Black = Ghetto?

Numero001

If I was one of those females you mentioned I'd take offence to being labelled 'baby mama' sounds sooo degrading and GHETTO.anyway as you were...
This irks me. Why does something black people say always get classed as GHETTO? I would make a topic but I know the brigade will bring it to a holt.That term is commonly used for the way black people name their kids, dress, talk and other things I cant remember right now. Fully on course for 2012, truss me
Related to the above post. Now, not only do I read this on net, I hear this on street. To me it's the "I'm not your average black" race trader that uses this term. Product of your society IMO, suckered into believing that black is bad, white is the proper way. For example, people telling me they dont spud 'cause its a yute ting, or those that cuss people wearing tracksuit using the "its ghetto" excuse. If the person feels comfortable doing it, why not? I've seen people drop tracksuit and it looking all wrong, and yes I did look at him like, "Rah, you sold it," but as I would do about any race. On the other hand, I've seen it dropped neat and people still say "nah I dont buss tracksuits that ghetto. Sidenote: thats not me saying that tracksuits are exclusive to black people, but in this example I am talking about black people who wear them. Attitude is a next thing. Like on a real, I think the lines are blurred between attitude and speaking up for yourself (outspoken). This next piece relates to a topic I was meant to make earlier but forgot. People consider me to be rude or have an attitude problem, but its not that at all. I have very good manners to those who show me manners. However, if I dont like you or something you did, I will (your gonna call it ghetto) "tell you about yourself."Whats the problem with that? Would you rather I act all fake like everythings blessy?Next thing, naming kids. Now if it's not a traditional name out of a name book or the Bible but is a stereotypically black name, it's ghetto. Why isnt it just black? Terms, "baby father sounds so ghetto. I prefer father of my child. Thats what white people say." I kid you not. When I heard that, my heart sunk for my fellow sistren. No one's saying speak with a mouth full of slang, or not carry yourself well 'cause that would be stupid. I get the feeling that certain things are just written off becuase they are not in line with whats considered, for arguement sake, "the correct way." My question is why is it ghetto and deemed bad, just not to your taste? Am I chatting sh*t? If so, please correct me 'cause I am thinking we're on course

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People seem to think there are certain things that make you black or white. I hate it when people say "oh hes trying to act black" because hes in to hip hop ahh f*ck off.Or hes acting white because he wants to do well for himself.People who say this sh*t make me... :angry: I do agree to an extent that some things that mainly associated with the black community are always portrayed as being ghetto, but that is more of an African-American thing IMO.

Now, not only do I read this on net, I hear this on street. To me it's the "I'm not your average black" race trader that uses this term. Product of your society IMO, suckered into believing that black is bad, white is the proper way.
Or maybe it's people who don't want race to define them as a person. It's an attempt to move away from perceived negative stereotypes not necesarily shun them just show that there is more than that to them. The baby mother thing is to an extent degrading, not just cause of the ghetto connotation (and there is one whether it's right or wrong) but because of the born out of wedlock therefore immoral or even loose stigma around it. From a sexist standpoint it also makes it seem as if the womans sole purpose is to push out babies.

I do agree to an extent that some things that mainly associated with the black community are always portrayed as being ghetto, but that is more of an African-American thing IMO.
This as well, sometimes I really do think african americans and over black people are an entirely different kettle of fish.

People seem to think there are certain things that make you black or white. I hate it when people say "oh hes trying to act black" because hes in to hip hop ahh f*ck off.Or hes acting white because he wants to do well for himself.People who say this sh*t make me... :angry: I do agree to an extent that some things that mainly associated with the black community are always portrayed as being ghetto, but that is more of an African-American thing IMO.
But with TV and what we get shown, there are nuff kids named after rappers and singers, or made up names, such as Danté and them.Scrap the American piece, 'cause spudding isnt American and I'm not sure if babyfather is either. That, to me, is more a Caribbean influence.My main point is people say "ergh thats ghetto," why not, "nah I dont like that you know" or something similar?

Agree with you people say this to me all the time.

black people are to blame. they are the ones who give themselves most of these labels, when it comes back to bite them they start to get vexed. the first person to say "im not your avg black man" i can bet anything WAS black. you hear people on radio and on road say, "yeah but black people dont_________ or do________" everything one black man does he automatically insists that all black men do this too, and this is used mostly in the negative sense. black people create their own stereotypes to fight amongst each other, other people pick up on this and remix them a bit and throw them back at you. fair play most of the time tbh.

Also who remembers that Chris Rock sketch i think it was him, where he talked about the culture within the african american community of how its cool to not know stuff. I think that is so true and you see it so much in school classrooms.

black people are to blame. they are the ones who give themselves most of these labels, when it comes back to bite them they start to get vexed. the first person to say "im not your avg black man" i can bet anything WAS black. you hear people on radio and on road say, "yeah but black people dont_________ or do________" everything one black man does he automatically insists that all black men do this too, and this is used mostly in the negative sense. black people create their own stereotypes to fight amongst each other, other people pick up on this and remix them a bit and throw them back at you. fair play most of the time tbh.
Don't want to get involved, but the majority of black people I know of see themselves like some sort of group more than a race.*leaves for the last time*

Guest David Braund
Also who remembers that Chris Rock sketch i think it was him, where he talked about the culture within the african american community of how its cool to not know stuff. I think that is so true and you see it so much in school classrooms.
indeed.."i can count... 1..2...5..7.. been countin these rocks all day beyyatch"

Now, not only do I read this on net, I hear this on street. To me it's the "I'm not your average black" race trader that uses this term. Product of your society IMO, suckered into believing that black is bad, white is the proper way.
Or maybe it's people who don't want race to define them as a person. It's an attempt to move away from perceived negative stereotypes not necesarily shun them just show that there is more than that to them. The baby mother thing is to an extent degrading, not just cause of the ghetto connotation (and there is one whether it's right or wrong) but because of the born out of wedlock therefore immoral or even loose stigma around it. From a sexist standpoint it also makes it seem as if the womans sole purpose is to push out babies.
You have a point there, but to me it's how you take it. I wouldnt take it to mean the sole purpose... but calling her who she is. If your not together, but you have a baby, who is she to you? To me it's something that the tag has become, not from where it came.If it's something you've grown up doing, how is it race defining you? Doesnt you surroundings come into play somewhere along the line? Genuine questions.Also, I wouldnt say its just a colour/race to me 'cause, in London for example, you have large groups of people originating from the same place, therefore it's more a culture that you've grown into. Its much easier to call it black 'cause there are a lot of similarities. Remember, nuff people are first and second gen here, so the English ting is not in us thaaaat much yet. Next generation will be different tings for obvious reasons, but I dont think its quite at the point to say race doesnt define.A lot of negative stereotypes arent even negative when you check it. Like I said, its people have been suckered. Thats also the problem 'cause during shunning things that black people are known for you lose part of your own identity. Nothing wrong with doing it out of choice, maybe down to surroundings, but many will do it to put up a false/forced image.If thats none sense I apologise. I banged it out while people were talking, plus I'm in a rush to leave. Hopefully you see the points I'm making lol. Any problems, I'll clear up when I get home.Safe

indeed.."i can count... 1..2...5..7.. been countin these rocks all day beyyatch"
Nah but this is the same all over the place, i had the piss taken out of me for about an hour after saying something looked like a courgette. "the f*ck's a courgette u batty? LOL" :/