The Goalkeeping Situation

Francis Coquelin

• 3 weeks later...

Arsenal have opened negotiations with Wojciech Szczęsny over a new contract, according to respected Polish news agency Sport.pl.Szczęsny, who’s current contract expires in July, shone in last night’s Carling Cup win over Newcastle United, earning mass applause. Talks had previously stalled over an extension, but the club are believed to have proposed fresh terms of a 5 year deal which would also includes a 20% rise in wages.Wojciech spoke to Sport.pl after the game. In his usual determined manner, the 20-year-old admitted he is keen to take all his chances and prove he is as good as he says he is.“One good game does not make me a great goalkeeper, as a poor performance that crossed me. I rarely get a chance, so I try to make the most of it.”“I look forward to further performances to prove that it was no accident. I hope to keep a place in the League Cup side.”Negotiations are expected to be concluded before January.

Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny has no intention of holding contract talks with the club at the moment.The young Pole insisthat that whether he signs a new deal or leaves eventually will depend entirely on how many appearances he makes between now and the end of the season."There was some offers, but I am not interested right now," Szczensy said, according to the Daily Mail."It’s not that I don’t want to extend the contract, I just don’t want to hold talks at this point."I have enough money to live and I can’t complain about that, but I will only be happy if I play."Everything depends on how many games I play. I admit that I want to play at Arsenal as long as they want me."If I can earn my place in goal I won’t even consider any other offers."Szczensy has made only two first-team appearances for Arsenal, but has kept a clean sheet on both occasions.

• 2 weeks later...

Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Wojciech Szczesny has signed a new long-term contract with the Club.Having joined Arsenal as a scholar in the summer of 2006, the Polish youngster made his debut in the 2-0 Carling Cup Third Round win over West Bromwich Albion in 2009 and has impressed with his performances.The 20-year old, 6ft 5in stopper gained valuable first-team experience last season when he spent a highly successful loan spell at League One side Brentford, making 28 appearances for the Bees and keeping an impressive ten clean sheets during several man-of-the-match performances.Wojciech got another taste of first-team action for Arsenal in this year's Carling Cup, when he made a string of fines saves during an eye-catching performance in the Club's 4-0 victory at Newcastle United. The Pole has also been a regular fixture on the Arsenal bench this season during Manuel Almunia's enforced absence through injury.The son of former Polish international goalkeeper Maciej Szczesny, Wojciech followed in his father's footsteps when he made his senior international debut for Poland in a 1-0 friendly win over Canada in November 2009. He is also a regular for the Polish Under-21 side for whom he has six international caps.Arsène Wenger said: "We are delighted to secure the long-term future of Wojciech, who we regard as a very important part of our Club's future. We have all seen his huge potential, both in training and in the matches that he has played for us, so we look forward to seeing him develop further in the coming years."Wojciech Szczesny added: "It's a great feeling to sign a new contract with Arsenal and I'm so pleased. The negotiations happened very quickly and it was easy. I'm now looking forward to continuing the hard work on the training pitch and doing my best whenever I have the opportunity to play in the Arsenal first-team."I would just like to thank everyone that has helped me get this far, especially Liam Brady, Roy Massey and all his staff at the Hale End Academy. Also Neil Banfield, Steve Bould, all the backroom staff, Arsène Wenger, everyone at Brentford that helped me kick-on last season and all my team-mates here at Arsenal and, of course, my family."Everyone at Arsenal Football Club is looking forward to Wojciech's continued contribution in the forthcoming years.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rorschach

He did well, kicking is poor though, not just his distribution from the floor in terms of finding players (he seemed to be just lumping it with no thought of retaining possession), but his technique when the ball was played back to him seemed wanting.However he is young and can improve that, he was very confident in the air when he had to be, and made some good saves, most notably a Schmeichel-esque starfish save to stop Anderson in a 1-on-1 situation.The backline seemed to have confidence in him too, I didn't get the feeling you normally get with the Arsenal defence that at any given time the keeper can f*ck things up for them.

• 3 weeks later...
Galatasaray have emerged as the new favourites to sign Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia, Goal.com UK can reveal.The Turkish giants have made an enquiry for the Spaniard and are willing to match the Londoners’ £1.5 million valuation of the out-of-favour goalkeeper and his £50,000-a-week wages.Almunia would still prefer a return to Spain and there remains strong interest from Malaga, while Atletico Madrid are also monitoring the 33-year-old’s availability.Goal.com UK first revealed last month that Arsene Wenger had informed the goalkeeper that he should begin looking for another club and that there was no appetite to offer him a new contract beyond his current deal, which ends in 2012.Since suffering an elbow injury in the home defeat to West Brom on September 25, Almunia has endured a number of setbacks in his rehabilitation. He has played only 45 minutes for the reserves and an ankle injury picked up in training will keep him on the sidelines for a further two to three weeks.“Almunia has played his last game for Arsenal,” a club source told Goal.com UK. “It looks like he is going to Turkey although there is still interest from Spain.”Wenger has no plans to replace the Spaniard in this month’s transfer window and is prepared to put his faith for the rest of the season in new No.1 Lukasz Fabianski and impressive 20-year-old Wojciech Szczesny, who looked comfortable on the big stage when he stepped in at the last minute to make his Premier League debut against Manchester United last month.Fabianski, who has started every Premier League and Champions League game bar one since Almunia’s injury, has benefited from an extended run in the team and has reduced his number of costly unforced errors.Szczesny is viewed by Wenger as the club’s long-term No.1 and signed a new five-year contract last November.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlkq3ODntkU

Arsenal Football Club can confirm that goalkeeper Vito Mannone has extended his loan with Championship side Hull City until the end of the season. Mannone, 22, has featured seven times for the Tigers since arriving at the KC Stadium in October last year. He has kept four clean sheets and is yet to experience defeat with Nigel Pearson’s team. The Italian stopper joined Arsenal in 2005 from Atalanta. He made his first team debut against Stoke City in a 4-1 victory in May 2009, following a loan spell at Barnsley where he played four times. He made eight first-team appearances last term, including a match-winning display against Fulham at Craven Cottage. Vito’s highly productive 2009/10 season also saw him sign a new long-term contract with Arsenal and receive his first Italy Under-21 cap. Everyone at Arsenal Football Club wishes Vito continued success during his time with Hull City.

• 3 weeks later...