Champions League Semi Final Time!!

Mr Q

Chelsea will be hoping to make it third time lucky as they get set to face Liverpool in the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League.The two sides have met each other on three previous occasions in Europe's premier club competition, with two of those encounters coming at the last four stage.Liverpool have emerged victorious over the two legs on both of those occasions, going on to lift the trophy in an epic final against Milan in 2005, before falling short against the same opponents two years later.If the last six European meetings between the two sides are anything to go by then there is unlikely to be a goal fest at Anfield on Tuesday, as only three goals have been scored during those games.It should be an intriguing battle on Merseyside though as the competition's most potent attack, Liverpool with 26 goals, attempt to breach the tightest defence - Chelsea have conceded just four so far.Both teams also boast plenty of Champions League pedigree among their ranks, as their squads each contain six players who have lifted the trophy before.With the game seemingly almost impossible to call, both sides' recent form in Europe would also suggest that the tie is delicately poised.Liverpool have won their last four Champions League games at Anfield, scoring 18 goals in the process, while Chelsea have lost only one of their last 10 in the competition.Gerrard backThe Reds had been sweating on the fitness of their inspirational captain Steven Gerrard in the run up to the game, but he has now been declared fit to lead them into battle.Gerrard completed a full training session at Melwood on Monday, and afterwards manager Rafa Benitez was able to confirm that the 27-year-old had recovered from the neck injury which ruled him out of Saturday's Premier League win at Fulham.Benitez confirmed that he has no new injury problems to deal with, with Daniel Agger and Harry Kewell both out long-term.The Spanish coach made eight changes at Craven Cottage, with Fernando Torres on the bench.However, the 30-goal top scorer will face Chelsea, as will Alvaro Arbeloa, Ryan Babel, Dirk Kuyt and Xabi Alonso - who were all left out against the Cottagers.Lampard returnsWhile Liverpool will be happy to have Gerrard back among their ranks, Chelsea will be equally as delighted to see Frank Lampard rejoin their squad for the first leg encounter.The Chelsea vice-captain has missed the club's last two matches to be at the bedside of his mother Pat, who is ill in hospital with pneumonia.Chelsea will definitely be without goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini (hamstring), while striker Didier Drogba remains doubtful with a knee complaint.Midfielder Michael Essien is another who will miss out as he must serve a suspension after picking up a second yellow card in the knockout stages during the Blues' quarter-final success over Fenerbahce.
Think it will be same old game. only one goal in it. Torres to continue his goal scoring at anfield.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lemons
Will miss the first half of this as I'm doing circuit training in Green park with people from work. I fully expect it to be sh*t though, might not watch it at all.

I'm not gonna concentrate on this match 'cause it'll be sh*t. Chelsea will get a result in their favour, either a score draw or a 1-0/ 2-1 victory. Either way they'll win the tie. Liverpool aint got the 2nd leg at Anfield which equals loss

main thing that makes me laugh about these liverpool chelsea games is people love to moan about them and say it will be sh*t yet they still find themselves watching it and make up an excuse as to why they watched it. the bandwagon movements make me laugh.

I get the feeling this is gonna be different from the another semi's. I dont think us playing away 2nd leg is gonna make that much of a difference perhaps it might even put more pressure on chelsea, if we get the right result at anfield. I do think we need a clean sheet in this leg (but thats standard). These games like everybody says are decided on small details.BUT 1 THING THAT ANNOYS METHE PAPERS ALWAYS TALK BOUT THE GOAL THAT NEVER WAS BUT FORGET TO MENTION THE PEN AND RED CARD FOR CECH THAT NEVER WAS EITHER.

Guest haze-e
Torres aint scoring. Lol.Chelsea will win 2-1
hmmmmm either a arsenal or spurs fan *takes note*
Erm... Neither.You best throw away your note book.

Guest haze-e
Erm... Neither.You best throw away your note book.
:D so who u support ?
Lol. Man Utd.

I bet my bottom dollar that most of these people complaining that the game will be a sleep fest are bitter Arsenal fans. It ain't a biggie though.There will certainly not be 8 goals in the tie, but if we (Liverpool) can prevent Chelsea getting an away goal, we will make it through. I am more confident about this tie than I was when we played Inter and Arsenal.Liverpool vs UTD please!!!!!

think it might be different this time round with liverpool playing away second leg

WTFWhy would an arsenal or Spurs fan say Chelsea to win 2-1?!Both sets of the supporters hate the rent boys.
Init.LOL at the lack of understanding regarding rivalry.
Happens frequently in this place. Im not suprised

I bet my bottom dollar that most of these people complaining that the game will be a sleep fest are bitter Arsenal fans. It ain't a biggie though.
Pipe down2 Arsenal fans, 1 Spurs fan, 1 West Ham fan & Numero Your previous encounters with the rent boys havent exactly been thrilling to say the least