the side in the last six weeks of the season, even though the stats have said he's in red zone."Pearce otherwise refused to be drawn into a club-versus-country row, rejecting the suggestion Wilshere had been frightened into pulling out by his club.Own mind"I think Jack's got his own mind," said the former England left-back, who also insisted he had not been angered or hurt by the teenager's U-turn.Pearce delayed naming his 23-man squad until after Sunday's final round of Premier League games, which saw Arsenal finish fourth, forcing them to play a qualifying round to get into the Champions League group stage.He played down the impact the Gunners' earlier start to next season might have had on Wilshere's decision."Arsene didn't want him to go full stop," he said, also insisting it would not upset him to see Wilshere play a full part in his club's summer tour of Asia."What he does with Arsenal next season is irrelevant to me."Andy Carroll was the other big-name absentee when Pearce announced his final 23 on Monday.The Liverpool striker was ruled out through injury but there have been question marks over his commitment to Under-21 football.Pearce was reluctant to speak at length on Carroll, saying only: "I've not got a problem with any of the players with the Under-21s."Pearce suffered another blow on Thursday when another player with senior experience, Micah Richards, withdrew from the squad due to a hamstring problem.Manchester City right-back Richards reportedly had been earmarked as captain.Too muchPearce said: "We felt it was too much of a risk to wheel him out, with the possibility of it breaking down again."It wouldn't be fair on another player that would be fully fit."He added: "He's a big member of the Under-21 party."He played in the final, obviously, two years ago. He'll be a big miss for us."For me, at this stage, it's all about the 23 that are fit, available and ready to come and contribute."Pearce confirmed he had decided upon Richards' replacement but would not announce it until the player himself had been informed.And despite the triple blow of being without Wilshere, Carroll and Richards, he refused to be downhearted about England's hopes in Denmark."The bulk of what we've done has probably been achieved with the likes of the squad as it stands at the moment," he said."It won't be too much of a problem to us. We've got a fantastic spirit within the camp."
Is this guy having a f*ck*ng laugh?

