2008 Was A Very Shit Year For Hip-Hop

Thun

I cant name one album that has the potential to be a classic from everything released this yearSo much hype behind albums and most have been dissapointingNo Saigon or Papoose. They have blown there hype nowNas came with the same boring album deading hip hop even moreGames album was weakThen you got the micky mouse rappers like Weezey and Jeezey which I know did not have good reviews from what I have readEven underground hip hop was weak except for DJ Muggs vs Planet Asia which was alright Dont think 2009 will be promising but hopefully is better then what came in 2008

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is obligatory from hip-hop fans... every year, people complain about the year's music, every year they usually haven't looked very hard to find good sh*tBlack Milk - TronicElzhi - EuropassElzhi - The PrefaceRoyce - Bar Exam 2Q-Tip - The RenaissanceThe Roots - Rising DownTermanology - Politics As UsualNas - UntitledJean Grae & Blue Sky Black Death - The Evil JeaniusAtmosphere - When Life Gives You LemonsStatik Selektah - Stick 2 The ScriptJoe Budden - Halfway HouseBlack Milk, Elzhi and Royce really couldn't do anything wrong this year. Their combined output was a f*ck*ng tidal wave of sickness. Every time I hear the opening to the Black Milk album I nearly dislocate all my joints from shocking out so hard

Guest Wu-Tang

Tronic, Evil Jeanius, Bar and Europass are all I rate from that list, Europass and Preface are basically the same anyhow.Rising down was aight but I don't think as good as Game Theory.

Neeky rap is some illusion which only seems to work on the internet and to "retro boys/girls".Them neeks are too intricate for regular Joe and dont know how to make a hit/dumb it down. Who cared abut Lupe when the Chris Martin soundalike wasnt on the hook with that catchy beat? As I stated in the gangsta rap dead thread, gangsta rappers still outsell all them neeks. That machine needs to go in overdrive and needs to be pushed harrrrrrrrrrrrd for the net hype to translate in the pop worldNeeky rappers have a slightly better chance then funky of commercial success. Saying that, I need to hear more of Wale and Charlie boyAnd yes Cudi will get a top 10, but he hates the song and ranted about how he wants everyone who is a fan of his to stop supporting the record.

Tronic, Evil Jeanius, Bar and Europass are all I rate from that list, Europass and Preface are basically the same anyhow.Rising down was aight but I don't think as good as Game Theory.
It wasn't as good as Game Theory, but Rising Down, Lost Desire, Get Busy...? Deliciously dirty, heavy, gritty neck-snapping Roots sh*t. And the way Thought switches on 75 Bars, with that beat rumbling away, still sends me into a coma every time. As for the Elzhi, Europass and Preface between them have about 20 tracks of uninterrupted fire - he deserves utmost props for both releases. I'm surprised you didn't like the Termanology or the Q-Tip though. Both top quality imo.I've listened to more hip-hop sh*t this year than any year since about '04. There's been a lot of quality music for me to sink my teeth into, from all corners. On top of the standouts, there's been plenty strong releases coming in with their own measures of sickness... eMC, Crooked I, 9th Wonder & Buckshot, Roots Manuva, J-Live all had some extreme niceness on their recordsStill haven't got round to Scarface either

Is Royce's album from Super's list worth donwloading?
It's a mixtape... and Yes. It is worth downloading. The beats aren't Black Milk level, but they aren't poor by any standard.But most importantly.... you know how people say "he went in!" when they hear a hard verse? Well, Royce on Bar Exam 2 is the archetype of what it actually means to go the f*ck IN. Just straight rawness. He's the guy that every other miscellaneous aggressive braggadocio emcee aspires to be. You already know Royce is a behemoth - this is him at his angriest, unapologetically vitriolic best... just ripping sh*t, spitting about getting drunk and high, tearing down pompous bitches, assaulting people, shooting motherf*ckers, and being a superior rapper to nearly everybody ever. And singing in autotune about how sh*t autotune is. It's beautiful.Check it out and see for yourself.

Guest Wu-Tang
It wasn't as good as Game Theory, but Rising Down, Lost Desire, Get Busy...? Deliciously dirty, heavy, gritty neck-snapping Roots sh*t. And the way Thought switches on 75 Bars, with that beat rumbling away, still sends me into a coma every time. As for the Elzhi, Europass and Preface between them have about 20 tracks of uninterrupted fire - he deserves utmost props for both releases. I'm surprised you didn't like the Termanology or the Q-Tip though. Both top quality imo.I've listened to more hip-hop sh*t this year than any year since about '04. There's been a lot of quality music for me to sink my teeth into, from all corners. On top of the standouts, there's been plenty strong releases coming in with their own measures of sickness... eMC, Crooked I, 9th Wonder & Buckshot, Roots Manuva, J-Live all had some extreme niceness on their recordsStill haven't got round to Scarface either
Don't borhter with Scarface, trust me.The Rennesance was very good actually.Termanology.....good album but his songs seem to have 0 longevity bar a few.Loved the formula. sh*t, was that this year???....Boy, been a long year then, in all honesty have most likely forgotten everything that hasnt dropped in the last 3 months..

hip hop is mainstream.so to suggest neeky rappers wont outsell gangster rap is silly imo.mainstream audience are far more receptive to neeky rappers nowadays.even gangster rappers have diluted their sound in order to appeal to the mainstream, resulting in neeky raps all round.gangster rap will probably go back underground for while, then surface when this neeky 'i wanna be an artist' fad has died.

Some of my personal faves from this year...youngspray.jpggiggs.jpg333.jpgcover500.jpgtrilla.jpgti-papertrail.jpglil-wayne-tha-carter-3.gifmilliondollarbaby2.jpgmaxB.jpgmax-b-wavy-crockett.jpg2u9lsus.jpgYoung%20Jeezy%20CD%20Album%20Cover%20-%20The%20Recession.jpgCame out I think a week or 2 before '08 but most of the tunes got rinsed throughout the start of the year so it deserves a mention...publicdomain2.jpgNow I already know some of the 'real hip hop fans' on here are looking at my list and their face is like :rolleyes: or :confused: or :angry: or :blink: or :o or :/ but f*ck you guys, you make me sick and I really mean that from the bottom of my heart. B)

Now I already know some of the 'real hip hop fans' on here are looking at my list and their face is like :rolleyes: or :confused: or :angry: or :blink: or :o or :/ but f*ck you guys, you make me sick and I really mean that from the bottom of my heart. B)
fo'sho fuk dose real hip hop fans an dey structured sentences missa howard washingtonim gonna leave this thread now cause im not gonna contribute anything of worth.