COD Talk

Lucarelli

No, cod made online fps popular with the casuals

with its generous reward/leveling up it made everyone feel like they were great

the game did nothing "ground breaking" or original, it just caught on with the casual crowd

these sort of online shooters have been on the pc since for the dawn of the internet

the battlefield series has bin out way longer than cod it also switched for ww2 setting to a "modern warfare" setting before cod yet these casuals liked to say battlefield is a rip off cod... going on like cod created the fps genre

get the f*ck outta here

cod4 and every other reincarnation of it are trash... not to say i dont enjoy them bcos i do... but ppl going on like these games are second coming of christ are clueless

and revolutionize online game? really? i dont think it did at all, explain to me what was "revolutionary" about it

Halo 3 was THEE online game at the time, I don't think they put it out with the intentions of surpassing halo in the online market. They got lucky, it caught on, the multiplayer options the game came with were standard for any fps.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

gotta say my first proper experience playing online games with counterstrike with my mates back in the day, original CS not source.

quake 3 arena was another sick game back in the day and UT

for all its faults COD is the only franchise that keeps me coming back year after year <_<

No, cod made online fps popular with the casuals

with its generous reward/leveling up it made everyone feel like they were great

the game did nothing "ground breaking" or original, it just caught on with the casual crowd

these sort of online shooters have been on the pc since for the dawn of the internet

the battlefield series has bin out way longer than cod it also switched for ww2 setting to a "modern warfare" setting before cod yet these casuals liked to say battlefield is a rip off cod... going on like cod created the fps genre

get the f*ck outta here

cod4 and every other reincarnation of it are trash... not to say i dont enjoy them bcos i do... but ppl going on like these games are second coming of christ are clueless

and revolutionize online game? really? i dont think it did at all, explain to me what was "revolutionary" about it

Halo 3 was THEE online game at the time, I don't think they put it out with the intentions of surpassing halo in the online market. They got lucky, it caught on, the multiplayer options the game came with were standard for any fps.

... Up until this generation online gaming on consoles was for the minority. You dont have to tell me about PC fps.. i was there. But there was a whole new generation of gamers that did not experience online gaming. The experience COD4 gave was not present on consoles before(or at least it was not available to as many people, more people have internet, consoles had network adapters built in etc). Why you think theres such animosity between PC gamers and console gamers? FPS was mouse and keyboard then came along all these people that only know about thumbsticks.

COD4 didnt make fps popular with the casuals, unless to you casuals are those that didnt play on PC. But then what about those who played online on ps2 or xbox? All them guys played COD4 aswell. It was only mw2 that made online fps popular with the casuals and thats because the game was aimed towards them. In the build up to mw2 people who knew nothing about gaming were talking about it.

I didnt explain it well. The actual game features were not all revolutionary, It was the whole package.It offered console gamers graphics, playability, fun, challenge(to some not all) community etc. ffs compare it to the other multiplatform console fps at the time? RB6V was a ps2 game in comparison (although it was still sick imo) what else was there F.E.A.R? thats about it.

The stuff about battlefield is rubbish and is exactly what i mentioned in my previous post. Good game + introduction to online gaming = gassed guys. I remember i tried to show one of my boys about Vegas 2, he picked up the controller, moved forward, held the r1 for a bit and said he didnt like it because its not like cod :huh:

Games like Halo and Resistance did have a big impact, but not as much as they are console exclusives, so youre either playing one or the other. Its no good me talking to an xbot about how many Chymera ive killed it means nothing. It caught on because it didnt matter what side you were on if someone came into school or work and said "f*ck*ng hell i got 3 choppers in a row last night on domination" every1 knew what it was about.

ok so what are you saying?? cod4 was for the hardcore then they sold out with mw2?

is that what your tryna to say?

also are you denying that halo 2 was the original online console shooter that for a long time was the only shooter that got played online for consoles??

are you also saying that cod4 developers made cod4 multiplayer with intentions of going up against halo 3, a franchise that everyone was familiar with and had a huge hype around and big emphasis on multiplayer? halo 3 also came out the same year

explain to me how cod4 is for the hardcore and mw2 is for the casuals? cos there the same game except the first has less features

the casuals are the guys that buy fifa, cod, and gta once a year (obviously not gta)

anywho my point is no matter which way you try to look at it the games are trash, and cod4 was not something special, its just good to you cos it was the first time you experienced the series/a online fps

again i love cod for what it is, which is mindless garbage

• Upvote 2

cod4 multiplayer was better because of the private lobbies we used to have rather than because the gameplay was better, although the over development of killstreaks exacerbated the camping problem in mw2.

i think ppl remember cod4 as being better because their enjoyment vs. their expectations was diff, no on knew what to expect with cod4, but with mw2 everyone was expecting cod4 x10.

cod4 is your first experience of crack... and you've bin chasing that first high ever since

and now the crack is cut with sponging, lag and RC f*ckIN XD CARS :angry:

all FPS historical debates aside cos i cant really join in on them things (i went from doom to goldeneye/perfect dark to time splitters to cod4 so i was blown away when i first experienced lag free online on that sorta level)

what i can say is

IMO

cod4 > mw2 + blops

Totally understand now, and this happens to me atleast once ever single game. Swear the f*ckers who use second chance have to take one more hit marker BEFORE they drop to their bitch stance and hammer the trigger of their pythons killing me.....

Side note: I know that's prob not true but it feels it to me and I'm sure you lot too

Guest Fat Eric

wolfenstien on the pc was the first time i played a fps with people online

i would love to play that game again. it was sick

but in all honesty it is probably sh*t

same for COD4. game is wack

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

why are people saying "remember cod 4" like You can't still play it?

newer cod games are more noob friendly, hence wider appeal ( killstreaks, one man army noobtubes, shotgun secondary, akimbo shotgun secondary, stupid perks )

i appreciate that on cod4 the emphasis is on accurately aiming at Your enemy and shooting them.

maps were way better as well

rarely saw campers last time i played cod4

playercard is a stupid gimmick

Guest Medic

Despite everything said about MW2, its still a fun game when you dont give a f*ck. Played Sabotage tonight for a couple hours and it was enjoyable, even though I got noobtubed a thousand times. I just laugh it off.