What's your salary?

kerser

Think it's prob better to work out what you get paid hourly ( on average) cuz if you're on 50k and working 70+ hours a week and someone else is on 40k working 9-5 then the latter obviously has the better pay

Nobody who is doing a professional job is getting paid hourly or working a '9-5'

/

if you make 28k a year working 9-5, but i work 9-8 and make 40...at the end of the year i'm still making more money. depends whether you'd rather be overworked or underpaid and on your financial goals

Well obviously, that's an extra £12k a year for 15 more hours per week.. I was talking more along the lines of someone having to work 70 hours a week to earn 50k compared to someone who works 40 hours a week and gets 40k.. The person who earns less at the end of the year still has the better paid job

Whilst I agree with the sentiments of Brem I think the 1k per year thing is extremely arbitrary. For instance, I worked in advertising previously and wasn't paid 1k per year of my age but I was out 4-5 times a week eating, at events, parties etc where everything was either on your work card or on the clients/vendors. Then factor in the "inspiration fund" which we had whereby any time you went to the cinema, footy, concert, theatre you could claim it back on expenses. By the end of the month you'd realise you've barely spent a dime of your wages.

Some months then I was finishing the month with more money than I was when I first started in finance and I was earning a lot more then than I was in advertising.

At the end of the day I don't believe money should be the driver. For the fortunate of us who are able to get a big wage early on in the career then great but I think the focus should be on getting that experience because down the line you can command your wage.

Chasing your dream career > chasing a wage

Don't end up as someone who regrets their career path later on in life because it paid well early on. You just have to compromise and make the pay work if it's what you want to do

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

So between the above post and now I've just taken a 20k (excl bonuses) pay cut to join a start up in Manchester. Nervous as f*ck, big leap but massive kickback on delayed incentives and I'll be playing a big part. Money will rise exponentially when the ball gets rolling.

Being the driver of a business >>> being a cog in the machine (presumably)

Agreed with the last sentence. Best of luck!

Congratulations bro, I left the start up world because I don't have the legs to run on my own yet but eventually one imagines thats where I will end up, if i'm not in a more senior role for a different company.

It is all about being the wheel fucking being a cog, I'm interviewing for a job tommorow that's more strategic than tactical, its absolutely the way forward (personally)

I didn't take a pay cut for it mind you, but it was a means of progression.

The pros were the culture, fast track progression, wide scope of responsibility/exposure, individual recognition, and whatever is the opposite of bureaucracy?
The cons were limited resources, stupid long hours, sole responsibility, job security.

From my experience a start up's best suited to any professional seeking an opportunity to capitalise/gain recognition for excellence; which in a larger company may go unnoticed or unrewarded. It's definitely not for someone who coasts. Many people who joined the company didn't last more than a few months, because it's vital to have experts in each area because of the high stakes nature of the business, the coasters and the inept were quickly exposed and shown the door quite ruthlessly. Others came and soon made their mark as key players in the organisation and got rewarded accordingly, most often with mobility.

You will be able to mould your own role as you see fit and there's a lot of job satisfaction to be had from that.

Not sure which field you're in Gekko, that will have a bearing on mobility (if that's even what you're looking for) but in my 2 years there (since incorporation) I saw a graphic designer become 'head of implementation, marketing exec. become 'head of client partnerships', legal counsel become 'head of business affairs'. Roles which they forged for themselves. Many others used it as a stepping stone to another place, as did I. I came as an accounts assistant in a finance team of two (myself and FD). At the time I left I'd gone from processing and balance sheet recs, to producing the management accounts pack on my 1s, to presenting that and the business plan draft to the board alongside the FD. However I came to a ceiling as I was acting FC going four months, very out of my depth, without equal remuneration. So as was always the plan, I decided to move sideways to do the same thing in a listed company to fill the knowledge gaps left by taking on so much so fast.

My advice therefore is not to consider it a long term arrangement if the conditions are the same for you, but a stepping stone.

• Upvote 1

LOL @ someone negging me for that.

/

I'm currently recruiting, and with the calibre of some of the CVs I'm getting in relation to the salary I'm offering, the idea that some people in here with Mickey Mouse education and no clear elucidation of what they do, earning what they claim to be is ridiculous.

I only put the job on Oxford, Cambridge, University of London careers sites (and maybe a couple of others) so I'm getting high calibre responses, for a relatively paltry salary.

• Downvote 7

What's the job broski?

No bring ins for the VIP famley?

I would have hired you, if you could spell correctly.

Definitely not hiring any niggas (distinct from black males) so that counts out 95% of VIP2.

Will consider black males who have been to a top 5 uni, or who have insane work ethic.

No need to neg me Badman, I actually think you're alright. Don't judge me by my VIP2 posts, most of which are for my own amusement.