What Subjects/People Should Children/Teenagers Be Taught About In School?

Mame Biram Diouf

It's not just the subject it's also the delivery.

Could you expand on this?

As in they should get external people in to deliver some lessons?

Or just the way its put across?

the way it's put across. I never had a good attention span. Always found it hard to focus my mind on a single thing for a period of time, even if I'm really intrested my mind wanders, so teachers stood speaking a the front of the class never engaged my brain enough.

I always found I did better when I had to go looking for information or was doing something active.

I dunno really, maybe that's jus me

It's not just the subject it's also the delivery.

Could you expand on this?

As in they should get external people in to deliver some lessons?

Or just the way its put across?

the way it's put across. I never had a good attention span. Always found it hard to focus my mind on a single thing for a period of time, even if I'm really intrested my mind wanders, so teachers stood speaking a the front of the class never engaged my brain enough.

I always found I did better when I had to go looking for information or was doing something active.

I dunno really, maybe that's jus me

lessons are more like that now with the interactive white board and all that sh*t and computers in almost every class room

lol @ people actually doing work in a computer room though

Hmm I don't have strictly examples (though there are plenty of people who are clearly intelligent yet possessed with a devilish mind)

But a lot of people are saying how to handle money

Being taught how to handle it from a young age won't dissuade the love of it, and love of money is an evil thing

Its like the saying, Knowledge without virtue breeds arrogance

Love of people > Love of money

The world would be a far better place if everyone was virtuous, rather than everyone was clever with money, don't you agree?

The bible says

Blessed are you who are poor, for yours in the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.

@ bane, i know this is mad off-topic

obvious people need to know how to handle money

but people also need to learn you cant stab someone cuz he is from the other side of london to you

shouldnt get pregnant at 10 years old

etc..

those interactive white boards are the worst things I've ever seen introduced into schools

no they arent

okay, over exaggeration, but they're useless, teachers struggle to use them and it makes no sense with their delayed board-to-screen responses and their lack of multiple touching (if a teacher has the interactive pen drawing on it and they accidentally touch the board a big line between the two points is drawn)

Need to be taught the truth about why terrorists do what they do. Should be taught in history classes and religious studies.

Which is?

not that there is a specific reason, but there is a lack of understanding that there is two sides to the story, that the terrorists shown in the media are often responding to negative actions that have been done to them and/or their people, that the UK has abused other places in the past and that that is the reason why such actions are happening

Need to be taught the truth about why terrorists do what they do. Should be taught in history classes and religious studies.

Which is?

not that there is a specific reason, but there is a lack of understanding that there is two sides to the story, that the terrorists shown in the media are often responding to negative actions that have been done to them and/or their people, that the UK has abused other places in the past and that that is the reason why such actions are happening

So your basically telling them that 2 wrongs kinda make a right and that its kinda okay to be a terrorist. Good thinking batman.

oh yeah, and the book by dale carnegie "how to win friends and influence people" should also be compulsory literature.

@R9 the bible was talking about humility and patience, both of which you can have while having money. didnt literally mean u must be poor im sure

lol im not saying you should be poor

I'm saying greed is corruptive

it shouldnt be encouraged from a young age

when i look at the problems going on in the world/this country

I dont think

'people really need to learn how money works'

Which is?

you expect this to be on a school curriculum?

that there should be lessons on the british media and deconstructing its stance on international affairs/terrorism? people aren't even taught the anti-terrorist side of events anyway as far as i know.

things like this are what lots of teachers do anyway. teachers aren't autonomous robots with no opinion. good teachers (i agree there ain't many but everybody had at least one) give opinions on things like this in class.

Why haven't you learned anything?

Man that school sh*t is a joke

The same people who control the school system control

The prison system, and the whole social system

Ever since slavery, nawsayin?

Knowhatimsayin? Cuz see the schools aint teachin us nothin

They aint teachin us nothin but how to be slaves and hardworkers

For white people to build up they sh*t

Make they businesses successful while it's exploitin us

Knowhatimsayin? And they aint teachin us nothin related to

Solvin our own problems, knowhatimsayin?

