All-Black film Cast... nah wont sell in Europe?

MARVELL

He was brilliant in Crash, even though he wasnt that much on the screen. To me, the better actor out of the lot.

He (Terrence) just need one movie.

Look at Whitaker. Brilliant actor, but most movies werent enough and then got that Idi Amin movie. Got him his Oscar.

Terrance is very close to getting one of them roles imo

Whitaker was truly amazing in the Idi role

Lol @ being the bad guy having anything to with that Oscar win.

Shout outs to Don Cheadle and Djimon Hounsou while black actors are being thrown around, sick guys.

lol @ being addicted to he victim feeling when ur the only one here acting like a victim

eh?

im jus sayin

black people done pretty well when it comes to gettin on tv n films, so i don't see where marv gets his views from

show me a blockbuster from 2011 that didn't have a positive black character in it and i might start swallowin

even shows like merlin set in medeval england have black characters, suprised idris elba ain't made an appearance in downton abbey tbh

n yet we have marv claiming that there's no market for this film in europe, which it doesn't claim anywhere in the article btw, jus says 60% of profits are from foreign markets

what about japan, china, brazil and russia? only europe watches hollywood films tho i guess yh

Lucas teamed with Black co-executive producer, Charles Floyd Johnson, and Black director, Anthony Hemingway to create a film they all hope will inspire a new generation of African American youth. The message of the movie, the lesson of the Tuskegee Airmen is clear: We have the power to overcome any barrier to serve our nation and achieve our dreams. One movie won't solve the problem, but we think it's an important step in the right direction.

seems like the creators seem to think this film is a personal message to african american youth anyway, so maybe marv's right, that would imply there isn't a market for this film in europe

anyway.....i'm sure the box office sales will do all the talking, this film will be a definate flop in europe i guess what with all that racism, especially compared to the tolerant and welcoming japan and chinese markets

my guess is it will be a huge success tho

but marv and other nutjob black conspirisists will hold their position, n remain throwing a tantrum on the white man's floor, cos all they really want is a bit of attention

n u lot will probably stay c/sing him, cos its a convenient lie

ur just a dumb crackhead. its amazing how you can read the alphabet and come up with numbers and symbols...

black people are dominating TV and media? in this country or in the US?

There is a tiny presence in this country..and its tokenistic. its still something and only the BBC and CH4 can take praise for that

I didnt say there was no market for the film in europe i said LUCAS said EVERY MAJOR film company and distributor in the US said so!!

a film aimed at inspiring a new generation of black youth, is also supposed to entertain everyone else. especially as your sister will probably f*ck one

and not just relegated to black ppl.

so stfu

• Downvote 2

Guest petercrotch

lol @ being addicted to he victim feeling when ur the only one here acting like a victim

eh?

im jus sayin

black people done pretty well when it comes to gettin on tv n films, so i don't see where marv gets his views from

show me a blockbuster from 2011 that didn't have a positive black character in it and i might start swallowin

even shows like merlin set in medeval england have black characters, suprised idris elba ain't made an appearance in downton abbey tbh

n yet we have marv claiming that there's no market for this film in europe, which it doesn't claim anywhere in the article btw, jus says 60% of profits are from foreign markets

what about japan, china, brazil and russia? only europe watches hollywood films tho i guess yh

Lucas teamed with Black co-executive producer, Charles Floyd Johnson, and Black director, Anthony Hemingway to create a film they all hope will inspire a new generation of African American youth. The message of the movie, the lesson of the Tuskegee Airmen is clear: We have the power to overcome any barrier to serve our nation and achieve our dreams. One movie won't solve the problem, but we think it's an important step in the right direction.

seems like the creators seem to think this film is a personal message to african american youth anyway, so maybe marv's right, that would imply there isn't a market for this film in europe

anyway.....i'm sure the box office sales will do all the talking, this film will be a definate flop in europe i guess what with all that racism, especially compared to the tolerant and welcoming japan and chinese markets

but marv and other nutjob black conspirisists will hold their position, n remain throwing a tantrum on the white man's floor, cos all they really want is a bit of attention

Black people tend to do better when they are starring in sitcoms not so much movies . It's extremly hard for black people especially black women to get main roles in movies . how many years have we been watching either denzel samuel l jackson

yeh you have to be the baddie, or get raped like halle to get a look in.also if this statement about getting production financing was said by a black director like spike lee everyone would be up in arms saying he's playing the race card. watch the EU film commission (dunno if one exists..just saying) or thereaboutscome out and condemn his statement and say that Europe is "committed to diversity and inclusion in film"etc etc

I know Spike Lee had to put £3 million of his own money into Malcolm X, can't really remember the reaction at the time though.

eh?

im jus sayin

Oh you mean the black servant?

yeh you have to be the baddie, or get raped like halle to get a look in.also if this statement about getting production financing was said by a black director like spike lee everyone would be up in arms saying he's playing the race card. watch the EU film commission (dunno if one exists..just saying) or thereaboutscome out and condemn his statement and say that Europe is "committed to diversity and inclusion in film"etc etc

I know Spike Lee had to put £3 million of his own money into Malcolm X, can't really remember the reaction at the time though.

