FAO Bookworms

Rippy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Benn - More Time for PoliticsChapmans Homer - The Iliad and the OdysseyThe Cyprus Conspiracy - America, Espionage, and the Turkish InvasionThe Maya (lolz its a good read and i like that sorta sh*t)These are currently on rotation. Once finished I have about 30 more that I bought in one go on impulse from amazon

I like the sound of that Vietnam one.
Trust me mate.Worst part(s) were described when this bloke has single handedly held off an entire platoon of Vietcong for hours, when in his last stand his final moments are revealed by his general standing 20 yards away but could not do anything, graphic...very. Or when they call in a "Broken Arrow" and 2 massive canisters of napalm hit friendlies, again very graphic.
Sounds big, thats shits getting ordered off amazon.
There's a film based on the book called "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson in. It's pretty good if you enjoy war films but like most adaptations it doesn't even scratch the surface of the book."The Road" by Cormac McCarthy is a great short read. No desciption I can give it will do it justice so just take the plunge and you'll thank me later."A Song of Fire and Ice" by George R R Martin is an amazing series. You know how in most medieval fantasy the good guys never die and always win in the end? Well in this expect female characters to get raped, main characters to get brutally murdered when you're just beginning to love them and magic to be so sparse that when it does happen it blows your mind.Also Malcolm X's autobiography is interesting, mainly just to see how he continues to keep learning and admitting to past mistakes which he once so strongly believed in. In my opinion for someone with such strong views that is a sign of great character.It annoys me that more people don't read and the reason for it is definitely to do with schools. When you're younger; schools force you to read and instead of letting you pick books which will be interesting to you they try to ram Shakespeare and "Of Mice and Men" down your neck. Some people will enjoy this and think to get more books but most will relate all books to the 'boring' stuff they read in school and try to avoid reading like the plague.

Trust me mate.Worst part(s) were described when this bloke has single handedly held off an entire platoon of Vietcong for hours, when in his last stand his final moments are revealed by his general standing 20 yards away but could not do anything, graphic...very. Or when they call in a "Broken Arrow" and 2 massive canisters of napalm hit friendlies, again very graphic.
There's a film based on the book called "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson in. It's pretty good if you enjoy war films but like most adaptations it doesn't even scratch the surface of the book.
Dont think i'v seen that you know, will look out for it. safe.

Anything by Carl Hiassen or Christopher Brookmyre.
*Wikipedia's*
Specific recommendations:Hiassen:# Tourist Season (1986)# Double Whammy (1987)# Skin Tight (1989)# Native Tongue (1991)# Strip Tease (1993) # Stormy Weather (1995)# Lucky You (1997)# Sick Puppy (2000)# Basket Case (2002)# Skinny Dip (2004)# Nature Girl (2006)Brookmyre:# Quite Ugly One Morning, 1996# Country of the Blind, 1997# Not the End of the World, 1998# One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night, 1999# The Sacred Art of Stealing, 2003# Be My Enemy (Or f*ck This For a Game of Soldiers), 2004# All Fun and Games until Somebody Loses an Eye, 2005# A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil, 2006

Anything by Carl Hiassen or Christopher Brookmyre.
*Wikipedia's*
Specific recommendations:Hiassen:# Tourist Season (1986)# Double Whammy (1987)# Skin Tight (1989)# Native Tongue (1991)# Strip Tease (1993) # Stormy Weather (1995)# Lucky You (1997)# Sick Puppy (2000)# Basket Case (2002)# Skinny Dip (2004)# Nature Girl (2006)Brookmyre:# Quite Ugly One Morning, 1996# Country of the Blind, 1997# Not the End of the World, 1998# One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night, 1999# The Sacred Art of Stealing, 2003# Be My Enemy (Or f*ck This For a Game of Soldiers), 2004# All Fun and Games until Somebody Loses an Eye, 2005# A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil, 2006
Cheers Lemons but I'll probably only get through a couple!
there are no bookworms on this site tbheven the OP is frontin
I'm not naturally a big reader, I just kind of force myself too. I feel that I should finish more books than I do.

There's a film based on the book called "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson in. It's pretty good if you enjoy war films but like most adaptations it doesn't even scratch the surface of the book.
Dont think i'v seen that you know, will look out for it. safe.
The film is OK. But doesnt do what really happened justice at all, like Sub said, only scratches the surface of the book.On Vietnam though there is a new movie coming out in the next year produced by Tom Hanks, called They Marched Into Sunlight, based on a book as well. Book is tremendous read too, about when a batallion of US soldiers are ambushed and roughly 65 are slain and over 70 wounded badly in 30mins of intense fighting. Anticipating.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Marched_into_Sunlighthttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446050/