Aint teachin us how to get crack out the ghetto

They aint teachin us how to stop the police from murdering us

And brutalizing us, they aint teachin us how to get our rent paid

Knowhatimsayin? They aint teachin our families how to interact

Better with each other, knowhatimsayin? They just teachin us

How to build they sh*t up, knowhatimsayin? That's why my niggas

Got a problem with this sh*t, that's why niggas be droppin out that

sh*t cuz it don't relate, you go to school the f*ckin police

Searchin you you walkin in your sh*t like this a military compound

Knowhatimsayin? So school don't even relate to us

Until we have some sh*t where we control the f*ckin school system

Where we reflect how we gon solve our own problems

Them niggas aint gon relate to school, sh*t that just how it is

Knowhatimsayin? And I love education, knowhatimsayin?

But if education aint elevatin me, then you knowhatimsayin it aint

Takin me where I need to go on some bullshit, then f*ck education

Knowhatimsayin? At least they sh*t, matter of fact my nigga

this whole school system can suck my d*ck, BEEYOTCH!!

FTW

Hmm I don't have strictly examples (though there are plenty of people who are clearly intelligent yet possessed with a devilish mind)

Being taught how to handle it from a young age won't dissuade the love of it, and love of money is an evil thing

The world would be a far better place if everyone was virtuous, rather than everyone was clever with money, don't you agree?

Teaching kids about money in school is a dumb idea neway

But u missed the point of the thread imo

They should be taught values by their parents from way b4 they start skool really its not an issue for school education 2 deal with imo

I agree they should be taught values by their parents

But

Primary, and then secondary school are your first real instances of longterm independant interaction with people outside your family

You learn a lot from your parents but school has a huuuuuuuuuge influence on you as a child

it cant be underestimated imo

Teaching kids about money in school is a dumb idea neway

But u missed the point of the thread imo

They should be taught values by their parents from way b4 they start skool really its not an issue for school education 2 deal with imo

Your saying parents like every child has parents some dont even have a parent, and even those that do, they are not educated themselves so how they going to educate their kids.

Just look at Carlos is thread with the gangs, look were them gettin ''raised'' by their parent/parents got them

Think first of all money. Too many people grow up worshiping money, all this talk about money over everything etcAnd not enough people grow up knowing how to handle money, living off credit cards and paying off debts with more debts.

I cant believe the name Marcus Garvey was never mentioned once in my time at school, only came across his name in a song once and looked him up to realize he was one of the greatest men to ever live.

Even the Bloods and Crips. They started off as just protecting the neighbourhoods after the Black Panthers Leaders were either killed or put in prison or forced into exile (Assata). But then they threw drugs into the communities and gun and 30 years later look what we have now. Its gone from one neighbourhood to a global issue.

Even things like the benefits of having a strong family unit.

Add yours.

Indirect imo

Which is?

What are u on about?

Can i ask who is a terrorist in ur opinion?

it can never be a bad thing to learn how to handle money from an early age

it doesnt encourage greed, it enables the poor who have nothing to not keep having nothing

how to budget, as simple as that sounds

managing debt, opening your mail when it comes through the door, even tho its a bunch of bills

simple sh*t

saving

we live in a capitalist system, everyone should know exactly what the options are available to them to benefit from the system

it can never be a bad thing to learn how to handle money from an early age

it doesnt encourage greed, it enables the poor who have nothing to not keep having nothing

how to budget, as simple as that sounds

managing debt, opening your mail when it comes through the door, even tho its a bunch of bills

simple sh*t

saving

we live in a capitalist system, everyone should know exactly what the options are available to them to benefit from the system

I never said it encourages greed

I said it won't discourage the love of money

and the love of money/power

is one of the main problems in society/the world/whatever

'money by any means'

oh yeah, and the book by dale carnegie "how to win friends and influence people" should also be compulsory literature.

@R9 the bible was talking about humility and patience, both of which you can have while having money. didnt literally mean u must be poor im sure

I dont think

lol, but thats the thing, when you look at the problems that go on in this world/country its the fact that people DO NOT understand money and how the money game works that the FEW who do, can be corrupted at the immense gains they stand to make by capitalizing on people's ignorance.

I dont think

lol, but thats the thing, when you look at the problems that go on in this world/country its the fact that people DO NOT understand money and how the money game works that the FEW who do, can be corrupted at the immense gains they stand to make by capitalizing on people's ignorance.

true

but of course im speaking retrospectively

and those people who can be corrupted go back to the CLever devils thing

but meh its all hypothetical

if the new generations of children were to learn anything I would MUCH prefer it were that they were better to their fellow man

rather than better with money