Jack Wilshere picks his spot for Arsenal, England and even Great BritainGunners' midfield dynamo prepares for Saturday's match against Switzerland and ponders another disappointing season at the Emirates Jack Wilshere is still 19 but already he radiates authority in an Arsenal side short on leadership. "One hundred per cent it will be a disaster if we don't win a trophy next season," he says. "We know that. The fans feel it. We feel it. We just need to win a trophy."Normally a manager would be straight on the phone to a teenager making such expectation-raising declarations, but Arsène Wenger must know his young English playmaker is right. As he prepared to join the England camp for Saturday's Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland at Wembley — scene of Barcelona's demolition of Manchester United over the weekend — Wilshere hummed with a kind of constructive frustration at the collapse across four fronts of Arsenal's campaign."We're a big club and we need to be winning trophies and we need to win them to keep our big players. Sooner rather than later," he said. By "big" names he must mean Cesc Fábregas, who is doubtless more homesick than ever for Catalonia. "He's our best player. In some of our games he has been our best player by a mile and we need to keep our best players if we want to win things. He's the club captain; he likes Arsenal. I'm sure he wants to be at Arsenal. I'm sure if they can reach an agreement then I'm sure he'll want to stay. He needs to stay."But after Saturday's Champions League final, the Camp Nou lure can hardly have faded? Wilshere says: "He's been over in England eight years but Barcelona is his home. It's hard for him so I can understand where he's coming from. But he's the Arsenal captain and he's been great this season and we hope he can be great next season."An obvious virtue in Wilshere's make-up is a lack of fear, in word and deed, and the kind of forthright language he brings to his analysis of Arsenal's six fallow years extends to the psychology of the team. He even pleads guilty to a charge of fragility. "Yeah, I think we are and some of our players would be the first to admit that. We've been too nice in defending. I've heard Bacary Sagna say this year we've been too nice and we have to be a bit more nasty, especially on set-pieces, because we've conceded too many goals from set-pieces."Pushing a good thought down a potentially controversial line, Wilshere also casts an envious look at what he sees as the political pressure other leading sides pile on match officials during games. "It's no use just [Robin] van Persie going because it looks like it's just him having a go at the ref. Man United are the best at it. They get round the referee."If you think this was an action-packed season for Wilshere, next year brings an even bigger array of tests, from ending Arsenal's drought to Euro 2012 with England, for whom he has added a freshness missing from Camp Isolation at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. As a summer of inquests and rebuilding opens at his club, Wilshere is grateful for Wenger's protective stance towards his players but thinks the team should stop hiding behind the manager's loyalty. "It's down to the players he puts on the pitch. He can't run on the pitch and perform instead of us." Why is Wenger so seldom critical of this Arsenal team? "Because he's a good manager he wants to protect his players. But we have to take responsibility."Wilshere has been press-ganged into a semi-midfield holding role for England by Fabio Capello, but will probably establish his fame as a more marauding presence. "My perfect formation would be 4‑3‑3 with one holding and then the two going forward. I would be one of the ones going forward. Like we played against Wales, with Scotty Parker holding and me and Frank Lampard [further forward]."The raised enthusiasm level of Capello's squad can be traced to the introduction of younger players who are free of the fatalism that afflicts the older generation. "It has been hard after the World Cup for England, when it wasn't good and everyone was getting on to them. It wouldn't be a nice place to be. With the last few results since the World Cup we've picked it up, and playing for your country is everyone's dream. It is certainly my dream. I've always wanted to do that. Every time I get in a provisional squad now, I am buzzing."To put on an England top is a dream. Other players feel just the same as I do, especially the younger players — and to play with the experienced players that have been there and done it is great."Saturday's masterclass from Barcelona sent English minds reeling back to the skills and creativity deficit. Among the players now pushing through, Wilshere is the one whose spiritual birthplace looks furthest from Hackney Marshes. "Obviously I look at [spain] and want to play like them because they're the best in the world and won the World Cup. That style of football is the way I like to play," he says. "Yeah, I look at them and want to learn from them."Definitely there are players [coming through]. Josh McEachran is a great player. I hope next year he can break into the England team, like I did this year. If there is one holding, and me and him there. He's still young, so am I, but that would be a good midfield for England.There are players like Ashley Young, and Theo Walcott at Arsenal. He's maturing really well. People say he didn't really find the final ball but this year he's been brilliant for us. He's popped up with some goals. There's Andy Carroll. There's [Jack] Rodwell, Adam Johnson, younger players like John Bostock who haven't really had their chance yet."This season's PFA young player of the year, Wilshere could even pack his 2012 summer with a place in the GB team at the London Olympics. "It's a long way away, but we'll see. If it comes up it's a once-in-lifetime opportunity." But surely Wenger would go loco? Wilshere smiles. "I know."

Similar interview but slight different quotes...