The movie looks very good, a bit too much CGI though but that seems to be the way to save costs nowadays.

Spike lee had the same problem with malcolm x, the studio at first refused to have him as the director and wanted a white person who they felt was 'more experienced'. then later agreed after he threatened to walk, and they gave him a smaller than requested budget so he got the rest of the finance for the movie

from Oprah, bill cosby, magic johnson, prince and Janet jackson.

Terrence deserved an oscar for crash over hustle and flow

when the best thing theyve done in the last 20yrs as a station when it was 100% black owned was 106 & park

they developed nothing original, no films, put nothing that had a real legacy apart from ohhhh surprise surprise....THE BET MUSIC AWARDS!

terrence howard was in Crash as well. which was an oscar worthy film

their aim is to broadcast shows of interest to a black audience, they don't claim to be a Television production company, they're not HBO.

the best thing they've ever done is stay on TV, showing entertainment for a black audience for the entire time they're on, even if the particular program currently showing isn't to Your taste

and they're BET awards, not just for music. Terrence Howard won the best black actor award at the BET awards, for his role in crash.

Crash I would say oscar worthy for the film overall, and the screenplay. (which it won). I don't think individual performances carried the film for any single actor to win an oscar for it, it was a collective effort, and if anyone deserved it, it would be the Michael Pena for supporting actor (mexican locksmith)

why are people cussing George Lucas? all he's doing is financing it. he's not writing or directing it

this will be the director's feature film debut though, bit risky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcKPi5DyGWs

was a good movie about black soldiers in WW2

can You provide a link to the article where it's claimed the studios rejected it because of the all black cast?

:/ lens are you being serious? their aim is to broadcast to a black audience? WTF does that even mean?

should a black audience only be relegated to music broadcasts then?

why cant they be HBO? or like the BBC? the whole point of setting up the station was to have black people represented where they were underrepresented in the mainstream.

then for 20 yrs all they did was music this and that...as if thats all black people are skilled at.

is the writer of boondocks not black? imagine BET with boondocks, the wire, and medea films and tv shows

imagine they had in depth documentaries about black history...

instead they have documentaries that only talk about drugs and gangs

so they couldnt get no talent to make BET into a HBO/BBC/channel 4? cos its only whites or jews that are skilled enough for that innit.

talk about a wasted opportunity. Tune in to Zee TV sometime and look at how thats run.

read the article i posted and find what Lucas said there

• Downvote 1

lol@ lens.. didnt think you were a justin.

BET is a cable TV network, the same as its rivals ABC, The WB, MTV , SPIKE, CBS, BBC, HBO, all of that

the fact that you never saw them as a tv network and just a 'broadcaster' (which again doesnt make any sense since any network is already a broadcaster!!)

already speak volumes that you never saw them on the same level as the other channels who actually provided more than just music.one has to be clutching at straws when i need to go to a blog for a film review. My spill??? who the fick are they

• Downvote 2

but still no link to an article where Lucas claims Hollywood studio racism? will have to put that down as Your imagination, or Your opinion. please seperate Your opinion from the facts please, and provide references for the facts. it's not hard

/

ok, so since what You're saying is apparently true, name me some BET produced TV shows that appear on other TV stations. I can do that for all the above TV production companies You named.

if You can't, i'll assume i'm right. and what's the comparison to Justin?

while we're at it, since You're saying ALL TV stations are TV production companies, name a show produced by UK Gold. would have said Bravo or the Virgin channel, but they're off air now so You caught a bly

MY IMAGINATION?? YEAH?

YOU COULDNT SPEND 3 SECONDS TO GOOGLE?

George Lucas slams Hollywood for refusing to support black films

Star Wars director George Lucas has blasted Hollywood for failing to support black films claiming his forthcoming movie Red Tails took 20 years to make because 'there's no major white roles in it at all'.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/film/887220-george-lucas-slams-hollywood-for-refusing-to-support-black-films#ixzz1k1ECZssE

AND the fact that no BET shows are shown anywhere else is exactly the reason why its a sh*t channel

did they not beg HBO to get thewire shown on there?

they do not produce any original content apart from mainly music oriented stuff

the original content they have produced has been wack such as " lets stay together"

what network is going to pay lots of money for that?

secondly, US networks are not going to show BET programs as thats copyright stuff.. the deal with HBO to show thewire on BET was a special deal.

international TV stations that buy US tv programmes are not going to buy anything from BET cos theres nothing for them to buy tbh.

or do you expect the BBC to show 106 and park?

Black americans have been talking about BETs wasted opportunity for yrs. the fact that they have not developed black TV/film talent

nor do they encourage it by getting production developed.

UK Gold is owned BY the BBC to show BBC and other TV licence programmes from the TV licence broadcasters!!!. no comparison

pls go and read about BET before making silly statements.