2012 FIA Formula 1 Season

Sinister

Robert Kubica says his confidence levels have been boosted following his victory in an Italian domestic rally on Sunday.

The Pole returned to competition last weekend following the accident he suffered at the start of 2011.

Kubica won all four stages of the event and took the overall victory by nearly a minute driving a Subaru Impreza.

He said he had been boosted by his feeling during the rally.

"I wasn't looking for a result at any cost," Kubica was quoted as saying by Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I knew that driving is a bit like riding a bicycle, you can't forget how to do it, but I wanted to verify my psycho-physical conditions in a competition, and I got positive feelings.

"The road is still long, but in a few days' time I will face a real rally with a lot more confidence.

"Had my conditions been better, I wouldn't be here. But for now, having taken part and won the Ronde Gomitolo di Lana is enough."

Co-driver Giuliano Manfredi added: "It was fun. I have known Robert for some time and I had expected to see him agitated at least at times. Instead he was always calm and focused."

Kubica is expected to compete at the San Martino di Castrozza rally this weekend.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has effectively ruled out Sergio Perez driving for his team next year, insisting the Mexican is still lacking experience.

Perez has been enjoying an impressive season with Sauber, having finished on the podium three times, including second place in the Italian Grand Prix last weekend, when he beat both Ferrari drivers Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa.

The Sauber driver, in his second season in Formula 1, has been linked with Massa's seat for months, prompting di Montezemolo to play down talk of the Mexican landing a 2013 Ferrari seat back in June.

Although Perez has continued to impress this season, di Montezemolo said on Wednesday that 2013 would still be too soon for the Mexican to move into Ferrari.

"Next season is too early," Di Montezemolo told Sky Sports News. "I'm very pleased for him [after Perez finished second at Monza] because first of all it shows that our choice when we have picked up him as a young driver was good.

"Then it is thanks to Sauber and thanks to the Ferrari Academy that he grows up.

"To put a young guy to Ferrari with the pressure of Ferrari, you need more experience."

Di Montezemolo also said he would welcome world champion Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari in the future should the German leave Red Bull Racing.

"I think that Vettel is more or less in the condition like when Michael was in Benetton," he added.

"He's younger, he's a very good driver and he's making a very good experience so in theory, if you have to ask me a name, I could tell you his name."

• 2 weeks later...

Formula One took to the streets of Singapore today wondering whether it will be for the last time. Teams got their first look at their schedule for 2013 in the minutes leading up to first practice for the Singapore Grand Prix.

They arrived at the Marina Bay circuit with a thunderstorm raging around them with the rain abating in time for the first cars to take to the winding street circuit throughout the heart of this extraordinary city. Talk had already started on the prospects for next year, though.

And what a tough year it will be if all of the races go ahead: New Jersey becomes one of 13 intercontinental destinations with just seven races in Europe. The British Grand Prix comes forward by a week to June 30, which means it should miss clashing with the Wimbledon men’s final as it has so many times in the past.

Bahrain is back on the calendar as the fourth grand prix of the season, a week after the Chinese Grand Prix. The race was surrounded by a clamour for its cancellation last year as pro-democracy supporters took to the streets. However, there were no incidents at the Sakhir Circuit and drivers and teams remained safe, which has clearly encouraged Bernie Ecclestone, Formula One’s chief executive, to persevere with a race that will remain deeply unpopular with a large section of its own people.

Demonstrations can be expected again as protestors continue to accuse the Bahraini Government of dragging its feet over reforms and using Formula One as a political tool.

However, significant doubts remain over four races - led by Singapore. New Jersey, Korea and Germany are also asterisked by Ecclestone on the list that will have to be approved by the FIA, the governing body.

New Jersey is the much-awaited newcomer, a race due to be staged within sight of New York’s skyscrapers. Ecclestone had cast doubt over whether the authorities in New Jersey would be ready but work is said to be going ahead at pace, although he is clearly keeping his options open.

The German Grand Prix is also scheduled for the Nurburgring, although it is not clear whether the famous circuit is over the financial troubles that threw its future into doubt.

Korea is simply out of money: many were surprised that the race in the backwater of Mokpo managed to stagger on to this year’s calendar. This season’s grand prix is due to take place next month but there must be fears that it will not survive into next season unless fortunes change radically.

Singapore, by contrast, is massively successful, which is why organisers here are increasing pressure on Ecclestone. Over five years, Singapore has become known as the Monaco of the Far East - and Monaco is the only race that pays no race fees to Ecclestone’s Formula One business.

It is thought that Singapore has beaten its race fee down to as little as £7.5 million, only a quarter of what Bahrain pays. But the authorities say that the costs of staging the race in the city centre, causing huge disruption to commerce, are massive and warrants Singapore getting the same fee waiver as Monaco.

Singapore also attracts many more spectators than Monaco, massive corporate interest as well as putting on a sporting spectacular under floodlights.

There is no new deal on the table yet but Ecclestone will be keen to hang on to the only grand prix in the Far East that can truly claim to have been a success.

Next year’s calendar is similar to this year’s but for the increase in the number of back-to-back races to eight. Teams with mechanics, engineers and staff members with young families will be growing increasingly concerned at the amount of time they are having to spend away from home to complete Formula One’s demanding schedule, altough Ecclestone has for the first time kept the whole of August clear for a summer break.

maldanado to wipe out lewis 1st corner ?