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere looks and sounds like Arsène Wenger's captain of the futureArsenal fans craving hope for the future need only listen to the words of Jack Wilshere, their tough, skilful midfielder.Wilshere not only plays a good game, he talks one too. The teenager looks and sounds like a future Arsenal captain, a leader.The Professional Footballers Association’s Young Player of the Year passionately defends Arsène Wenger and the squad, stressing how close Arsenal were to success this season, but acknowledges they need to toughen up, becoming a bit more streetwise.Sitting in an elegant hotel near London Colney, sipping coffee, Wilshere voices his desire to get his hands on a trophy. “Arsenal’s a big club and we need to be winning trophies and we need to win them to keep our big players, sooner rather than later,’’ he said.“A hundred per cent it will be a disaster if we don’t win a trophy next season. We know that. The fans feel it. We feel it. We just need to win a trophy.”Arsenal need a touch more steel, a few more authority figures to guide them through the stormy times. “We do miss a couple of shouters, but there are definitely some shouters in the dressing room,’’ said Wilshere. “There have been times at half-time when there have been arguments and we’ve come back out and won. We do miss a player like Patrick Vieira. But there are leaders at Arsenal, the experienced players like Robin [Van Persie].Thomas Vermaelen is back — that’s great. We’ve got Van Persie, Vermaelen, Cesc [Fabregas]. We probably need a few more big leaders to help us out.“People say Cesc doesn’t look like a captain, but he’s been great for me this season. I hear people say he’s not a good leader, but I think he’s a good leader. On the pitch he is always helping me. Off the pitch he has become a good friend.”He hopes the Catalan stays to lead Arsenal next season. “He’s been over in England eight years, but Barcelona is his home. It’s hard for him so I can understand where he’s coming from."But he’s the Arsenal captain and he’s been great this season and we hope he can be great next season.“In some of our games he has been our best player by a mile, and we need to keep our best players if we want to win things. He likes Arsenal, and I’m sure he wants to be at Arsenal. If they can reach an agreement then I’m sure he’ll want to stay. He needs to stay.”Arsenal will invest in some new recruits this summer, a period when the squad will take stock of how they deal with adversity, an issue this season.“When things were going well, we were good at that – all together. When it went wrong maybe our heads went a bit and we never got it back. There will be a lot of things going on in the summer to see where it wrong.”Wilshere believes Arsenal need to become “more aware and more aggressive on the pitch’’. Always mindful of showing respect to referees, Wilshere wants the players to get their point over to officials if they feel aggrieved.“Not so much keep going on at the ref, but just let them know,’’ he explains. “You see the players at Man United and they are great at it. They are round the ref.”As he reflects on the season, Wilshere can take pride in his own performances, and frustration at how the team fell away. “If nobody watched Arsenal play and saw they finished fourth with no trophies, then everyone would say it’s a bad season."But look at some of the games — you don’t beat Barcelona every week. So we can take some positives. We were so close against Birmingham to winning a trophy [the Carling Cup] and then we lost in the last minute.”He was unimpressed by Barry Ferguson for ruffling Laurent Koscielny’s hair after the French defender’s excruciating mix-up with Wojciech Szczesny.“That’s the last thing you want because Koscielny must have felt like I thought, that it was a bit unprofessional to ruffle his hair up. It was the worst way to lose and since then it just seems to have gone wrong.“We just need that one trophy and it’s going to change. We said before the Birmingham game that this could change our season if we win it and if we lose it. It changed it for us."We lost it and we went out the Champions League and it went downhill from there.’’Wilshere has strong support for Wenger. “The manager stuck with me and he gave me that chance and hopefully I’ve repaid him. Because he’s a good manager he wants to protect his players.But we have to take responsibility. We need to stay in the top four and push on for a trophy.’’His thoughts now turn to international matters. Today he trains with the England squad in preparation to face Switzerland on Saturday. Wilshere hopes Fabio Capello uses the system that worked so well against Wales.“My perfect formation would be 4-3-3 with one holding and then the two going forward. I would be one of the ones going forward – like we played with England against Wales with Scotty Parker holding and me and Frank Lampard.”He has great hope for England’s future. “Definitely there are players. Josh McEachran is a great player.I hope next year he can break into the England team, like I did this year. Theo Walcott’s maturing really well."People were saying he didn’t really find the final ball but this year he has been brilliant for us. He’s popped up with some goals.“There’s Jack Rodwell, Adam Johnson, younger players like John Bostock who haven’t really had their chance yet. In the England team, there’s Ashley Young, Theo, Andy Carroll, Adam Johnson, me.There are a lot of good young English players coming through, maybe a bit like the Spanish players.“Obviously I look at the Spanish and want to play like them because they’re the best in the world and won the World Cup. That style of football is the way I like to play.There are English players like Joe Cole and Ashley Young who can play that way.”Wilshere certainly can.

Guest Jetz

Jack Wilshere: cup of tea in bed...watching some Gossip Girl! does it get any better than this?Via Twitter.This guy should never be the captain of my club.

• Upvote 2