Official Job Vacancies Thread

zeezee

hey do u have a degree or no?

nope but i have skills

THIS has got to be the sickest reply ever to the question asked. Will keep it in mind for future job interviews.

lol its true though, i rate the people who have worked hard for their degrees but i pesonally dont need a degree to have a sucessful well paid job

and i know quite a few people with degrees who are findin it hard to find decent employment atm, sometimes its about how much experience you have had.

^^depends on the field, but to an extent your right.

i know sumone who was working in the leisure industry since he was 15. he started part time and then just get gettin promotions until he was basically quite high up in a firm. he then went off to do a related degree even though he didnt really need to. point is though he got himself into a good position in that industry without a degree.

people take degrees though to widen oppourtunities and go into different things in the future if needs be.

^^depends on the field, but to an extent your right.

i know sumone who was working in the leisure industry since he was 15. he started part time and then just get gettin promotions until he was basically quite high up in a firm. he then went off to do a related degree even though he didnt really need to. point is though he got himself into a good position in that industry without a degree.

people take degrees though to widen oppourtunities and go into different things in the future if needs be.

true. don't get me wrong there is times where i think to myself, maybe i should of gone to uni, done a degree etc

this guy who works part at my work, doing a degree in enviromental health yet doesnt want a career relating to that, i said to him, why u doing a degree in that subject if your not even looking to pursue a career in it, he said its just something to do, it will look good etc

i understand what he is saying , but wouldnt it be wiser to opt for a subject that your looking to devlop a career in ? fair enough he will have a degree , but how will that help him if he is wanting a job in business o ? The employer will look and see ye he has a degree but not related to the job role he has applied for and also he has lack of experience, they would hire someone with the experience over him.

so ye i understand why people do degrees but i dont understand the people who do them in a field where they are not looking to pursue anything out of it , just so they can say, ye i have a degree.

^^^in most cases, ye thats a bit of a pointless thing to do a degree in a field you dont want to go. it is a waste of time and if their thinking it might be unique or different or will somehow help them get a job in business, finance or other sectors where they recruit from all kinds of backgrounds....well thats a pretty big risk imo.

that said though it does come down to what degree you do and where you do it. in cases where you have gone to a top uni &/or got a strong degree you definately have a good chance of going into other unrelated fields. a lot of the top employers actually look for that over relevant degrees sometimes (if they recruit across the board). obviously work experience plays a part; if you have that aswell then your probably more likely to get the job then someone with a related degree.

then you also have people who find out over time that the field isnt for them. its actually fairly common; people grow and change over time and sometimes what they were sure about a few years ago might not be the case for them at the end of the degree. also considering the majority of people are around 18 going into uni, i dont think that most people can safely decide what they want to do with the rest of their lives for a living with a 100% certainty at that age.

i doubt im gonna go into the field i studied. it would be better then nothing but my priorities and oppourtunities have changed as has my perspective throughout the duration of my course. there is actually quite a lot of people on my course who feel the same way.

ye obviously a job is better, but internships are good for undergraduates so they stand better chances of getting a job after.

its also a good way to find out about a field or a company. better to find out how it is in an internship and find out if its not for u, then to get a job and find that out. i know someone who after an internship decided that the job wasnt for him.

Guest Awesome Kong

I'm being 100% serious, I'm not saying it for the sake of it. But there are little chance for people to get a internship unless you got experience or on some occasions are the best in your subject.

Guest M12 Part 2

lol getting an internship aint that hard justin. In a lotta cases you could just walk into an office with your cv and a bit of smooth talking and get one. Its just about getting past the gatekeepers. HR people, receptionists, security and the like. Plenty of people with no real skills or experience have landed internships just because they show good drive and seem willing to learn.

it depends on the field i suppose, as to how hard getting an internship is.

i think for engineering its easier to get a grad job than an internship, which is probably why he sees it that way.

but does it matter how hard it is to get or not? if you manage to get one it will only boost your employability for a proper job once you graduate.

Guest Awesome Kong

Replying to Justin = timewasting.

Come on now, in this topic I have said nothing but realness!!! Dude, I got myself a job that wasn't really designed for newly graduates and get paid on the higher end of the typical graduate pay so what you have mentioned is gas tbh. I don't believe in internships as well as grad jobs as I feel they want people who have done at LEAST 3 months experience or done placement year. End of the day, companies don't really want to have to train newbies. Good CVs isn't cool is the experience isn't there.

/

I believe in apprenticeships.

Guest Esquilax

Sure getting a job is ideal, but no company, regardless of size, would rather HIRE a grad with no work exp. when they know they can get the work for free. It makes no business sense.