Wenger, Did The Opposition Just Catch Up?

Aquaman

I swear Bould still works at the club in some capacity

Surely he knows how to defend?

Bould is youth team coach

He's the youth team coach

We've had the most famous defensive units in recent memory and bar Steve Bould none of them are at the club

lol youth team coach you know

Should be regurgitating that real GG defensive training

Going church 2mo to pray for an assistant coach/defensive coach that challenges Wenger

Steve Bould does.

/

Wengers choice not to take it on board.

Bould has tried to tell/help Wenger. Wenger didn't want to know. This is fact.

man is literally creating his own problems.

The youth players really really let Arsene down, massively..

Could be down to their lack of desire to improve, coaching etc but u can see Wenger put his eggs into that one basket

The type of buys like Arteta & Yossi shudda been made when Cesc, Nasri, Pleb & Flamini etc were still here.. allow these types being 1st choce regulars

The most concerning thing about now is we have 1 outstanding young talent in Jack, 2 including thr GK, RVP is top class but the rest lol we do not have enough to build around, we need to get 4th then bring in quality 4-7 players

• Upvote 3

on whether he will bring in a defensive coach…

I just completed 32 years of coaching. I do not want to answer these types of questions.

:lol:

Where is it fact that Bould has tried to help. As far as I'm aware all the Arsenal old guard say I'm here if he needs me, he just needs to ask and the only person he has ever asked was Martin Keown.

At London Colney. Bould's tried. Fact as in truth, I have no quote for proof for you though.

I just completed 32 years of coaching. I do not want to answer these types of questions.

" You’d think in 32 years of coaching someone would have pointed out to him that this was an important part of the game, especially if the last 5 years have seen your defence become progressively worse. Especially if your team is conceding 2.8 goals a game in the league.

Trouble is, we know that it’s a dictatorship down at the Grove and anyone who comes in would have to have an opinion on how we play and Arsene Wenger is not a fan of being told he might have something wrong. Did anyone hear Pat Rice say he didn’t enjoy the responsibility of managing the side last week? Embarrassing. We begged to keep that

attitude on for a year."

Le Grove

The youth players really really let Arsene down, massively..

Could be down to their lack of desire to improve, coaching etc but u can see Wenger put his eggs into that one basket

The type of buys like Arteta & Yossi shudda been made when Cesc, Nasri, Pleb & Flamini etc were still here.. allow these types being 1st choce regulars

The most concerning thing about now is we have 1 outstanding young talent in Jack, 2 including thr GK, RVP is top class but the rest lol we do not have enough to build around, we need to get 4th then bring in quality 4-7 players

Anelka's best ever post tbh.

Where is it fact that Bould has tried to help. As far as I'm aware all the Arsenal old guard say I'm here if he needs me, he just needs to ask and the only person he has ever asked was Martin Keown.

At London Colney. Bould's tried. Fact as in truth, I have no quote for proof for you though.

It's Arsenal blog hype. Those that just want Arsenal to be more Arsenal. Sad thing is half these guys don't even watch the U18 team that Bould coaches... Loads of ex-players have suggested Bould but thats it.

Steve Bould is the U18 manager, and he gets on with his job.

Like Bob Wilson said Arsene would listen to him and the goalkeeper coaches opinions more than maybe the other coaches as by his own admission goalkeeping is his weakness, but even then thats all he does is listen. He is his own man. The notion that Bould chases him around the training ground saying lets do this and that is, nonsense. Steve Bould who was groomed by George Graham would not do this as he understands the chain of command within a football club and he wouldn't appreciate someone doing the same to him with his squad.

:lol:

He is so stubborn it's ridiculous.

I think he forgets that when he came to Arsenal the defence were already there, he didn't put that defence together.

He was lucky, he should admit it and ask for help because right now

QPR's defence >>>>>>>>>>>> Arsenal's defence

The problem isn't per say the defence or just the defenders (yes they are a problem), but its the whole team, they can't defend.

The Invincibles defence is and was Wenger's ideal. It was a defence that could defend FIRST and then play. Lauren was a bit questionable tho.

Wenger has not been able to find and keep a backline of the same level. Meanwhile he has tried to create some rebore Barcelona/total football team, that while are at times are very pleasing on the eye, they 1. Don't have a Lionel Messi and 2. have nowhere near the work ethic of Barcelona.

