Love is Holywood......?

Badman

"In terms of interpersonal attraction, four forms of love have traditionally been distinguished, based on ancient Greek precedent: the love of kinship or familiarity (in Greek, storge), the love of friendship (philia), the love of sexual and/or romantic desire (eros), and self-emptying or divine love (agape)"

this makes sense to me

a 'a deep affectionate bond' is frivolous 

so the same way i would love my son is the same way i love my wife?

as complex as people are, i dont get how u would think love is so linear

define love

I think what doms trying to say is that the love is the same type it just might be stronger for your son but its still love the same love u have for your wife.

The reason why u don't see it as the same type of love is because your confusing it with lust you have for your wife which is an extra emotion you feel for her on top of the love, which funnily enough is exactly what is missing from op's work colleague's relationship lol.

To be honest I think people are going way too deep into what they believe the definition of love is and that was never my intention to focus on that when creating this thread

In saying that I think everybody's point is valid although and I have to agree with Timebomb that having kids does provide an insight into how complex love can be. But there are many other situations where this can happen and its usually when people find themselves in the most challenging situations.

Back to the point again lol

im more concerned about how for example my missus can watch a film and see romantic male in full effect sapping away and gassing up the place by showing girls with gifts and 'being romantic' Meanwhile shes looking at me and thinking - why cant I be like that guy, which automatically sets her expectations to something which is not feasible in real life. 

Consequently the same person that adopts these false expectations looses sight of what love truly is, then finally the real actions of love like long term commitment and dedication are overlooked 

IMO this is a contributing factor to why a lot of relationships tend not to last.

I know its more complex that that but people do tend to underestimate the influence of propaganda, lets face it thats basically what it is

The ironic thing is that its these Hollywood film stars that portray these romantic loving characters that have serious relationship problems IRL

so what hope is there for us?

Just an insight 

so the same way i would love my son is the same way i love my wife?

as complex as people are, i dont get how u would think love is so linear

define love

I think what doms trying to say is that the love is the same type it just might be stronger for your son but its still love the same love u have for your wife.

The reason why u don't see it as the same type of love is because your confusing it with lust you have for your wife which is an extra emotion you feel for her on top of the love, which funnily enough is exactly what is missing from op's work colleague's relationship lol.

Good on him, lust is a terrible thing to have

U can not know the feeling unless u have a child yourself, the love is indescribable, its like nothing u felt before, i still look at my daughter in amazement.

A love for a child is like a bond, its like a part of yourself. The love doesnt fade for ur child like it could with a gf/wife, u dont fall out of love with ur child. U fall in love with a person cos u really like their personality, u enjoy being with them, u want to stay with them, u want to share all ur life experiences with them, that is not the case with your child. The love for ur child is different. Can other parents back me up on this.

• Upvote 1

the love i feel for my daughter is most certainly different to any love i could feel for a woman.

init, dom crossing wires when the point is obvious 

'I don't think there is any real difference between family love and romantic love'. thats a lie mate.

yeah

when you  have romantic love and settle and form a family, whats that now? you gonna love your family in separate ways?

Doesn't matter, it can never be that family type of unconditional love.

You never grew with your partner, you were once strangers and worst comes to worst you will be strangers again.

Thats like saying Glutton makes you want to eat or greed makes you want to make money

Lust is usually associated with an uncontrollable feeling of sexual desire. It also makes you do things you normally wouldnt in order to satisfy your urges

im tired I dont know what im writing 

U can not know the feeling unless u have a child yourself, the love is indescribable, its like nothing u felt before, i still look at my daughter in amazement.

A love for a child is like a bond, its like a part of yourself. The love doesnt fade for ur child like it could with a gf/wife, u dont fall out of love with ur child. U fall in love with a person cos u really like their personality, u enjoy being with them, u want to stay with them, u want to share all ur life experiences with them, that is not the case with your child. The love for ur child is different. Can other parents back me up on this.

nah im not talking about falling in love, that isn't real. im talking about the love that two people who have been together for years have, when they are basically family.

You never grew with your partner, you were once strangers and worst comes to worst you will be strangers again.

families can fall out big time, just that it often takes a lot more to happen

/

Love is the same thing in all situations, whether it is 'unconditional' or not is irrelevant. There aren't different types of love, just different strengths. If your mum murdered your child for example, im sure your feeling towards her would change, therefore there is no such thing as unconditional love, just a very very strong love.

U can not know the feeling unless u have a child yourself, the love is indescribable, its like nothing u felt before, i still look at my daughter in amazement.

A cousin of mine who I'm really tight with became a father last week.

He told me pretty much everything you said word for word, when he first picked up his daughter he felt this indescribable love/bond which he has never felt before. Not even for his wife.

• Upvote 2

the love i feel for my daughter is most certainly different to any love i could feel for a woman.

init, dom crossing wires when the point is obvious 

'I don't think there is any real difference between family love and romantic love'. thats a lie mate.

yeah

when you  have romantic love and settle and form a family, whats that now? you gonna love your family in separate ways?

what?

you cant love your own family the same way you love you parents and siblings?

nah im not talking about falling in love, that isn't real. im talking about the love that two people who have been together for years have, when they are basically family.

>Doesn't matter, it can never be that family type of unconditional love.

families can fall out big time, just that it often takes a lot more to happen

I know, I didn't speak much to my dad for over 10 years, still loved him though.

Do I still love my ex? No.