Overrated players that are considered great?

CrillzCity

Guest whowantswhat

He gets his credit for being great. So all you guys basically agree with the statement that he is the best player ever?

From the little i've seen from any players before the 90s the best player for me is Maradona, looked like he created actual magic. Greatest player i've seen in my lifetime is Luis Ronaldo.

Well my point about Pele wasn't really about his talent but more so that people just follow the cliche that he was the greatest regardless based on hearing the title. Even Maradona who is potentially the best player ever and from south america considered George Best to be the Best. If Luis Ronaldo was about during Peles time he would of been looked upon with higher grace than Pele for what he was capable of IMO.

Gambino what you have to think about is what kinda nation Brazil is, they have had players like Ronaldinho, Zico, Romario who at their peak were as good as Messi easily.

Now this nation which created the flair player let's be under no illusion, regards Pele as their greatest.

That means they appreciate while flair is great a footballer has to have more substance.

When Pele went to the 1958 World Cup at 17 he was that flair player with all the tricks, just watch "The Hat" which is the trick he did in the world cup final that year.

Remember these are the same times Real Madrid was eating Europe alive winning 5 CL trophies.

Now this is the same player who was the ONLY surviving member of that 1958 squad to take Brazil to world cup 1970.

Only one.

As someone said he wasn't the same player as before, lost abit of pace etc... But he reinvented himself as the archetypal no.10 to partner and supply the DEADLY Jairzinho.

This is the same Jairzinho who coached a young R9 remember and taught the genius everything he learned from the master, they are all linked lol it ain't coincidence or accident R9 was so good so young.

Pele would have arguably won 4 World Cups had he not been hacked down during 1966.

The display from Pele and Brazil 1970 is the most comprehensive showing at a tournament you will ever see, teams tried everything, tried to outscore them, tried to park the bus and tried to hack them down, no1 including then World Champions England could stop them, Jairzinho goal Pele assist.

Pele's fantastic header in the final showed how much of an all round player he was & the last goal against Italy is the greatest team goal of all time without a doubt, Pele's assist for Carlos Alberto was as beautiful as the build up play, as beautiful as the strike itself and he bounced as player of the tournament.

I once thought it was hype myself but when you take everything into consideration, him being able to adjust and win with different teams, Copa Libertadores/World Cups, being Brazils all time leading goalscorer etc... it kinda becomes clear he wasn't just a flash in the pan like a Best, he didn't crumble like Messi on the world stage, had more ideas & longevity than Maradona, he was the real deal, the type of player when sh*t wasn't working had a plan B and plan C.

Maybe you could argue there have been better dribblers but as a FOOTBALLER there is none greater.

• Upvote 1

I don't think people actually remember Roy Keane's performance's week in, week out for us.

I remember his performance his game was built on tackling, aggression, winning the ball then passing it simply a few yards to the flair players but that is the same every good Defensive MIdfielder does you watch every other good Defensive Midfielder and watch Keanes performance you don't see a difference like that.

Gerrard for example is genuinley World Class he can tackle and win the ball, spray accurate 30-40-50 yard passes, strike the ball from 20-30 yards into the top corner, put in accurate crosses, score headers he can do everything defend and win the ball, provide assists, score 15-20 goals a season consistantly.

Huge difference from Gerrard and what Keane did.

• 2 months later...

I think Peles only over rated when he gets titled as the greatest ever. Ronaldo, Best, Maradona and Messi are all ahead of him IMO.

Messi does not deserve to be mentioned in the same category as Ronaldo,Maradona and Pele. Messi is the best currently/this generation but he is over rated IMO

Gambino what you have to think about is what kinda nation Brazil is, they have had players like Ronaldinho, Zico, Romario who at their peak were as good as Messi easily.

Now this nation which created the flair player let's be under no illusion, regards Pele as their greatest.

That means they appreciate while flair is great a footballer has to have more substance.

When Pele went to the 1958 World Cup at 17 he was that flair player with all the tricks, just watch "The Hat" which is the trick he did in the world cup final that year.

Remember these are the same times Real Madrid was eating Europe alive winning 5 CL trophies.

Now this is the same player who was the ONLY surviving member of that 1958 squad to take Brazil to world cup 1970.

Only one.

As someone said he wasn't the same player as before, lost abit of pace etc... But he reinvented himself as the archetypal no.10 to partner and supply the DEADLY Jairzinho.

This is the same Jairzinho who coached a young R9 remember and taught the genius everything he learned from the master, they are all linked lol it ain't coincidence or accident R9 was so good so young.

Pele would have arguably won 4 World Cups had he not been hacked down during 1966.

The display from Pele and Brazil 1970 is the most comprehensive showing at a tournament you will ever see, teams tried everything, tried to outscore them, tried to park the bus and tried to hack them down, no1 including then World Champions England could stop them, Jairzinho goal Pele assist.

Pele's fantastic header in the final showed how much of an all round player he was & the last goal against Italy is the greatest team goal of all time without a doubt, Pele's assist for Carlos Alberto was as beautiful as the build up play, as beautiful as the strike itself and he bounced as player of the tournament.

I once thought it was hype myself but when you take everything into consideration, him being able to adjust and win with different teams, Copa Libertadores/World Cups, being Brazils all time leading goalscorer etc... it kinda becomes clear he wasn't just a flash in the pan like a Best, he didn't crumble like Messi on the world stage, had more ideas & longevity than Maradona, he was the real deal, the type of player when sh*t wasn't working had a plan B and plan C.

Maybe you could argue there have been better dribblers but as a FOOTBALLER there is none greater.

What a post!!!!!

Rooney is not world class, it's flung around way too much.

Very good player but not world class, goes missing way too much.

At his age now I would have thought he would be terrorising the league week in week out like Henry did and Messi and Ronaldo do.

Showing my age, but watching man like THE Ronaldo, Zidane, Bergkamp they were world class. Shout out Battigoal and Milan Shevchenko

true words my g

seems like peopel to fast to say any top player is world class!