Watch the defensive play of van Persie, Arshavin, Ramsey, Walcott, Gervinho its piss poor, and when they do get back its like they don't know what a tackle is... They are all just statues for the opposition to pass or run past.

• Upvote 1

He put the Invincibles defence together, so that argument goes out the window.

The invincibles had an all round better team, more players in their peak aswell.

The word "peak" shouldn't be underestimated either.

With Viera and Gilberto in that form sitting infront?

Adams defence were more readers of the game, more natural defenders, relied less on pace.

You could put that Adams defence at the back of any team and they would be top 6.

You know this because they lasted so long as a back four, how many other back fours last that long together,

Not the Invincible back four.

Arsenal in that season were like Brazil 1970, better defence but defence isn't an issue when everything in front of them is on that level.

I hear you but the Graham back 5/6 was playing in a different Premier League era tho, no defence could win as many offside calls as they use too nowadays, Tony Adams was a world class defender but how many defences nowadays could be like them 5 & have no pace?

Don't get it twisted Wenger was itching to replace the Graham back 5 tho, but like always he sorted his attacking line first.

Arsenal will try again for Cahill predicts Bolton boss

Bolton manager Owen Coyle would not be surprised if Arsenal mounted another bid to sign star defender Gary Cahill during the January transfer window.

Cahill was at the centre of some irritation between the Gunners and Saturday's opponents Bolton last month after lodging what Coyle felt was a 'derisory' bid for the England international.

Despite a widespread expectation Cahill would eventually move on, when September arrived he remained at Bolton, and will be part of the squad Coyle takes to the Emirates Stadium this weekend.

However, it is by no means certain he will stay at the Reebok for the rest of the season.

With neither Arsenal, nor another potential suitor, Tottenham, looking comfortable at the back, Coyle realises further approaches can be anticipated.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they came back," he said. "Arsene has always said he is an admirer of Gary Cahill. But the clubs never agreed a fee."

It does provide Cahill with an additional incentive this weekend, although Coyle does not agree it is a question of proving Wenger wrong - more a case of emphasising the talent he already knows exists.

"Gary has nothing to prove," he said. "He is a top performer, who is set for a glittering career."

After developing a personal relationship close enough for Coyle to secure the services of Jack Wilshere during the early part of 2010, it did appear the Cahill saga had caused some tension between the Bolton boss and Wenger.

Coyle insists that assessment is not true. And he is adamant there will be no friction between the dugouts on Saturday at a time when Wenger is under more pressure than he has ever experienced at Arsenal.

"The only tension will be that we both want to win the game," he said.

"In fact, the criticism Arsene has received is absolutely ridiculous. He is one of the best managers in world football. Always has been. Always will be.

"The nature of the league we are in, with its global coverage, is that everybody has an opinion and sometimes there will be criticism."

What Coyle cannot understand is why Wenger is receiving so much stick when he is operating with a budget far smaller than the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea and has been responsible for producing football few would argue has been the best in the entire Premier League set-up.

"If someone asked me which team I wanted to go and watch, I would choose Arsenal," he said.

"The way they play football is so pleasing on the eye. They have unbelievable players. They have pace. They are dynamic. Free-flowing.

"The one gripe is that they are not winning trophies but they had a bit of bad luck with the Carling Cup last year.

"But sometimes people have to be careful what they wish for.

"Arsene Wenger is an outstanding manager. There is no doubt in my mind he and Arsenal are a perfect match."

After losing four games on the trot after an opening-day success at QPR, Bolton must get their season back on track quickly.

They received a major boost on Tuesday when Stuart Holden returned after a six-month absence in the Carling Cup win at Aston Villa.

However, the United States midfielder did not train today and Coyle is cautious about demanding too much, too soon from the 26-year-old.

"Stuart has come out of a tough game having been out for six months," said Coyle.

"We hope he is fit but we have to make sure we don't put him in a situation that is harmful."

It's Arsenal blog hype. Those that just want Arsenal to be more Arsenal. Sad thing is half these guys don't even watch the U18 team that Bould coaches... Loads of ex-players have suggested Bould but thats it.

Nah I'm talking about a family friend who has worked at the ground and training ground for years. That's how I know & the only reason why I mentioned it.